Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to make final decision about Eibach and Hotchkis sway bars for front and back of 2008 EXT lowered using Ground Force 2/2.75 front spindle/rear spring lowering kit. Looked at Addco and Helwig but both are solid bars, so have gotten down to these two brands. Anybody have comments good or bad about either. Particularly concerned about how they work with lowered suspension. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I have Hotchkis on three Escalade's, they were out before Eibach so on my first two trucks I had no choice, and while Eibach is cheaper, I was so happy with the difference the Hotchkis made on my first two trucks I put them on the new too

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
We have been very pleased with the quality and fitment of the Hotchkis Sway bars. The performance is also very noticeable. Let us know if you need any other help.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your input..I guess not too many people put on the Eibach ones. I am leaning towards the Hotchkis even though they are about $180 more expensive because of all positive comments and lack of any negatives. But few people comment on them with lowered trucks. Was Curious about the Eibach sways because they are part of their performance kit which lowers the truck about 2" (all spring). And cosmetically, I think the Red is attractive but, of course, handling while maintaining ride is the most important.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
175 Posts
I chose the Eibach sways since the bar specs on the two kits are totally identical.

I like them. They really improve the towing experience with just a slight degradation in ride quality (basically, more SUV head-toss on single-wheel bumps, as you'd expect).

BTW, the Eibach kit is bars only. All the stock end links are reused. Dunno about the Hotchkis kit.

- MArk

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Hotchkis includes new end links, that is probably the biggest price difference, the stock end links are a joke, that is why I am sure Hotchkis replaces them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mdadgar, thanks for the input on the Eibachs. I did not know they did not include the end links. Somewhere I read that just replacing the end links on the stock bars made a considerable improvement.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
I ordered my Hotchkis bars the other day based on everything I heard here and then some. I'm not particularly disappointed in the price, especially if they help me out as much as I expect them to when I'm towing, just the fact that they're on backorder everywhere...I checked Summit, Jegs, etc., if you go to order and need them ASAP, make sure they're in stock first or you could end up disappointed...

Eventually I'm going to lower my truck the right way (sorry!). Since I'm occasionally towing heavy I don't want to worry about reduced ground clearance or suspension travel, so the Kelderman Air Ride is getting my vote. Just a little pricey though, about $6K or so installed by them...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I would love to lower my trucks, but I plow snow now at the stock height, just too much snow I guess. :)

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
I would love to lower my trucks, but I plow snow now at the stock height, just too much snow I guess. :)
That's why Kelderman is the way to go. The roads here in New England are horrific for starters in ideal road conditions, never mind with snow and ice on the ground. So even if I wasn't towing I couldn't do a fixed lowering kit. The Kelderman let's you slam it, keep it at stock ride height, or raise it. Pretty bitchin' and very high quality. I knew about them from my diesel days and spoke at length with them. My main concern was towing and that's where their system really shines...

·
Registered
07 AWD Escalade, 07 AWD Escalade ESV
121 Posts
I have Hotchkis Sway Bars installed in my ESV as well my ESV lowered with eibachs pro-kit . I also have the extended air ride rods which let you drop the truck a little more . The ride is superb . I highly recommend them .

·
Registered
2016 ELR
175 Posts
Somewhere I read that just replacing the end links on the stock bars made a considerable improvement.
Err, I can think of no way that would be the case. End links are end links. The stock links use a rubber bushing instead of a heim joint, but I think that's the case with the Hotchkis end links, too.

There's just no magic there.

For the person who mentioned the Kelderman suspension, I had the Kelderman 2-bag rear suspension on my old 2500HD and it was good stuff. Plus, Kelderman gave me the best customer support I've ever had, bar none. They suggested a local installer that completely screwed the pooch on the job and Kelderman paid another shop to correct the install, no questions asked. I can not recommend them enough. Great products, great people.

- Mark

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
That's why Kelderman is the way to go. The roads here in New England are horrific for starters in ideal road conditions, never mind with snow and ice on the ground. So even if I wasn't towing I couldn't do a fixed lowering kit. The Kelderman let's you slam it, keep it at stock ride height, or raise it. Pretty bitchin' and very high quality. I knew about them from my diesel days and spoke at length with them. My main concern was towing and that's where their system really shines...
6k is just not worth it to me, just don't keep things than long, and the biggest problem is if you have a problem where I live, you are on your own. I have to go 60 miles to get itres put on in upstate NY

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
6k is just not worth it to me, just don't keep things than long, and the biggest problem is if you have a problem where I live, you are on your own. I have to go 60 miles to get tires put on in upstate NY
The longest I've ever kept a vehicle was the one that my Escalade replaced, an '04 Ford Excursion BUILT diesel, and it didn't make it 3 years. The first time I towed with it I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life, my '03 Navigator was more stable. "Wander" was an understatement. Every pass by a tractor trailer almost put me off the road. Seems Ford wanted a "soccer mom" ride for the X and put in soft leaf springs. I spent almost as much on its suspension as I'm looking at on the Kelderman, never mind the motor. Money's not an issue to me to get the ride that I need. White knuckle trailer sway is not cool with over $150K in motorcycles or a car in tow behind you, especially a couple of thousand miles from home...

I'm not sure what you mean by having a problem, and if that's a reference to the Kelderman, that's why (1) I'm not installing it and (2) I'm having it done at the their factory in Iowa. There is no better air suspension system available, period. They've been doing it longer than anyone else and their experience in big rigs and motorhomes make it a no-brainer for me. There's usually a trade off between cosmetics and function and this is the way around it for someone that wants the lowered look and maintain the ability to maximize the truck's (towing) utility...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The longest I've ever kept a vehicle was the one that my Escalade replaced, an '04 Ford Excursion BUILT diesel, and it didn't make it 3 years. The first time I towed with it I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life, my '03 Navigator was more stable. "Wander" was an understatement. Every pass by a tractor trailer almost put me off the road. Seems Ford wanted a "soccer mom" ride for the X and put in soft leaf springs. I spent almost as much on its suspension as I'm looking at on the Kelderman, never mind the motor. Money's not an issue to me to get the ride that I need. White knuckle trailer sway is not cool with over $150K in motorcycles or a car in tow behind you, especially a couple of thousand miles from home...

I'm not sure what you mean by having a problem, and if that's a reference to the Kelderman, that's why (1) I'm not installing it and (2) I'm having it done at the their factory in Iowa. There is no better air suspension system available, period. They've been doing it longer than anyone else and their experience in big rigs and motorhomes make it a no-brainer for me. There's usually a trade off between cosmetics and function and this is the way around it for someone that wants the lowered look and maintain the ability to maximize the truck's (towing) utility...
I mean if anything goes wrong I have to fix it or have it flatbedded several hundred miles away because I live where humans don't ;)

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
I mean if anything goes wrong I have to fix it or have it flatbedded several hundred miles away because I live where humans don't ;)
Now I'm jealous...'cause I hate people...and I mean ALL of 'em! I guess I'm the antithesis of a "people person"...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Now I'm jealous...'cause I hate people...and I mean ALL of 'em! I guess I'm the antithesis of a "people person"...
I do too, that is why I am up here half the year. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts