Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I think I posted to wrong forum about cap. But here goes more of my tale of woe.
Since I couldnt get cap off myself. I finally got the young guy across street to undue it. I added some coolant myself. Rode to Radiator shop.
Lady there said bring it over, when I called. I did. of course the short 3 miles or so all the way said"check coolant" This was Last Friday.
After I get there. A guy says you have plenty coolant." It looks brown. We are too packed. Come back Monday." Dang coolant looked green to me when he took off my cap.:hmm::lies:
Boy was I ticked off.:bomb::annoyed::crying::mad2::ill::banghead: otherwise I wouldnt have left the house and the cool garage in this hot day
Only got several blocks down the road "stop engine" rough feel. Hurriedly pulled over to an empty church parking lot. Let it cool for a while. Started home again. Only got several blocks 'stop engine" again. Pulled over shoulder.
Walked across street and used a business' phone to call AAA. Had him take it, on his trailer, home and back it into my garage
Tuesday rolls around. started calling. Finally was advised to take it( by a radiator selling business, via phone.
He recommened (a mile or so away, to a general type small auto repair shop
I drove it there. Guy said , finally got to it after 2:30 or so.
when called back he said it was a pinhole leak in surge tank. Would have to order part. He said it was low on coolant and added some.
. As I do not like leave my car overnight.
I got ride there and drove it home.
PIN hole leak my#######.
I didnt get even a mile again after driving home and letting it sit for half and hour or so. and leaving again. Dang thing told me "stop Engine" again.
I hurriedly pulled over to a parking lot and let it cool for awhilee. Then proceeded the several blocks to my destination. Was there for like 45 minute.
Finally drove home the couple of miles. Barely made it to my driveway. DANG STOP ENGINE" again. coolant trail down my street and up my driveway. Pin hole leak > duh.......
So what you guys think about me ordering it myself????
I dont know if the Yahoo did any kind of pressure check. It sure wasnt visibly leaking before he had it.
Sorry for the long story but I'm PO.:mad2:
I dont know if I trust or believe either one of the two shops.:lies: Huh??
:lies:
So what do you Guys think.:hmm: If I had use of a car I would call a junk yard.
Or should I use GM direct. It has to be cheaper than ordering it from local dealer. ????
Thank you all
Jean

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
A surge tank will run you about $130 at the dealership for the part. It's available at Amazon & Rock Auto for about $70 it all depends how fast you need the surge tank.

Your surge tank is part of the pressurized cooling system on the Northstar engine. A pinhole can cause one heck of a leak at 10 psi. It sounds like it's leaking pretty bad.. therefore I would think that finding the leak would be pretty easy.

As far as replacing the surge tank it should be fairly easy for someone that is comfortable doing basic maintenance on their Caddy.

One thing that concerns me is that you said the coolant is green. The 1997 Deville came from the factory with GM Dexcool Coolant it's orange. Your car has been either converted (all the coolant changed) or someone's been mixing the 2... they are not compatible. If you haven't had the coolant replaced in the last 2 years I would say replace it when you get the surge tank replaced. Maybe someone else will chime in on the pros and cons on the Dexcool issue... I've always just run the Dexcool in mine.

On a side note... You particular year is prone to head gasket failure (very expensive to fix) I would change the coolant on a regular basis to help prevent this from happening.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,032 Posts
:yeah:

Good advice. If the coolant it currently green, stay with it and change it every two years with an absolute maximum of 3 years.

As 00 posted, changing the coolant tank is simple hand tools, BUT refilling the cooling system and purging the air bubbles from the piping involves some black magic - maybe you're better off with the dealer or a good Mom&Pop shop in this case.

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay try again. Was typing and page was reloading.
Why Rock auto or Amazon over gmparts.direct.????
Went to Amazon it wanted me to pick a "trim" I picked "base" I know its not a DElegance. It kept taking m back to "select a trim" Page. DUH....
I had it at a general auto shop. I dont know how well he inspected it. He didnt charge me anything he said if I brought it back. I hate paying him anything. So I guess I ought to offer him something. Cause he sure didnt help me.
well how do I find out if it is a head gasket????
Gotta do what I got to do to saVE MONEY. If I had access to another vehicle I would call junk yards. and drive there
Since I cant reverse time ( must have been a small stroke when I bought this##### THING) and unbuy this Cursemobile from My Sister. Im stuck fixing it probably
Thanks all its my bicycle in the meantime again
Oh Does Rock Auto charge more than came up on the screen price????
Like lot of businesses charge a #### handling charge?????
They showed $78.73. I guess it is the right part. I dont see a picture of it
ACDELCO Part # 19129961
TANK,RAD SURGE W/COOLANT SENSOR
I can afford this lots more than an estimated $300.00 from that general auto repair place
Jean

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
Gmpartsdirect is slow and strictly internet. Rockauto or Gmotors is fast and you can talk to a live person if you need to.

Napa has a "block test" kit to tell if it is the head gasket.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Nothing wrong with GM parts direct except they are slow to ship. Don't worry about the trim level it won't make a difference on this part. The surge tank part number is ACDELCO # 19129961.

As far as the shop you took it to... if you feel that he didn't help you, I don't think you owe him anything. Find a repair shop that you feel comfortable with ask around I'm sure that someone you trust could refer you to a good mechanic.
I didn't mean to scare you with the head gasket issue.... just was recommending to religiously change your coolant on a regular basis to try to avoid a major issue that certain model year Northstars have experienced. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Let's assume for now that your loss of coolant is related to the leaking surge bottle and not the worst case scenario.

PS... Update your location in your profile maybe a member could recommend a local shop.

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay
Gentlemen
I checked out the Ac delco site they directed me to
Rightnow auto parts I assume I can call and order???? I hate on line ordering
I lever hear of Gmotors????
What you all think???
Got to be some place close and bike home from. How many times will AAA tow me. So far just ONCE with this problem
Oh is there a site that show how with pics like found for replacing the starter>>>>?????
What that a great site a guy had colored great pictures
I m sure the library has something on line
Thanks all
Jean

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,032 Posts
www.gmotors.com is Palm Chevy/Cadillac in Gainesville, Florida.

www.rockauto.com is in the upper midwest.

Lindsay Cadillac over there >>>>>>> is in Northern Virginia.

If you're looking for instant gratification, there isn't much else besides your local Cadillac dealer. Yes, parts shipping can be costly, but the box has to move somehow..........factor the shipping costs into whatever wherever you buy.

Subscribe your car for 3 years to www.alldatadiy.com. Renewals are 2/3 the original cost. More info than you can ever assimilate.

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well gentleman what about the place I mentioned that
RightNowAutoParts.com????????
1-888-921-9154
Anybody do business with them???? :confused:
Seems like bad stuff happens around holidays for me.LOL
Sorry for this long tale of woe
This car has basically been sitting in my garage since Saturday night June 20 th.
I procrastinated. :crybaby: Hoping all it needed was more antifreeze.
Using my little bicycle to get around.
Plus I could not get the CAP off to even add more coolant. hate bothering my neighbors. Most are older than I am.
No ,I would like a magical fix. :) I know its not possible
I am so tempted to rent a car. Cant really afford that. tempted to advertise as is and TRADE someone for a little van or pickup.
Maybe I did join that car data place. My memory is bad, "senioritis" LOL
Gonna ask another question about repairs on passenger mirror. another bad luck in a hurry tale.:bigroll:
Thank youall so appreciate your patience and knowledge
Take care Blessings to all
Jean

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
I have never heard of or dealt with rightnowautoparts Jean. Both Rockauto & Gmotors have phone numbers listed and you can order over the phone. Both have about the best prices I have found.

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay wonderful Gentlemen
Going :bonkers. The pain in the ####::mad: hard to get toblankety blank SURGE TANK in now LOOSE loose. But cant wiggle it OUT out. HELP ME KEEP my Sanity......:helpless::helpless::hmm::alchi::crying2: Plus still not strong enought to get the cap off. LOL I got this far I dont want to give up and admit defeat. Im a stubborn hardheaded , whining, woman remember. LOL
Like pOPEYE I eat my GREENS but have Olive OYL's size and strength.
THe AC DRYER and car body is in the way.all those connector parts make it hard to wiggle it out too.
I had to use wrenches, sockets, extension and screwdrivers and muscle so far and lots of CURSING and Whining Im so s ared Im going to hurt myself or Slegehammer the car.:thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan:
Curses to Alldatadiy psst duh thinks everyone know it all and we are magical. They make it sound so simple.
HELP ME PLEASE
JEan

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never mind Guys. I know someone said a prayer for me. Or my Daddy , a mechanic.who died in the late 70s was by my side. Plus Im persistent and stubborn , little money,and hard headed about some things
Thank you all and Blessings to each of you. Pass it on
Plus God helps those who helps themselves.
Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts