Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 sedan deville
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really..., how difficult is it to steal a mid model deville with the chip in the key???

I mean it's not like i want to steal one because i already own one just don't want it to get STOLEN.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
If you dont want everyone who looks at this thread to call bullshit, then I suggest you reword the question to "What can I do to prevent my chipped key deville from getting stolen".

Trust me, theres no way that "how easy can you steal a deville" doesnt look obvious.

As far as your question, if a person wants something bad enough, they will get it. A chip in a key is not gonna stop a determined and experienced thief. Theres plenty of ways around it which I wont get into. It also depends ALOT on what year of Deville your talking about.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Yeah, that Passkey system in the Cadillacs (all GM's really) is pretty simple...not nearly as complicated as the systems used by many foreign manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
If you dont want everyone who looks at this thread to call bullshit, then I suggest you reword the question to "What can I do to prevent my chipped key deville from getting stolen".

Trust me, theres no way that "how easy can you steal a deville" doesnt look obvious.

As far as your question, if a person wants something bad enough, they will get it. A chip in a key is not gonna stop a determined and experienced thief. Theres plenty of ways around it which I wont get into. It also depends ALOT on what year of Deville your talking about.
:thumbsup: Well said.

·
Registered
96 sedan deville
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well my deville is a 96 champange colored sedan style.

tinted windows so it'll be hard for B** wannabe jackers to think twice.

Like someones inside pointing a gun at the them the whole time their trying to break in. :thumbsup:

I'm only 18 in my deville i try to baby a lot i've already figured out the valet trick about the fuel door locking.

But i just need to know because some crackheads tryed to AMBUSH me the other night.

Yea i live in a preety bad neighborhood and my car looks like a typical drugdealers car with the fender ports, tint, rims, custom fog lights and white neon underbody lights.

So what i'm asking is .........is it difficult for a typical street thug (Not a gone in sixty seconds type of person) to get in and go.

I do everything i need to.

I lock my glove box at night after pushing in the valet button. I also activate the parking brake. I lock all my doors. All my windows stay up also.

is that enough for ya :confused:

lol but yea trust me i could get a picture of me in the damm thing tommorow if ya want ;) :)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Honestly, I am not sure how hard it is for them to get it. Many years ago when I lived in Chicago I was paranoid about this, and every car I owned had a hidden kill switch installed that grounded out the ignition, so even if you stole my keys, it would not start. I am sure there would be a way to do that on todays cars but I would want to be sure that it would not kill the PCM if attempted. I'd probably ground out one of the ICM wires and hide the switch in the trunk.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Just pull a bunch of wires under your hood each night. The thieves will try, get confused and find another car to work on.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Not only that but given the recent list of most stolen cars, I don't think you have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1990 Sedan de Ville 1995 eldorado 2000 buick century
89 Posts
well actually its quite easy i watched a show on it one night on tv, but i have a 1990 deville and it has the chip as well but to be safe i pull the pcm fuse and stick it under the seat so if they do break the window and the steering column....the car will still be there and i really doubt a thief is going to try to figure out why a car wont start and just move on to the next car..

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Buy insurance and move on. If someone wants it, believe me they'll take it. Call OnStar, call the police and collect the insurance money.

A smart thief would take the car with a flatbed like a repo guy and then play with it later. They'll be in and out in 5 minutes and you'll never even know.

·
Registered
1997 Dark Adriatic Metallic Blue Deville Sittin on 20 Chrome
328 Posts
A smart thief would take the car with a flatbed like a repo guy and then play with it later. They'll be in and out in 5 minutes and you'll never even know.
Couldn't have said it better... Folks who have connects will lift you car and take it somewhere where they can have all day to play with your car. But on a serious note cars get stolen all the time its a fact. If they want it they will get it... Be more concerned about people breakin in your car. If some one wants your car they will get, rather its by gun point or if someone lifts you car. File the calim and get your check and charge it to the game, some stuff is outta your hands.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Or better yet how hard is it to seel on to someone thats been reading this forum LOL. Just kidding, even Cad owners can talk a joke, can't they?

T

·
0 Posts
if it has bad head gaskets, buy full coverage insurance and park it at a Snoop Dog concert with the doors unlocked. LOL TexasCadllac

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
Had my pride and joy stolen back when I was 17--a beautiful and fast 1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee. Drove it to the Mall, went in to get something, 15 minutes tops, came back out, car was gone. The Police recovered the car in a nasty, gang infested neighborhood called Inglewood (suburb of Los Angeles). They stole my stereo, all my cassettes (remember those?), the wheels, the battery, then smashed the side into something. The mofoes! :mad: I rebuilt the car to better than it was before and got the last laugh. I hope the bastards died in some ditch somewhere in the hands of their fellow gangbangers.

Yeah. Car thieves suck!

If you live in a bad neighborhood, chances are good your car is a target. And from the way you describe it, it looks like a nice juicy target. I was going to say, the best defense is to make your car look like it isn't worth stealing but that's too late now! :lol: Here's what I would suggest however:

1) When you park your car, use one of those steering wheel locks. It won't completely protect your car but it will take the thieves longer to jack into. So they may just decide to move on to an easier target.

2) Do you have an alarm in it? Make sure it is 100% reliable (doesn't give you false alarms). If it has gone off during the night, you bet your ass someone is trying to see if YOU are paying attention. If this has happened, go outside and check. Let the bastards know you are listening.

3) NEVER leave any valuables in the car. NEVER. If you must, put it in the trunk out of sight.

4) When you're cruising, think "stealth mode". I know. It's tough when you're 18 and you want attention. But you don't want the wrong attention! Run in stealth mode by not playing your booming stereo loud so that thieves will hear and want it. Maybe turn off those neon lights when you're in a questionable area.

5) Don't park your car out of sight. Try to always park in a well lit area near a lot of people. And NEVER leave it unlocked, even for a second--like when you go and get cash from the ATM or buy a drink from the local 7-11.

6) Get insurance if you don't already.

·
Registered
94 Deville
35 Posts
I'm glad I live in a nice area. Without a/c I have to leave my windows down when I go shopping and stuff. But who wants to steal a caddi with rearend damage when chances are there are 4 or 5 perfect ones in the same parking lot unlocked also.

T

·
0 Posts
I'm glad I live in a good place in the country. I've never had a car stolen or broken into. I really appreciate this town after I come back from a big city no traffic jams here, and we don't have graffetti, I've only seen it here a couple of times around here. A lot of people in Texas have guns at home so I guess it makes a difference. TexasCadillac

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
if it has bad head gaskets, buy full coverage insurance and park it at a Snoop Dog concert with the doors unlocked. LOL TexasCadllac

Hahahahaha!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Really..., how difficult is it to steal a mid model deville with the chip in the key???

I mean it's not like i want to steal one because i already own one just don't want it to get STOLEN.

any help would be great.
Extremely easy. I used to do it all the time. Whoops. Got to go; the warden does not like me using his computer!!

LOL

·
Registered
96 sedan deville
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had my pride and joy stolen back when I was 17--a beautiful and fast 1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee. Drove it to the Mall, went in to get something, 15 minutes tops, came back out, car was gone. The Police recovered the car in a nasty, gang infested neighborhood called Inglewood (suburb of Los Angeles). They stole my stereo, all my cassettes (remember those?), the wheels, the battery, then smashed the side into something. The mofoes! :mad: I rebuilt the car to better than it was before and got the last laugh. I hope the bastards died in some ditch somewhere in the hands of their fellow gangbangers.

Yeah. Car thieves suck!

If you live in a bad neighborhood, chances are good your car is a target. And from the way you describe it, it looks like a nice juicy target. I was going to say, the best defense is to make your car look like it isn't worth stealing but that's too late now! :lol: Here's what I would suggest however:

1) When you park your car, use one of those steering wheel locks. It won't completely protect your car but it will take the thieves longer to jack into. So they may just decide to move on to an easier target.

2) Do you have an alarm in it? Make sure it is 100% reliable (doesn't give you false alarms). If it has gone off during the night, you bet your ass someone is trying to see if YOU are paying attention. If this has happened, go outside and check. Let the bastards know you are listening.

3) NEVER leave any valuables in the car. NEVER. If you must, put it in the trunk out of sight.

4) When you're cruising, think "stealth mode". I know. It's tough when you're 18 and you want attention. But you don't want the wrong attention! Run in stealth mode by not playing your booming stereo loud so that thieves will hear and want it. Maybe turn off those neon lights when you're in a questionable area.

5) Don't park your car out of sight. Try to always park in a well lit area near a lot of people. And NEVER leave it unlocked, even for a second--like when you go and get cash from the ATM or buy a drink from the local 7-11.

6) Get insurance if you don't already.

thanks man i appreciate that detailed responds (NO SARCASM)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts