Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hotchkis lists swaybars for 2003-2006 CTS (30/21mm) and 2003-2007 CTS-V (32/25mm) -- question is, will either sways work for the 2007 regular CTS? Or is something different about this year?

http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?Make=29&Model=286&SubmitForm=Search

Also, is 25mm too much rear bar? Sure seems like it. I think the front bar at 32mm should be fine, which is the same as a 4th Gen Camaro SS...

Any recommendations for a different brand or size combo? On a 4th Gen Camaro SS, the handling sweet-spot is 35/22mm...

TIA!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Either sways will fit either of the CTS or CTS-V.
Doesn't matter the year.

As for the mm dimensions:
Base CTS front 23
Base CTS rear 16

Sport CTS front 23
Sport CTS rear 16

Putting 25mm on the rear would make the car more prone to oversteer if you are keeping the stock front bar.

Putting too large of a mm on the front will make it understeer much more.

[edit]
stock, the CTS seems to handle much better then a 4th gen Camaro. Depending on what you want more of (understeer/oversteer) is how i'd make my decision.

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Wow, are the Base and Sport sways really the same?

If they sways fit, I wonder why they don't list the '07 CTS? Oddball year or they stopped testing with the previous model year?

I would assume the 32mm front and 21mm rear would be a good combo for controlling body roll and handling -- any other inputs?

Anyone here running Hotchkis sways or other aftermarket ones? If so, what sizes are you running and how do you like the changes?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I'm running Eibach sways both front and rear. 28f, 22r. It reduces understeer a bit by making the rears a bit larger, but not larger then the fronts. Its still more understeer prone, but less then stock. If you are going for a completely neutral feel, you can go with just Eibach rears, which would put you at 23mm/22mm, and much more in the neutral range.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ers-front-rear-base-models-2.html#post2274216

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Thanks.

Stock CTS front sways really are wimpy!

For comparison, 4th Gen Camaro sways:
RS 3.8L stock is 28mm front, 15mm rear
Z/28 stock is 30mm front, 18mm rear
SS stock is 32mm front, 19mm rear
Stranoparts 35mm front, 22mm rear (said to be the best combo for handling/autocross)

FYI, theres's a nice CTS sway install guide here:
http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/22792280instructions1889947178file.pdf

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
CadillacFaq also has a pretty decent guide.

Really wimpy how? Have they failed on you or anything? Because the MM difference compared to a 4th gen Camaro V8? The Sway bars on a V8 Camaro shouldn't be compared to sways on CTS. They are on completely different handling platforms. They are completely different cars, and 1 setup for 1 car isn't going to be exactly the same on the other.

Getting a set simply because they are the largest in diameter doesn't make much sense. What exactly are you trying to adjust?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
32 / 21 you stand to add more understeer compared to stock. lol

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well of course they are different platforms, but the principles are the same -- we want to prevent a lot of body roll in lane changes, cornering, canyon carving, etc. Is there anyone here who would proclaim that the stock sways do a great job at controlling body roll?

They are similar weights, with the CTS being heftier:
'07 CTS 3.6L ~3568 lb; 23/16 sways stock
'02 Camaro 3.8L (it's a V6!) ~3306 lb; 28/15 sways stock

CadillacFaq also has a pretty decent guide.

Really wimpy how? Have they failed on you or anything? Because the MM difference compared to a 4th gen Camaro V8? The Sway bars on a V8 Camaro shouldn't be compared to sways on CTS. They are on completely different handling platforms. They are completely different cars, and 1 setup for 1 car isn't going to be exactly the same on the other.

Getting a set simply because they are the largest in diameter doesn't make much sense. What exactly are you trying to adjust?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I understand but what I'm saying is that bolting the largest mm swaybar isn't how you'd go about it unless you want a bit more of that understeer as well. But whatever floats your boat.

I didn't get much Body roll in lane changes with stock sways. How hard are you switching lanes? LOL

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well obviously you want the sways to be matched -- the trick is finding out a good match for a CTS. I would hue to the autocross folks who are likely to have found good answers to this question as they're pushing the limits the most.

In the Camaro example, I can tell you that the switch between 28/15 to 32/19 is dramatic, as is the switch from 32/19 to 35/22 bars. The improvements feel good in these examples.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
thats because 28/15 to 32/19 slightly decreases understeer, as does 32/19 to 35/22. Check the CTS-V forum for more info if you are looking to autocross the CTS. I just don't really understand what you are looking for, and I don't think you know either. LOL

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not looking to autocross just better handling on the road, but get similar benefits as in the Camaro example above. Sounds like you want to question to be worded "what is the next best bigger swaybar combo that decreases understeer, yet keeps body-roll minimized in corners"?

thats because 28/15 to 32/19 slightly decreases understeer, as does 32/19 to 35/22. Check the CTS-V forum for more info if you are looking to autocross the CTS. I just don't really understand what you are looking for, and I don't think you know either. LOL

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Your Camaro examples both minimize understeer, btw. But going 35mm in the front wouldn't do much to help on the CTS. LOL

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I linked to it. Post 4, page 2.
I'm sure the OP of that thread will agree you can't just go with the largest mm swaybar and consider it making your handling better. There has to be some sort of measuring and comparison between both to adjust understeer and oversteer. Keeping the mm together as close as possible would make the car more neutral in driving feel.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Also, some bars are hollow...some are adjustable....some are solid... A 35mm hollow bar might not be that much more stiff then a 30mm solid bar.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,568 Posts
Well of course they are different platforms, but the principles are the same ...
Yes, the principles are the same, but comparing sway bar sizes for two different platforms doesn't make any sense, regardless of how many times you do it in this thread. The fact that the Camaro has a stick axle instead of an IRS, a significantly poorer weight distribution, and a compromised front suspension geometry means the two just aren't in the same ballpark.

They are similar weights, with the CTS being heftier:
'07 CTS 3.6L ~3568 lb; 23/16 sways stock
'02 Camaro 3.8L (it's a V6!) ~3306 lb; 28/15 sways stock
There are lots of factors that go into sway bar sizing, and weight isn't real high on the list.

I think 23mm front / 25mm rear would make for one helluva tail-happy car. That's a >500% increase in the stiffness of the rear bar! The Eibach kit (28/22) seems like a pretty good improvement, or maybe the CTS-V front with the Eibach or Addco rear (so 26.5mm front / 22mm or 7/8" rear). Depending on your school of thought, going with the big Hotchkis bars (1.25" / 1") while retaining stock CTS springs and struts might be a backwards way of doing things. But, some folks prefer big bars and soft springs, so it's up to you.

·
Registered
NONE
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW, I was never implying a 23/25 combo, I was talking about the Hotckis V combo.

My thought is more like a Hotchkis 31.75mm front & Hotchkis 20.64mm rear, but even in that case, is that too much rear bar?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts