Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Jesda said:
Cars encounter a whole lot of air at highway speeds. What if there was a way to harness that airflow to turn a small generator to power accessories or something? Perhaps it could increase highway mileage by 5mpg.

Am I crazy or does this seem feasible?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mtat/images/mini.jpg

:histeric:

i cans ee your point, i just had this image of a Fleetwood with its land yacht status, actually driving around with a siail on

·
Registered
92 Posts
hmm... when I saw your heading I tought that the "wind" you were referring to was Methane...

adds new meaning to 'buckling up'

If I understand you correctly, do not forget to consider the drag any object would create on the surface of the car; one reason cars have gotten sleeker and more aerodynamic is to gain the fuel benifits of less wind resistance.

Any energy benifit you would produce with wind driven generators would probrobly be negated by the vehical now having to overcome this added resistance.

As it is the vehicle already has a charging system that works by 'stealing' resorces from a motor that already is turning. Even that though costs fuel because it is a drag or burden in itself.

K

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
There's no such thing as free energy. A direct belt driven generator is going to be more efficent than an indirect system like this wind energy idea...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
davesdeville