Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,580 Posts
Actually they are not "sealed beams". Those where the round and then rectangular headlights that you could by EVERYWHERE for $3.00 (when someone wasn't having a sale on them). Once the government deregulated them, the auto makers all went their own direction and now they cost $10.00 for a bulb and $250.00 for the unit. :mad: But you still can't change the lense. Same for the rear tail lights. Used to be you could replace a lens for a couple of bucks. Now you replace the entire unit for hundreds.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Actually they are not "sealed beams". Those where the round and then rectangular headlights that you could by EVERYWHERE for $3.00 (when someone wasn't having a sale on them). Once the government deregulated them, the auto makers all went their own direction and now they cost $10.00 for a bulb and $250.00 for the unit. :mad: But you still can't change the lense. Same for the rear tail lights. Used to be you could replace a lens for a couple of bucks. Now you replace the entire unit for hundreds.
Sorry Ranger you're right I meant sealed enclosures, I know the bulbs are replaceable independently where-as Sealed Beams are off the shelf sealed glass filament and housing together.

I wish all headlights were still glass. Composite headlight pitting and yellowing is a HUGE problem down here in the Southeast. The best combination is what my 2003 Range Rover had... Glass enclosures with Xenon bulbs. No pitting, no yellowing, but still the brilliance and beauty of Xenon.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
if its anything like my headlights they come apart in 2 stages, first is the chrome/black rubber piece by clips, then 4 clips hold the lens to the housing, and finally they are sealed by headlight adhesive you have to bake them in oven or if like i did, they glue was so old the lights opened using a screw driver.

take a few pics of the top and front of the headlight and ill see, ive never looked at one in person to know

always remember if you think something is impossible your not thinking hard enough....

·
Premium Member
847 Posts

Yea they are the same as my lights, the headlights they come apart in 2 stages, first is the chrome/black rubber piece by clips, then 4 clips hold the lens to the housing, and finally they are sealed by headlight adhesive you have to bake them in oven or if like i did, the glue was so old the lights opened using a screw driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts