Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2013 luxury 2.0t, 27k miles. #3 piston failure last month and 500 miles later the same problem happened. This almost caused me get in a accident on the freeway with my two year old daughter in the car.
The car currently at the dealership, (towed by cadillac). The Power steering would fail and the car would stall out while driving.
I have feeling they will try to fix the Pistons and again and try to give me this car back, I honestly would feel better with another ATS or my money back! How could I go about getting GM to replace the car?

I have an open case on the car filed by a moderator on this forum.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,515 Posts
Look up the Lemon Laws for your state. Pretty simple to see what is required and if you want them to do more than is required you will have to ask them but they won't be required to do it.

Right now the law may say it isn't a lemon even though you think it is.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,298 Posts
Piston failures is a known issue with some 2.0 engines and Cadillac has stepped up to the plate to fix these issues; Cadillac owes you a 'good' engine (but don't think owes you a new car). JMO You should also report this and any dangerous issue(s) to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Piston failures is a known issue with some 2.0 engines and Cadillac has stepped up to the plate to fix these issues; Cadillac owes you a 'good' engine (but don't think owes you a new car). JMO You should also report this and any dangerous issue(s) to the NHTSA.
But isn't the cause of the problem the engine itself? There is multiple users who had 2+ engines blown!

Update. Brothers cadillac called me and informed he previous dealership that did the repair will be towing the cadillac to their dealership they say its a internal problem probably the rods or rotor? I'm not mechanically incline so something along those lines.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
But isn't the cause of the problem the engine itself? There is multiple users who had 2+ engines blown!
I think that actually means its slightly less likely an engine problem. When even a few have multiple failures while the vast majority have none, it suggests some other factor caused the multiple failures. If it was the engine itself, the odds of it biting the same person more than once would be astronomical. Multiple failures are probably something else in the car contributing to the failures OR the dealer screwing up the the previous repair/replacement.

Single failures could also be something else about the car. Or the engine design not expecting things the driver did or the environment it was driven in.

All would be GM's fault of course. But multiple failures for one owner? I'll bet those are something other than the engine itself.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,005 Posts
Ordinarily a manufacturer gets three tries to fix the same problem or the car is declared a lemon. They then buy the car back and sell it to the next goober.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that actually means its slightly less likely an engine problem. When even a few have multiple failures while the vast majority have none, it suggests some other factor caused the multiple failures. If it was the engine itself, the odds of it biting the same person more than once would be astronomical. Multiple failures are probably something else in the car contributing to the failures OR the dealer screwing up the the previous repair/replacement.

Single failures could also be something else about the car. Or the engine design not expecting things the driver did or the environment it was driven in.

All would be GM's fault of course. But multiple failures for one owner? I'll bet those are something other than the engine itself.
Could it just have been a bad batch of engines from production period?

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
In lemon law, which differs from state to state, there is normally a time clause. When did you buy the car? Was it new? If this is a 2013 model year, and you, or someone else, bought it back in 2013, probably the period that you can use the lemon law has already passed. I am not sure about this, please check your state's lemon law to see the details.

The second best option (after the option of having the GM buys the car back) is to have Cadillac put a new engine in it. An engine might fail, things happen regardless which brand you buy. Based on what the second dealer says, my best guess is that the first dealer has made a mistake in assembling the engine back together. This is actually very likely. And this is why I don't like any major work on my car. Engine is a very complex system, and many technicians are very careless.
I am not sure what is your chances of having GM buys your car back. And I am not sure how much time (and money) are you willing to allocate for this case to pursue it. But the second option, convincing Cadillac to put a new engine, is more likely to happen than convincing them to buy your car back. Just saying, this is my two cents, this is all up to you.

----------

:yeah:

Once upon a time, there was an ATS owner, who claimed had 4 blown motors. And claimed his car was stock. In the same thread, other users proved that he was lying at least about his first car, and he had tuned the engine. Recently the same owner posts somewhere else (out of this forum) where he writes that his car is up for sale, and he is selling his ATS stuff, and he lists many many performance oriented items for sale. LoL!

When an engine fails, and the dealer (tries to) fixes the engine, it is possible that they put together the engine in a way that something is out of spec, and the engine might fail again. I think this is the case in this thread. But the probability that more than one new engines blows in one specific person's car is very very slim and it is virtually zero. We should be looking at the owner and what he does to the engine. The constant is the owner.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,364 Posts

Once upon a time, there was an ATS owner, who claimed had 4 blown motors. And claimed his car was stock. In the same thread, other users proved that he was lying at least about his first car, and he had tuned the engine. Recently the same owner posts somewhere else (out of this forum) where he writes that his car is up for sale, and he is selling his ATS stuff, and he lists many many performance oriented items for sale. LoL!

When an engine fails, and the dealer (tries to) fixes the engine, it is possible that they put together the engine in a way that something is out of spec, and the engine might fail again. I think this is the case in this thread. But the probability that more than one new engines blows in one specific person's car is very very slim and it is virtually zero. We should be looking at the owner and what he does to the engine. The constant is the owner.
Yes, I remembered that thread and thought something fishy at the time....especially how he was adamant of not tuning or modifying his engines. :bigroll: Interesting point about used cars; I do believe you are correct in that lemon laws were established for new vehicles....not old or used. Outside of used car warranties, most used cars sold are under the "as is" umbrella.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In lemon law, which differs from state to state, there is normally a time clause. When did you buy the car? Was it new? If this is a 2013 model year, and you, or someone else, bought it back in 2013, probably the period that you can use the lemon law has already passed. I am not sure about this, please check your state's lemon law to see the details.

The second best option (after the option of having the GM buys the car back) is to have Cadillac put a new engine in it. An engine might fail, things happen regardless which brand you buy. Based on what the second dealer says, my best guess is that the first dealer has made a mistake in assembling the engine back together. This is actually very likely. And this is why I don't like any major work on my car. Engine is a very complex system, and many technicians are very careless.
I am not sure what is your chances of having GM buys your car back. And I am not sure how much time (and money) are you willing to allocate for this case to pursue it. But the second option, convincing Cadillac to put a new engine, is more likely to happen than convincing them to buy your car back. Just saying, this is my two cents, this is all up to you.

----------

I'm fine with the same aslong as it is safe. I'm not into tuning or anything like that

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6 Performance Premium
242 Posts
I don't know what to think any more. I do remember the person discussed above who swore up and down everything was stock; but he had posted pics in other threads about the mods he made though, IIRC.

There is a former poster in the 2014+ CTS forums who had his original car replaced by Cadillac after 6 weeks due to "structural problems" with the front suspension; now he claims in another forum that it is constantly stalling, dying and has grabby steering that 2 dealers cannot fix. He claims his relationship with the dealer has gone 180 degrees for no known reason. I suspect there is a very real reason but do not know what it is. Nevertheless, he has now involved lawyers and the BBB arbitration process is apparently underway. I find it hard to believe Cadillac would just deny any responsibility to fix it as he claims.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,364 Posts
^^^^^^ As always Greg_B, there are two sides to every story.:yup:

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope you guys seriously don't think I modded my car... IM not into stuff like that, only thing that isn't stock on my car is the 20" wheels.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the car will ready tomorrow apparently it was a broken cam valve in the upper engine which was causing the problem instead of the Pistons which I am being told.
I'm sill skeptical because this is the second time the engine/car has been broken down and reassembled

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Hope you guys seriously don't think I modded my car... IM not into stuff like that, only thing that isn't stock on my car is the 20" wheels.
We are just talking about another member. I am actually pretty positive that your current problem was something that happened during the dealer's first "fix." Hope this time they have done a better job!

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are just talking about another member. I am actually pretty positive that your current problem was something that happened during the dealer's first "fix." Hope this time they have done a better job!
I agree.. Because the dealership that was closer to the car when it was broke down called the previous dealership about the work they performed and they picked it up. So probably was something done wrong

1 - 16 of 16 Posts