Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
CT6 plug-in, ELR, Tesla Model X, Ford Fusion Energi
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/01/how-cadillac-improved-power-output-2016-elr-25-percent/

Some key quotes:

- Cadillac spokesperson David Caldwell told AutoblogGreen in an email that the new ELR does indeed have more than just new lines of code. "One could not 'reflash' a previous ELR to get the performance of a 2016," Caldwell said. "If one only changed software, you would not get the performance upgrade fully, as the 2016 creates higher current, more power. So these have been upgraded physically – hardware. And yes of course there is also new software on top."

- Sam Abuelsamid, senior research analyst at Navigant Research said that any of the unspecified upgrades would be difficult to tell on a part-by-part basis, but the overall effect will be noticeable. "The changes to the ELR as I understand them are analogous to getting more performance out of a 1965 Mustang with the entry version of the 289 cubic-inch V8. You can replace the carburetor with a larger version that enables more air and fuel to flow into the engine, thus producing more power. The basic engine hasn't changed, but power capability is being unleashed by feeding it more. Cadillac has changed components in the power electronics to enable more current flow into the motor and thus produce more torque."

- Caldwell also said that the 2016 ELR has an expanded Sport Mode. Previously, there was a sort of "dual motor" condition where the engine could couple to the gearset through the electric motor to have both motors operating together. This setup would be used for high-load operations during low state-of-charge conditions only. "Now for 2016, in Sport Mode, we can have the 'dual' power thing, and its use is expanded," Caldwell said. "This is a revision – but only in certain conditions, not just by selecting Sport Mode. In Sport Mode, the system will only go to the 'dual' operation when conditions merit (such as aggressive throttle application, etc.). If acceleration or throttle is moderate or mild in Sport Mode, then power is delivered 'normally.' And even when operating in the standard power condition, it's more powerful than previously." Abuelsamid said that from what he understands, the new Sport Mode gives the new ELR the capability to use power that was previously only available at higher speeds. "Now you can have both motors and the engine contributing to the torque at the wheels at low speeds," he said.

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
Blasphemy, Thanks for the info and links.

One thing I noticed about Caldwell's comments is that he uses the words "Probably" and "from what I understand". This translates to me as "I kind of know what I'm talking about, but not really" It either needs upgraded clutches, bearings and gears or it doesn't. I'm not interested to hear what he "probably" thinks is needed.

His comment "If one only changed software, you would not get the performance upgrade fully". I am okay with that, I don't need "fully" even if they shaved 1 second off or .5 seconds off, I would be okay with that. Tesla sent out updates that are .1 second improvements. The point being that it shows appreciation to customers and not the typical, we've already got your money so who cares. I'm giving Cadillac the opportunity to show me what kind of company they are. If they don't show me they care or don't put in the effort with updates, in a couple of years from now my next 100k+ will not be going to them. Talk is cheap, its actions that count.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idleup won't even answer the first challenge to demonstrate his magical ELR under controlled, observable conditions. So yes - I expect him to post how he got the 2016 ELR to go from 0-60 in 4 seconds (and he probably did it last week even though the car isn't available).

Thinking magical thoughts doesn't make fallacy and fantasy a reality, unfortunately. But enjoy your "special" head place, Nomas.

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
Idleup won't even answer the first challenge to demonstrate his magical ELR under controlled, observable conditions. So yes - I expect him to post how he got the 2016 ELR to go from 0-60 in 4 seconds (and he probably did it last week even though the car isn't available).

Thinking magical thoughts doesn't make fallacy and fantasy a reality, unfortunately. But enjoy your "special" head place, Nomas.
Talk about fallacy and fantasy ! Your still denying the many climate changes that have occured during earths estimated 4billion year history . Provable facts like periods so hot and moist that vegation supported animals like dinasaurs .

Now your free to claim this Wikepedia article is biased and that earth has never cooled or warmed until the last 200 years when humans started using fossil fuels . That belief fits in with your magical thinking that human activity is changing the climate .
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Earth

·
Registered
2014 black/cashmere ELR
44 Posts
Talk about fallacy and fantasy ! Your still denying the many climate changes that have occured during earths estimated 4billion year history . Provable facts like periods so hot and moist that vegation supported animals like dinasaurs .

Now your free to claim this Wikepedia article is biased and that earth has never cooled or warmed until the last 200 years when humans started using fossil fuels . That belief fits in with your magical thinking that human activity is changing the climate .
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Earth
Blast, he's drunk the oil and coal industry Kool-Aid, so you're wasting your keystrokes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know. But it's sorta fun watching Nomas make a fool out of himself.

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
I don't consider myself a green person but I try my best to do what I think is right for the environment. I don't dispute any of your claims in regards to climate change but once again I don't know what you are trying to prove other than you just want to argue with people. So far this is what I have learned about you:
You hate oil companies
you hate coal that only tesla buyers use
you hate diesel that is used by those damn tesla buyers tow trucks
you hate tesla and anyone who buys a tesla
you hate solar panels
you hate wind power
you hate any sort of goverment money going to any company. (Except for GM because well that was different and ok)
you like the ELR

Its all just a bunch of contradiction. I can see why people don't understand what you're trying to say and ignore you.

·
Registered
2014 black/cashmere ELR
44 Posts
Neither of you have addressed the many climatic changes which are accepted and provable.
If you don't think the burning of fossil fuels is causing climate change you are a moron. You read and listen to organs that are shills for the fossil fuel industry rather than independent scientists who have no axe to grind other than make everyone aware that something has to be done...and soon. Now go back to reading Heartland Institute propaganda and listening to the right-wing asses on Fox News and stop writing your uninformed nonsense here.

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
If you don't think the burning of fossil fuels is causing climate change you are a moron. You read and listen to organs that are shills for the fossil fuel industry rather than independent scientists who have no axe to grind other than make everyone aware that something has to be done...and soon. Now go back to reading Heartland Institute propaganda and listening to the right-wing asses on Fox News and stop writing your uninformed nonsense here.
Are really denying that earth has not gone through many different climatic changes before humans began using oil ?
Since you ignored the wikepedia site . Here is another source explaining many climate changes during earths estimated 4 billion year history .
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/7x.html

"Climatologists have used various techniques and evidence to reconstruct a history of the Earth's past climate. From this data, they have found that during most of the Earth's history global temperatures were probably 8 to 15 degrees Celsius warmer than today. In the last billion years of climatic history, warmer conditions were broken by glacial periods starting at 925, 800, 680, 450, 330, and 2 million years before present.

The period from 2,000,000 - 14,000 B.P. (before present) is known as the Pleistocene or Ice Age. During this period, large glacial ice sheets covered much of North America, Europe, and Asia for extended periods of time. The extent of the glacier ice during the Pleistocene was not static. The Pleistocene had periods when the glacier retreated (interglacial) because of warmer temperatures and advanced because of colder temperatures (glacial). During the coldest periods of the Ice Age, average global temperatures were probably 4 - 5 degrees Celsius colder than they are today.

Not to offend you or anything,but it takes a certain gullibility to believe earths temperature has been static up until the last 100 years or so .

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
Who is claiming that the earth has not gone through different climactic changes. Once again, you pick and choose one element and come to an irrational conclusion that just because the earth had climactic changes on its own, all scientific evidence stating that pollution is creating climate change is false. What is the bases of this conclusion, Why can't it be both?

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
Re: How Cadillac improved power output in 2016 ELR c i

Who is claiming that the earth has not gone through different climactic changes. Once again, you pick and choose one element and come to an irrational conclusion that just because the earth had climactic changes on its own, all scientific evidence stating that pollution is creating climate change is false. What is the bases of this conclusion, Why can't it be both?
It cant be both because the political class and the wealthy do NOT act like earth is in a crisis mode .
For example lets assume for just this post that the burning of fossil fuel is causing a dramatic and irreversable harm to earth's climate .That's the premise,correct ?

Now why do you think the president who has stated he believes climate change is caused by mans activitys( use of fossil fuel) would burn personally in excess of 1 million gallons of fuel by using "Air Force 1 " for frivolous trips like fund raising,golf trips,etc ?
I see only 3 possiblities,
#1 He really doesn't believe the global warming,global cooling,climate change is caused by the use of oil.
#2 He thinks because he is against global warming,global cooling,climate change his personal activities do not contribute to the problems he claims are destroying earth.
#3 He is an extremely selfish individual who says (privately) I dont care how much damage i do to the earth . Im going to enjoy my time.

Another glaring example of global warming,global cooling,global climate change hypocrites was the " climate conference " at Davos Switzerland,in this recent example , the save the planet billionaires ran of room to park their private jet planes.

Its not my intention to complain about how the very wealthy spend their money or use oil . Its my contention if there is any validity to the hypothesis that oil is harming the earth. These folks wouldn't use so much of it .

·
Registered
ELR
25 Posts
or.... maybe its not like a light switch.

Are you claiming that if the President of the United States believes, no lets go even further, "knows" that mans activities are harming the planet that he should just turn off the switch and ban all oil and coal products the next day. Do you know how devastating that would be to your economy, let alone the deaths caused by the shut down of transportation, electricity, heating, etc.... A responsible government would identify the problem and slowly implement a plan to slowly transition economies and technologies. It will take decades to change, not days.

So you are saying that climate change can't be caused by both natural and man made conditions even though they are both scientifically proven to be true because your US politicians and some rich people aren't running around screaming doom. You give way too much credit to your politicians if that's who you rely on for your facts. Then you conclude to your hypothesis that because people who believe that oil is harming the earth are still using oil, it means that oil is not harming the earth. LOL! this is truly getting funny.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Altivec - he obviously has been brainwashed and has no idea what he's talking about. I would recommend not feeding the troll since he's already derailed this thread.

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
or.... maybe its not like a light switch.

Are you claiming that if the President of the United States believes, no lets go even further, "knows" that mans activities are harming the planet that he should just turn off the switch and ban all oil and coal products the next day. Do you know how devastating that would be to your economy, let alone the deaths caused by the shut down of transportation, electricity, heating, etc.... A responsible government would identify the problem and slowly implement a plan to slowly transition economies and technologies. It will take decades to change, not days.

So you are saying that climate change can't be caused by both natural and man made conditions even though they are both scientifically proven to be true because your US politicians and some rich people aren't running around screaming doom. You give way too much credit to your politicians if that's who you rely on for your facts. Then you conclude to your hypothesis that because people who believe that oil is harming the earth are still using oil, it means that oil is not harming the earth. LOL! this is truly getting funny.
Not quite Sir , I believe if the president and wealthy private jet plane owners really believed the burning of oil was destroying the planet they would cut back on using so much of it . The president would have NOT sent a jet to fly in his favorite pizza chef from Chicago or fly his dog on a separate plane to his vacation spot,he would not have personally burned over a million gallons of jet fuel . Keep in mind I think he has every right to use as much oil as he wants,likewise the private jet set. Its their money and its none of my business where they spend it . And yes I do I reject "man made global warming,global cooling,climate change .

If those theory's had scientific validly,political hacks pretending to be scientist's would not have faked the hockey stick data .
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2005/03/03/hockey-stick-1998-2005-rip/
"It’s not that a single discovery can’t change the existing scientific paradigm—in fact sudden changes are more characteristic of how science progresses than are slowly evolving ideas—it is just that rarely are new paradigms so immediately embraced and exalted as was the “hockey stick.” Instead, new paradigms are typically met with skepticism and disdain as the mainstream is slow to let go of the conventional wisdom. In the case of the “hockey stick” this process was turned on its head—the “hockey stick” immediately was held up as the symbol of “mainstream” thought and anyone who did not wholly accept it was labeled as a skeptic. Additionally, the members of the mainstream often united in organized efforts to severely rebuke each any every critique of the “hockey stick,” oftentimes resorting to personal attacks against the critical party.'

forum members will notice the personal attacks,they will further notice the lack of rebuttal by some members .

I believe cadillac is to be commended for their effort at building this beautiful luxury car . I have nothing against the car or those who buy it .
Bob Lutz summed up my views on global warming,global cooling , global climate change when he called the entire concept " A crock of xxxx" !

·
Registered
14 ATS4 Premium
66 Posts
Give it up nomas. They have all the answers and we are idiots. You know it may be possible that the opposite is true. Anyway you can't get on top of these douche bags in any case!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts