Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Do You Think Alot Of People Ride On 26 Inch Rims With Stock Brakes?

How Dangerous Is That?

·
Registered
26 Posts
its not that bad....ive been rolling on 26's for 20k miles and its been fine you do need 2 allow a lil more room 2 stop but thats about it....i take my honda prelude 2 shows and i pull in in a steel trailer and even with all the extrsa weight it not bad @ all....of course when the stock brakes wear out im goin with brembos but the stocks are fine for now

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
It depends where you live and drive, if the area is flat like Texas or Florida you will not have that much of a problem, if you live or drive in areas with lots of hills or mountains you should get larger brakes right away. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hcvone said:
It depends where you live and drive, if the area is flat like Texas or Florida you will not have that much of a problem, if you live or drive in areas with lots of hills or mountains you should get larger brakes right away. :)

SO HCVONE, CAN I ASK YOU DO YOU THINK IT IS ADVISABLE TO UPGRADE TO A POWERSLOT PLUS BRAKE OR BAER ERADASPEEDY PLUS 1 AND 2 BRAKE SYSTEM? BECAUSE I AM NOT IF I WANT TO SPEND 4000 DOLLARS ON A BIG BRAKE UPGRADE. THANKS. THE ERADASPEED IS ABOUT A 1,300 UGRADE. THANKS. :bigroll:

ALSO DO YOU KNOW WHICH SYSTEM IS BETTER?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Yellowlude2nv, Can I Ask You How Soon Did You Have To Change Your Stock Brakes After Riding On 26's? Did You Even Have To Change The Breaks Yet With The 20,000 Miles?

And You Do Have An Escalade Right? And How Much Trimming Did You Have To Do In The Inner Tire Well? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
clubrph said:
Hello Yellowlude2nv, Can I Ask You How Soon Did You Have To Change Your Stock Brakes After Riding On 26's? Did You Even Have To Change The Breaks Yet With The 20,000 Miles?

And You Do Have An Escalade Right? And How Much Trimming Did You Have To Do In The Inner Tire Well? Thanks.
yes 2005 EXT im still on the stock brakes theres about half left on them as for the trimming i didnt do any @ all and it is lowerd 2/3 of course it does rub when i turn the wheel all the way in either direction or i take curve a lil 2 fast.......but its just cheap thin plastic its worn off so its not bad @ all now

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
clubrph said:
SO HCVONE, CAN I ASK YOU DO YOU THINK IT IS ADVISABLE TO UPGRADE TO A POWERSLOT PLUS BRAKE OR BAER ERADASPEEDY PLUS 1 AND 2 BRAKE SYSTEM? BECAUSE I AM NOT IF I WANT TO SPEND 4000 DOLLARS ON A BIG BRAKE UPGRADE. THANKS. THE ERADASPEED IS ABOUT A 1,300 UGRADE. THANKS. :bigroll:

ALSO DO YOU KNOW WHICH SYSTEM IS BETTER?
The Eradispeed +1's or Powerslot plus will help you stop much better, I have had the Baer Eradispeed +1's and they made a big difference in stopping, but as they say you get what you pay for, the big brake kits for 3k to 4k really stop well. It all depends on where you live and drive, if your state is flat the Eradispeed +1's will work fine, if you live in the hills or mountains get the big brakes.

·
Registered
None - 2007 Range Rover
1,452 Posts
Remember that the stock brakes will wear out a lot faster since you are on 26 inch rims. Don't let this slip your mind because it can definitly get very dangerous real fast. I would start looking into a brake upgrade because you will most definitly need to install new ones in the near future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if i upgrade to a bigger rotor like the 14" rotor on a baer eradaspeed plus 1 will my brakes wear down fast?

and when installing new pads, should i get cadillac pads or hawk pads?

if hawk pads will they squeal? anyone knows?

·
Registered
44 Posts
why do you need larger brakes just because you have larger diameter wheels? Other than so the rotors don't look like little saucers, I see no disadvantage of not upgrading

·
Registered
None - 2007 Range Rover
1,452 Posts
The only reason for upgrading brakes would be for safety. If you have 26" rims, the wheels are very heavy, causing your car to be heavier. With this, the brakes have a lot more to stop, not only because of the weight, but because of the size of the wheel as well. As stated before me, it definitly depends on where you live. If your state is flat, you will not need the upgrade that badly, but if your state has hills, the upgrade would be a good idea. If it were me, I would take the upgrade just to be safe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Swapped CTS-V for Camaro ZL1
292 Posts
nyssa7 said:
why do you need larger brakes just because you have larger diameter wheels? Other than so the rotors don't look like little saucers, I see no disadvantage of not upgrading
As it was stated before the unsprung weight is what causes problems. The vehicle is designed to stop with stock 17" wheels in a normal situation. I'm assuming none of you have had to panic stop at 80mph? Adding heavier wheels is really pushing your luck. As far as the cost what's more expensive 3-4k for aftermarket brakes or paying a higher premium after you've plowed into the back of someone's vehicle due to the inability to make the stop and they are suing you for bodily injury even though they may not have been truly injured? I've outbraked some passenger cars with the addition of 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers. It's well worth the peace of mind. At least for me. Just my 2cents.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
blown black caddy said:
As it was stated before the unsprung weight is what causes problems. The vehicle is designed to stop with stock 17" wheels in a normal situation. I'm assuming none of you have had to panic stop at 80mph? Adding heavier wheels is really pushing your luck. As far as the cost what's more expensive 3-4k for aftermarket brakes or paying a higher premium after you've plowed into the back of someone's vehicle due to the inability to make the stop and they are suing you for bodily injury even though they may not have been truly injured? I've outbraked some passenger cars with the addition of 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers. It's well worth the peace of mind. At least for me. Just my 2cents.:thumbsup:
good point. Plus I dont see why someone would pass on upgrading, especially after having the ability to fork over the money for 26s with tires. ;)

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS
974 Posts
I hope those rims are forged.. I couldn't imagine putting 26 inch rims on my 2000 (rear drum brakes), cause I've noticed a difference in braking with my 22 inch rims. If you install 26 inch rims, please upgrade your brakes. It's not your own driving you have to worry about, but the other idiots who seem to gather on the highway everytime it rains. I would say it's dangerous to ride 26 inches on stock.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just got 22's and i Notice a big difference. I could imagine being scared shitless going fast on 26's. I want to do an upgrade but cant afford brembo's. iknow when i had an Integra i just upgraded to a different pad and slightly larger rotors that were drilled and slotted and those stopped my car way better.

what would be a good upgrade, since i need new brakes, without spending a 1000+ on it. I dont do any towing, never plan on doing 24's, and live in So Cal.
thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you don't want to spend the cash then just get the eradispeed +1 which gives you a 14" rotor. You use your existing pistons and they came with a bracket to mount on the larger rotors. I'd say in the $500 ballpark.

·
Registered
372 Posts
that is what i am thinking now after searching the forums. thanks horny. I think i will either do that or juts do some baer or brembo rotors. no size increse but its cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts