Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's been under the back seat - it's nice and clean. :)

But is there a date stamp on the battery somewhere?

How do I know when it's time to change?

2001 STS BTW

THANKS!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,494 Posts
There's a date code either branded into the top of the battery or on the side label. There was a post down in Electrical a year or so back on how to figure the code out. I think it's a 3 character deal with the first letter being the month and the second two digits being the year, as in D02: April 2002.

If it's a side post ACDelco battery and the terminals look untouched it's probably the original and you're on borrowed time. Replace it with the same ACDelco battery. You don't need to get creative about batteries unless you're going whole hog on an interior boombox system. Clean the terminals well and inspect the ground cable where it bolts to the weld stud on the floor pan. There have been some cases of corrosion there. In any event, you MUST use a battery with the side vents as installed or else the corrosive vapor from charging cycles will destroy everything under the seat in a month or so. An AGM battery, such as an Optima, do not have or need vents, but that's overkill for a daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
If that is the factory battery, it did one hell of a job. My '03 was just replaced last Jan. My daughters '02 was showing no signs of failure, but we changed it out to be on the safe side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts