Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS, DI, AWD with ~63,000 miles on it.

I recently took the car into my mechanic because after shifting into reverse I would move ~ a foot and hear a subtle knock. I would shift to drive and after
~ a foot forward I would hear the same subtle knock. There were no other problems I could observe. My mechanic put it on a lift and couldn't identify the issue,
and suggested it might be the AWD or differential but couldn't even guess and I should schedule with the dealership.

I made an appointment for Monday but took the car out this evening. I heard a loud bang from the rear. I still had engine power, no leaking fluids but the car was
clearly dead where it sat, no power from the engine was making it to the wheels.

It got towed to the closest dealership and I guess I'll know in the morning how bad it is but I am hoping someone might be able to tell me what ballpark of screwed
I'm in! I already know I'm past my power train warranty.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
You should contact Cadillac Customer Service on this repair. There have been quite a few problems just like you described. I understand that they changed the design of the output shafts in 2010. You can search here for transfer case problems and you'll find ones just like yours. This is an expensive repair that is caused by a poor design. Cadillac should step up to help you.

Good luck, Marv

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, I called the dealership and they will be able to take a look at it on Monday.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Let us know what happens.

12,778 Posts
Good morning 716Hockey,

I am very sorry to hear about this issue with your CTS and I’m glad to see that you are working with a dealership to get this resolved. We received your PM and an agent will get in touch with you shortly. If you received any updates in the meantime, please let us know.

Regards,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the dealership just called. They told me it will be $4,500. They think that the input and output shaft went, the differential apparently went and ruined the transmission, they'll need to replace the broken gear sets. No explanation as to why that would happen even when I referenced the GM notice that I found via searching here thanks to you guys. I tried to talk to them, I explained it's a second vehicle, I don't abuse it, it simply looks good driving me to hockey and to get groceries or go out for the night! I was basically told, there was nothing they could do to help at all other then quote me what it would cost to fix. $4,500 and a week of down time.

I love the car, but now I'm re-thinking my plan to buy a new CTS this summer.

I was looking to buy a new CTS this summer but...$4,500 to fix this one had me thinking that wont happen.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hockey,

The dealer can't help you, but GM should step up and at least mediate this for you as a goodwill repair. That means you should keep in contact with Cad Cust Service.
Good luck, Marv

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a PM into customer service, I'm awaiting a call. I'll update with any details.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,280 Posts
You could always trade early; the dealer might have some wiggle room (knowing that they can fix your car for their cost and re-sell) and give you a better deal by keeping you in a Cadillac (from their dealership), maintain good will, and generally help you out without hurting themselves much (if at all). Of course if you can swing a no cost fix that would even be better.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GM from here contacted the dealer. Looking at eating 50-60% of the warranty repair cost, not retail cost. Guess of $2000 to $2100 out of pocket but I authorized tear down and they will have a solid estimate and better look at cause.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
GM from here contacted the dealer. Looking at eating 50-60% of the warranty repair cost, not retail cost. Guess of $2000 to $2100 out of pocket but I authorized tear down and they will have a solid estimate and better look at cause.
Great News!!! Cadillac Customer Service on this site does a good job of assisting when they possibly can!!!

Marv

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
That is decent. You really can't complain about that kind of treatment. Cadillac came through just as the playoffs started. That's what you want from a player, right?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
If I'm reading this right the dealer agreed to pay 50-60% of the warranty cost not 50-60 % of the 4,500. I think your looking a quite a bit more than 2,000-2100
hundred. I hope for your sake I'm wrong. I don't trust dealers but I realize not all are rip off artists.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now, I'm both happy and confused. My dealer called and said that parts were more then expected, but GM agreed to cover more. They told me my bill would be in the ballpark of $1450 after tax.

I was pretty happy with that, 1450 on a 4500 bill to start! I got home and logged into this website to post an update and got a PM from the reps here saying, please provide the VIN and we will be happy to look into it for you.

I'm confused because my dealership said that GM called them, agreed to the 50-60% warranty cost. Today, I get the call that parts are more, but GM is paying more but the GM rep says, they haven't even done anything yet.

Am I off base in thinking this is strange?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
GM is BIG with many levels in each department. The dealer is probably talking to one department and you have been emailing another. Just make sure you have the repair estimate in writing. $1450 would be a very good outcome for you. Keep us up to date.

Thanks for the update and Good Luck, Marv

·
Registered
SOLD
228 Posts
This should be a recall.
GM stress test your cheap f'n parts. I'm pissed just reading this huge safety issue.
Best of luck 716Hockey; In my opinion you shouldn't have to pay anything for this repair.

Here are all the suckers on the list:

TSB 10-07-30-005A
Subject: No Forward or Reverse at Launch, Grind Noise (Replace Output Shaft and Transfer Case Input Shaft)

Models:
2007-2009 Cadillac SRX
2007-2010 Cadillac STS
2008-2010 Cadillac CTS
Equipped with All-Wheel Drive (RPO MX7) and 6L45 (RPO MYA) or 6L50 (RPO MYB) Automatic Transmission

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it back from the dealership.

This was the breakdown:

FP Number Description

24251228 Seal 4.103 Y
19256369 Shaft 4.530 Y
24225543 Seal 4.226 Y
24238913 Seal Kit 4.005 Y
24238925 Plate Kit 4.265 Y
24231525 Gasket 4.515 Y
88861950 Fluid 8.800 N
24242995 Bearing 4.176 Y
1051344 Lubricant 8.800 N
11609746 Nut 8.917 Y (4x)
24251229 Shaft 4.175 Y
88861954 Fluid 8.800 N (3x)
12378521 Sealant 8.800 N
1158658 Bolt 8.900 Y

Total was 1339.79 before tax

Tear down was approved on 04/14/2015, received the car back on 04/15/2015.

Now the only question I have is do I buy a new car or keep driving this one. Coincidentally I got a flyer with nice trade in discounts, thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
CTS4
2 Posts
Hi All,

Great thread. Same scenario just happened to me a couple days ago - but in my case the prop shaft splines sheared in the middle of an intersection! My Cadillac dealership provided me an estimate of $4K for the replacement of the input and output shafts this morning ($800 materials and 22 hours of labor). They referenced TSB 10-07-30-005A which is how I found this thread. I contacted GM customer service for financial assistance with the repair and was told that the TSB has no bearing upon their decision. They indicated that they would contact the dealership to see what, if any, assistance may be available.

Based upon the outcome of 716Hockey's experience, I am hoping for the best. Will let you know how this turns out.

2009 CTS4, DI, 69K.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts