Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2012 cts v
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may not be fair but our members from the Houston, TX area may have some added difficulty selling/trading their cars
after the flooding going on there. Good Luck to those folks, their cars may be the least of their worries.

C

·
0 Posts
From personal experience after Hurricane Sandy locally prices or actual transaction amounts will increase temporarily for both new and used nonflooded cars.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
So how much damage can submerging in water cause to a modern car?
Submerged in saltwater everything is ruined. Submerged in freshwater it can be salvaged and then you can spend a lot of time trying to get everything to work well enough to unload it on Craig's list.

----------

And where do these flood cars wind up for sale ?
Practically anywhere. After the big flood we had here many cars were trucked out to who knows where. Locals went all the way to the West Coast to buy cars and some came back with somebody else's old flood car. I remember one guy being really proud of a Pontiac Grand Prix he bought in Seattle until I showed him the outboard motor propeller tracks in the roof that had been Bondoed over. I had seen the same car before it had been trucked out and repaired so I referred the buyer to the original owner.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
So how much damage can submerging in water cause to a modern car?
=========================
insurance company will "total" a flooded car -

sure - you can completely disassemble the interior -
flush/clean/replace the upholstery - carpet - padding - as necessary -

but I guarantee you will have electrical problems until the car is scrapped -

----------

And where do these flood cars wind up for sale ?
=========================
those without a "salvage" or "flooded" title
will make the rounds through several auctions -
and end up on a used car corner lot -

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
Used car for sale. Very clean, detailed. Upholstery has been washed and conditioned. New tires. Low miles. Cold a/c, runs great.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
those without a "salvage" or "flooded" title
will make the rounds through several auctions -
and end up on a used car corner lot -
The ones with "salvage" or 'totaled" titles will be re-titled in various states until it is gone....then end up on a used car corner lot.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I hope I didn't do anything unethical. I sold my completetly submerged Chevy pickup without mentioning it to the buyer. But I sold it years after it was submerged and had zero issues from the submersion.

That was back before any computer. It got washed away in a river crossing and settled in a spot with just the KCs on the roll bar above the surface. I winched it out, drained fluids until water changed to dyno, pulled the spark plugs and turned it over until water stopped squirting out the holes, replaced the plugs and drove home. Then I replaced all the fluids, took the seat out and flipped it over to dry in the desert sun. No carpet since it was bought for off roading. As I said not a single problem. Got lucky.

·
Premium Member
28,963 Posts
Around here there is always someone who is the last car in the spring to cross the river on the ice bridge near Pike's Landing. These cars usually get their picture in the paper and become well known. Caveat emptor.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Around here there is always someone who is the last car in the spring to cross the river on the ice bridge near Pike's Landing. These cars usually get their picture in the paper and become well known. Caveat emptor.
What is this ice of which you speak?

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Then why do they keep building the bridge out of ice? And where do they get the ice makers for it? I mean all the ones I've seen make ice smaller than what I assume would be the optimal size to build a bridge with.

·
Premium Member
28,963 Posts
So you're saying you have free range ice up there?
It isn't free. There is a pretty good business in selling glacial ice that has jillions of tiny gas bubbles under tremendous pressure trapped in it to high end stateside saloons because it fizzes in your drink. It's cut and shipped by air by the hundreds of pounds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts