Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should've gone under the V when I got it back yesterday but I didn't have time. The mechanic who installed the sways said he couldn't physically get the Z06 endlinks to work with the sway bar. He said the car wasn't low enough and something about the sway bar hitting the FG2 if it were low enough. Again, I wish I had done this myself so I could figure this out on my own.

Anyway, most have said it was a PITA to do and that you have to finagle it to work. Any horror stories ones can share and what did you do to get past it and get it done? Right now, I've got almost zero time before leaving for vacation in the great city of Kalamazoo, MI on Saturday morning. And I'll need to get this done before track days at Grattan on the 18th and 21st and Putnam Park on the 23rd.

Worst case scenario, any good shops in that area?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
K'zoo, huh? Enjoy ...

"PITA" and "finagle" are very appropriate terms.

I figured I needed to move the linkage around a bit so I set the car down a bit to cause the tires and suspension to compress, then lifted it up, then back down, and somehow (with some serious force) it finally popped in. Wish I could explain exactly what I did so it could be replicated, but it wasn't the straightforward insert-here-and-tighten-bolt-type effort.

Maybe others here can describe their experience in a way that'll be more helpful.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any chance that I CAN'T get it to work? If I spend a couple hours in the driveway tonight, will I get myself into a scenario where I don't get them in and I can't turn back?

I'm leaving for K-zoo early Saturday and will need to spend Friday night packing and getting to bed early.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAMMIT!

Now I'm getting pissed. Shop #2 said they also can't do it because the linkage will hit the shock. And they didn't want to drill in the control arm. Now, I can't track the car until the links are in. I don't have a garage available so I need some advice.

Bueller? Bueller?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good grief! WW leaves and this forum has gone to poop.

The Z06 links aren't needed if the car isn't lowered, right? If so, I need guys with stock Vs measured height. Top of the wheel well to the ground at each corner...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Good grief! WW leaves and this forum has gone to poop.

The Z06 links aren't needed if the car isn't lowered, right? If so, I need guys with stock Vs measured height. Top of the wheel well to the ground at each corner...
Stock V is 27 1/2 inch front and 28 inch rear, but I have 255/45 tires, which may require a correction that I assume you can calculate.

·
13,986 Posts
... The Z06 links aren't needed if the car isn't lowered, right? ...
Correct.

I put the sways on before the GC kit, and it worked like a charm. And, I believe that you only need to do any drilling when you install the Z06 endlinks ... 15/32" drill bit where it connects to the lower control arm.

Don't understand the situation there. :confused:

(Sorry didn't respond ... stuff goin' on here.)

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Don't know who WW is, BJ, but drill the hole in the sway and center the Hots bar with the collars. That's how a ricedog would do it. Take care to center the bar properly. Do not drill the control arms - that's 'bout as dangerous as cutting springs er somethin :hide:

IS3NV

·
13,986 Posts
Don't know who WW is, BJ, but drill the hole in the sway and center the Hots bar with the collars. That's how a ricedog would do it. Take care to center the bar properly. Do not drill the control arms - that's 'bout as dangerous as cutting springs er somethin :hide:

IS3NV
Big Jim! It's he ... Bill ... aka Wildwhl! He's been reincarnated!

All is well in the world again!

·
Registered
'06 CTSV
451 Posts
I am hiding under the chair as well. :hide:

No flames or disrespect in what follows.

I installed the full swaybar, endlink, bushing, coilover etc. package on a fellow forum member’s V this spring and came away less than impressed. While it all fit and worked without any interference I have to wonder why?

You have FG2, track tires and I assume a semi aggressive alignment. That combination in my opinion is about the perfect compromise for track days and daily driving.
I believe anyone can shave tenths from their lap times more effectively with practice than spending a bunch of money and headaches on aftermarket suspension stuff.

I say go to the track and spend your money on tires, gas, Gatorade and practice, practice, practice.

I know I am preaching to some of the choir, sorry.
Again, no disrespect only my two cents.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am hiding under the chair as well. :hide:

No flames or disrespect in what follows.

I installed the full swaybar, endlink, bushing, coilover etc. package on a fellow forum member’s V this spring and came away less than impressed. While it all fit and worked without any interference I have to wonder why?

You have FG2, track tires and I assume a semi aggressive alignment. That combination in my opinion is about the perfect compromise for track days and daily driving.
I believe anyone can shave tenths from their lap times more effectively with practice than spending a bunch of money and headaches on aftermarket suspension stuff.

I say go to the track and spend your money on tires, gas, Gatorade and practice, practice, practice.

I know I am preaching to some of the choir, sorry.
Again, no disrespect only my two cents.
No, I agree. If I could do my mod list on the SHO over, I would drop the Eibachs and Konis. Stick with wider, stickier tires but also add sways. A 20mm F and 26mm R bar made a huge difference.

I love the FG2s and they match like a dream with the 500/550 coils in the GC kit. But yeah, it's better to figure out how to drive first. And some mods aren't worth the trouble...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts