Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Eldorado
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little turn signal lights on top of the front fender are burned out on my 87 Eldorado.

I started to pry the assembly out but it was tight and I am not sure if that is the way to change them.

How do I change them?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The ones that are at hood level and aimed at the driver? I thought those were fiber optics rather than bulbs, but since it's an 87 hell if I know.

·
Registered
1987 Eldorado
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the ones at eye level on the fender next to the hood.

They may be fiber optics. When I looked closely at them I don't see any bulbs in the little lens assembly.

So how do you fix these lights?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
You know what... I don't know. I thought the ones on my 75 were dead but upon closer inspection the car had been repainted and they were just coated in paint. Would be nice to know in case they do go out some time.

Hmm... more RWD Fleetwoods and Devilles had these compared to FWD cars like yours so you might try asking in the RWD forum if no one responds here. Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
PeteC said:
Yes the ones at eye level on the fender next to the hood.

They may be fiber optics. When I looked closely at them I don't see any bulbs in the little lens assembly.

So how do you fix these lights?
What happens is the fiber optic cable (ends) either get dirty (most likely) or come loose from their respective mountings. Each headlamp, corner lamp, or turn signal, (depending on model and year) has a small stub to facilitate the optic cable and rubber and brass sleeve. Generally speaking the rubber becomes brittle and cracks allowing moisture and dirt to enter the cavity where the fiber optic cable seats. Sometimes just cleaning the end of the optic and cavity along with some electrical tape over the rubber is enough to bring the light the fender luminators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts