Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed plugs and wires last night to find # 7 and #3 very drenched in oil...7 worse than 3 but the rest looked good...old and used but good.

I am assuming this is a rear valve cover gasket (Please correct me if I am wrong) and have been told by a local know it all that you have to pull the motor on the Northstar to change them...True???? (God I hope not) :banghead2

Thanks

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
Realtor1 said:
I am assuming this is a rear valve cover gasket (Please correct me if I am wrong) and have been told by a local know it all that you have to pull the motor on the Northstar to change them...True???? (God I hope not) :banghead2

Thanks
The 94 service manual states that the rear valve cover seal (gasket) can be changes if the front engine cradle bolts are removed and the engine rotated forward/down to provide clearance at the firewall. Just watch the rad & fans.

If you can pinpoint where the leak is, you can try something else & it doesn't require unbolting anything. Thoroughly clean & degrease the mating area with brake cleaner & smear some RTV over the parting line where the cover meets the head. I would recommend a good quality silicone like Ultra Blue. I've used this trick many times with varying levels of success. So far it seems to be doing the job on the Northstar case half leak.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
It would make sense that you would have to remove the engine to do the valve cover..... Another negative of having a sideways mounted engine :( ........ You may be able to do it without removing the engine, but if you took out the engine it would be a grand time to do other stuff to it.....

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elwesso said:
It would make sense that you would have to remove the engine to do the valve cover..... Another negative of having a sideways mounted engine :( ........ You may be able to do it without removing the engine, but if you took out the engine it would be a grand time to do other stuff to it.....

Very very true, the only problem is to remove the engine I would have to pay ( and I bet dearly) someone, that is way above my level.

Now if I do go that way, you better belive I will be starting a thread asking.."when my motor is out what else should I have done" :thumbsup:

I still need Front Struts (I think), Power steering pump, New Radiator and a cure for the hesitaion. My budget is tight so I need to find a GOOD but not expensive fix for this stuff.

I think I will take Erics advice and try the sealant on the valve cover..Inexpensive and probably very effective. Thanks for the tip Eric

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If you try that (which may be ok, but i wouldnt do it that way), make sure its SUPER, EXTRA clean.... Otherwise it will be a waste of time because the RTV wont stick....

As far as your hesitation (did you post another thread about this, i cant remember), you could try using BG44k (mentioned in another thread) and GMs TOP ENGINE CLEANER..... It will really get all the crap out of there, and should improve performance....... There is another thread around here about northstar hesitation, why dont you check that out!!

Personally, I bet a good shop (be sure to become their friends) would take out the engine, and then if you had the equipment, you could take the engine somewhere and you could work on it...... There are soooooo many things you can do while it is out....... I would really like to do this with my car, but I just dont have any money!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts