Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know where the horns are in my 1996 STS as well as how many there are. My Dad's Park Avenue has four of them! Anyway I need to know how do take out the existing and put in the aftermarkets. The OE horn is shy. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are Hella's and PIAA's that I'm looking at. I am considering the PIAA Euro Tone ones:

PS - I don't mean the damn steering wheel spot that you hit w/ your hands.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Not sure where they are. Have someone blow the horn and follow your ears. Just unplug them and then unscrew the mount. Install in reverse.

·
Registered
2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)
1,915 Posts
i did it on my 94. my horn was a ***** sounding horn and it t'was Gay. so i put in two deep sounding horns with mad attitude.
now i can clear a intersection so fast :) LOL

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
They are usually located under the front of the car somewhere near the radiator support. Often in the gap behind the front fenders.
Sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left, sometimes both.

They are bolt on at any rate, usually it is one nut or bolt, unplug them and reverse for reinstall.

Cadi usually uses 2 horns, and A note and an F note for that distinctive sound.
If it sounds weak one of them has probably quit.
Make sure to mount them with the mouth of the horn pointing downward so it doesn't fill with water.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Make sure to mount them with the mouth of the horn pointing downward so it doesn't fill with water.
ooops :)
my horn was mounted in the front fender area.
i relocated it to under the headlight

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. :)
I was thinking about a train horn, but I don't think I want to risk going deaf.
I think I'll just get one that louder then the stock one.

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Many many moons ago I installed a set of air horns that where powered by a freon can (before anyone knew what ozone was). They were as loud as a semi horn. Boy the fun I had with those.:lildevil:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thank you. :)
I was thinking about a train horn, but I don't think I want to risk going deaf.
I think I'll just get one that louder then the stock one.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!
you have to do that for sure. come on. how often do you use your horn ? like 10% of the time Mount it under the front bumper so that the engine kinda is in it's way and so that its open to the streets in front of you
. . you have to do that
might as well now because knowing the government there will be some type of law against that soon.:thepan:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay fine! I found some good train horns! I will have to install the air lines, etc from the PSI tank to the horns. This'll be nice! lol I will post a video when I get them installed. It's a freakin TRAIN horn! It sounds exactly like a train!

Because I use my horn like once every two months I think it will be fine to do this. I am a responsible horn user; I only use it when people pull out RIGHT in front of me. I'll just have to contain the friendly honks -- the ones where your neighbor waves as you drive by...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL! No kidding. :lol:
That's why I said I'd AVOID the "friendly honks..."

PS - I will be the only one around my city with a train horn. :) Now that's unique.

aint now such thing as a friendly beep with a train horn.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Nothing is worse than the horn on my motorcycle.
It sounds like freaking Herbie the love bug or something.
One one of my bikes I tried to install an old horn off my Camaro but I never could find a place inside the fairings big enough with a bolt hole nearby.
Seems like smaller vehicles should have bigger horns than those cheesy things they use.

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
I eventually converted the freon to compressed air due to cost and mounted an air tank in the trunk. Wouldn't mind doing that again if I could find an easier way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts