Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how big of a rim I can go on my 05' deville without any spacers or suspension adjustments? Just straight from the box to the hub!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
Does anyone know how big of a rim I can go on my 05' deville without any spacers or suspension adjustments? Just straight from the box to the hub!
=====================
Just straight from the box to the hub!
26" if you don't use a tire -

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ya no doubt! U wouldn't happen to know how big with a medium size tire tho would u? Low pro makes the ride to ruff! Am I safe to go 17 or 18 tops

·
19,863 Posts
Ha ya no doubt! U wouldn't happen to know how big with a medium size tire tho would u? Low pro makes the ride to ruff! Am I safe to go 17 or 18 tops
------------------
absolutely -
in fact there are a few Cadillac OEM wheels in 17" and 18" -

for aftermarket -
get the correct OFFSET -
and don't let anyone talk you into anything wider than 8.5" -

the CORRECT tire size will fit without rubbing -
or throwing the speedo off - much
what you NEED is:

235/55/17 -
these are slightly taller than the original 225/60/16 - about 1/2 inch -
at 65mph on the speedo - your actual speed will be 66.34 mph -
or
235/45/18 -
they are very slightly smaller in diameter - 3/10 of an inch -
at 65mph on the speedo - your actual speed will be 64.26 mph -

and don't let anyone talk you into a different size -
255's are too wide - and WILL rub -
and you would have to go with a lower profile - 50's or 40's

----------------

found another optional size for the 18's -
225/50/18 - less than 1/4 inch difference -
at 65 - you are actually going 65.56 -

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx a lot ! I really appreciate the help! And jealous that u guys get to do 60 mph on the highway ! Isn't that like 120k? All our highways are 100 k max and they write tickets like it's going out of style ! They take pictures with airplanes and everything! Anyway once again thanx very much! I've been wondering what my optons were , I may go with the 18 !

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
Get into www.tirerack.com and use the selection boxes to look at different tires.

Your original tire size is on the driver's door sticker - write down all the physical specs for THAT tire and use it as your new tire selection criteria - especially tire outside diameter: That determines tire revolutions per mile/kilometer, thus speedometer error. Our original tires have an OD of just about 27".

Our series of cars uses a 5 X 115 bolt pattern, high positive offset (42 - 50 mm) and the wheel indexes on the center bore, not the bolt pattern.

Compare wheels in www.wheelcollision.com - click the little picture for enlargement - the later Devilles had a series of good looking 18" wheels and you can sometimes find them on ebay.

Reactions: Avaya

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanx ,that's a lot of good info! And I'm definitely gonna look into the 18's u speak of! Cuz I'd like to keep it original caddy rims but I thaught aftermarket was my only option!

----------

Looking at that diagram I think I would go with a positive offset! I like the big lip , it looks good with chrome .

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts

·
19,863 Posts
Wow thanx ,that's a lot of good info! And I'm definitely gonna look into the 18's u speak of! Cuz I'd like to keep it original caddy rims but I thaught aftermarket was my only option!

----------

Looking at that diagram I think I would go with a positive offset! I like the big lip , it looks good with chrome .
=============================
Looking at that diagram I think I would go with a positive offset!
I like the big lip , it looks good with chrome .

you might be misunderstanding the point of the illustrations -

you do NOT have a CHOICE which offset style you might LIKE to have -
the fitment on the car determines which TYPE of offset you MUST HAVE -
and the AMOUNT of offset -

the front wheel drive Cadillac REQUIRES a POSITIVE offset wheel -
and the AMOUNT of offset is around 43mm -

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
=============================
Looking at that diagram I think I would go with a positive offset!
I like the big lip , it looks good with chrome .

you might be misunderstanding the point of the illustrations -

you do NOT have a CHOICE which offset style you might LIKE to have -
the fitment on the car determines which TYPE of offset you MUST HAVE -
and the AMOUNT of offset -

the front wheel drive Cadillac REQUIRES a POSITIVE offset wheel -
and the AMOUNT of offset is around 43mm -
Absolutely true. ^^^^

Our wheels have very little "dish" - almost flat. Look at any Seville/Deville/Eldorado FWD vehicle. Pictures everywhere in these forums - like up there ^^^ in the "Show us your Flapmobile 4Z32rsXB12" threads.

Here's the 17" wheel off a 2003 CTS - same as the earlier STS 17s, but polished instead of chrome. Notice the lack of "dish" ....... the 17" wheel for the FWD Northstar cars takes a 235/55/17 tire with an OD of 27.2".

(1)1 & 2 after polish.jpg

·
Registered
2010 SRX LUX
137 Posts
I had 20's on my 04 DTS, they said 22's wouldn't fit, but they liers....but I got to warn you about wheel weight....it makes a ton of difference in the performance of the vehicle. I will never purchase a wheel that weighs more than the factory wheel.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
As a general rule if thumb, as far as acceleration and braking goes, 1 pound of rotating mass, is the equivalent of ~2 pounds of dead weight. So even if each rim/tire were 5 pounds more than the stock ones, it would be the equivalent of having an 80 pound passenger in the car. Pretty insignificant. ----------
SRG963 said:
they said 22's wouldn't fit, but they liers.
Wow! Blast from the past, lol :histeric:

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
The OP's question .........:devil: ............ if the original outside tire diameter was 27" (close for these cars) then you could run a 27" wheel - no tire :duck:

·
Registered
2010 SRX LUX
137 Posts
I've heard 1 pound of un-sprung is closer to 3 pounds of sprung.

Regardless, I just don't understand people that would purposely make their car perform worse....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I see wat u mean! I thaught the diagram was showing options of offset! And those are all good points! This time more than other as I'm glad u posted about this! A lot of good info! And I agree about not wanting to sacrifice performance! I used to have a 740 il E 38 before I saw the Cadillac light! And input twenties on and it lasted a month and a half before I went back to my M parallels! Worst ride ever and I'm that month and a half I broke 2 rims believe it or not on potholes! So I think I'm gonna go with 18's and keep a little bit more rubber on the road! And thanx for the eBay link I'm probably gonna go with the chrome dts rims with the color caddy symbol . They're really sharp looking!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
SRG963 said:
I've heard 1 pound of un-sprung is closer to 3 pounds of sprung. Regardless, I just don't understand people that would purposely make their car perform worse....
Unsprung weight is a term used when talking about wheel/tire/braking component/suspension component weights effect on suspension performance. Rotational mass effects the acceleration and deceleration of the wheels only. Obviously, heavier wheels/tires increase Unsprung weight too,but you're just not going to feel either of these effects driving a 4,000 pound luxury car.

----------

V.D, don't worry about weight when choosing a size, it's not going to noticeably effect performance on these cars.

Any increase in size reduces ride comfort, and for the OD that these cars use, handling and steering feel will decrease with anything over 18".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts