Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2008 CTS in for a service maintenance and one of the things the mechanic mentioned was there was a small crack in my differential.I was told it was nothing to worry about but that they needed to periodically take a look at it because if it got worse the repairs could be more costly.

The car has driven flawlessly, has around 90K pampered miles on it and runs like new; so to receive this information was totally unexpected. But I'm no mechanic so I cannot invalidate the assessment.

But rather than continually take my car back to the service center to check the status of the differential, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what some of the signs of a failing differential are that a regular driver would be able to hear or tell during driving that would indicate an upcoming differential issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cracks can cause leaking. That would be the big tell tale. When my front carrier was cracked my shifter moved around in my hand, sort of a rock back and forth. The early CTS-V's were notorious for cracked rear differentials. You didn't mention whether it was front or rear but I can tell you from changing my own front carrier (differential up front is called a carrier on these cars) it won't cost more labor to take it out completely dead or just dying. I would recommend driving it until you have an issue and then go from there. There are quite a few 'parts' cars out there, you could always save a few dollars putting in a previously serviced part and adding all new seals so it won't leak.

HTH,
Cassidy

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,173 Posts
Pretty much all I can think of is you may hear a whining coming from your diff as you drive. Fluid levels are going to be a key here.

Where's it cracked, and how in hades did it crack? That's a new one for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts