Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 97 caterra and it seems to be running warm, on a hot day when I shut it off I can smell antifreeze, but can't see anything. The temp guage doesn't go to hot though and the oil is clear. How do I check for exhaust in the coolant? thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
I believe he may be asking how to tell if exhaust is escaping the cylinder into the coolant system (ie headgasket etc) i had a similar problem with my 97 deville and when i removed the cap on the overflow and tried to start the car it began to bubble over. ???????? hopefully that helps some...

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, 97candylacdevil, sorry if I wasn't too clear about wanting to check for a blown head gasket, that helps, appreciate your response.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I believe he may be asking how to tell if exhaust is escaping the cylinder into the coolant system (ie headgasket etc) i had a similar problem with my 97 deville and when i removed the cap on the overflow and tried to start the car it began to bubble over. ???????? hopefully that helps some...
Exhaust cannot escape into the coolant. With a blown head gasket you would have coolant getting into the exhaust.

You would see this as white smoke (water vapour) exiting from the tail pipe.

Since coolant ruins O2 sensors, this would quickly trigger a check engine light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts