Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 76 sedan deville, but the thing that bothers me is that old car smell in the interior. Maybe its because I am so used to driving new cars, but I just hate that old oily gasy smell the permiates the interior.....

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Search the internet for pet carpet cleaning supplies. They have organic compounds in them that kill all the mildew and such in the carpet, instead of just covering them up. Removing 8 year old french fries from under the seat usually helps too!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you guys are saying that the carpet is the source of that old car smell? could it be from the seats too, or is it usually from the carpet? If it is the carpet, I can just replace the carpet with a new one. I found some pre-fitted ones on EBAY

·
Registered
927 Posts
If your seats are cloth it could be the seats

Most likely your carpet if you think about it your bringing in mud/dirt/water and other bacteria in that sets itself in time and start to smell.

I would recommend taking it to a car wash and having them clean it thoroughly when they actually use like a wet vacuum they kind of use water and soap let it sit for a while and then vacuum it out that usually gets most of the dirt out of the carpet even under it too.

If you have the money then replacing the carpet will help lots.

How often do you wash the car etc.? just vacuuming a carpet won't do much for the water/oil/mud that is setting in the carpet only those deep water/soap vacuum jobs will help smells.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Look around really carefully for a water leak. Old Cadillacs usually don't smell. The exception to this was the Fleetwood Coupe that I bought from a Mexican gang member in the 'hood. Dunno what went on in THAT car. It was still funky after 2 years inside the garage. Parted that one out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts