Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of sway bar from Tbyrne during one of the group buy's not too long ago and they an older design bar.

Mine came very close to the FG2's so I was a little worried but I found out from someone selling them on-line there is a fix for this. Hotchkis has a fix for this and it is a set of collars that bolt to the bar and plates to raise the bar to keep the bar from moving side to side.

I am a little upset that I got an older set of bar's and that they did not come with the collars (had to ask Hotchkis to supply). Not too impressed with the way Hotchkis does business. "wait until the customer bitches then do something about it..."

Good product, bad business ethic.

If you got the older set then I would recommend contacting them and they should supply the kit to you.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
Sorry, Rob, this is old news, but still worth a shout to everybody.

Hotchkis has, for the most part, done right by all of us. Having said that, sorry you got an "old" style set ... must be some still floating around out there looking for a home ... not really surprised. The only problem is that those who purchase those "old" bars may not always realize that Hotchkis will send you those collars to prevent sideways movement for nothing. Guess it's not like baby food tainted with rat poison where they track down every last jar to protect the consumer (and their own butts). :rolleyes:

BTW, do you like 'em?

·
Registered
Cadillac
739 Posts
anyone have a pic of these collars? I am having the same problem with mine...

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
^^ just call em.....and em, old style bars...compared too? what? did they start shipping them with collars pre-installed or something?.....btw the collars have worked fine for me....and ya, very old news.

zeus, just do a search on hotchkiss collars, you'll find tons of photos.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Hotchkis sent me the collars after I called them. I haven't put them on since I'd have to take the front sway off to attach them.

I have FG2's and haven't seen any rubbing or scraping. Maybe I put them on this winter when the car is stored in the garage.

·
13,987 Posts
... I haven't put them on since I'd have to take the front sway off to attach them. ...
Nope. They're two-piece clamps so they can be slapped on without removal of the bar. :thumbsup:

A lot of guys put them on the inside of the bushings. A few of us (lazy :thepan:) guys put them on the outside close to the where the bar curves. I'm pretty sure they'll fit better on the inside of the bushings. It's "on my list" of things in need of attention on my car. Actually, wouldn't it be boring if there wasn't a "list" of stuff to do? :cool:

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I have no problems that Hotchkis had to redesign the clamps and add collars. The V is a unique platform and they likely designed the bars with narrower FE4s in mind...

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe old but I didn't know about it.There migth be a few others that didn't know either so this was "mostly" meant to help.

Difference between the old style and the new style is the collars are welded to the bar like my factory 07 was.

The washers supplied (one was missing too) do not work with the reinforced brackets. Fixed with quick trip to the Parts store, found some with a smaller OD that fit within the gussets.

The Collar kit was supposed to be with the bar but oops, they forgot it.

The thing that bothered me (and this is a peeve of mine) Hotchkis said Tybrne shipped me an old set and this is why I had the problems. I contacted Tbyrne and they said they did not have any and ordered them after I placed my order. Who is telling me the truth??

The Bottom line is Hotchkis makes a great product and they do backup what they sell. My only suggestion is when you buy the bars make sure they are complete when you get them and if not then send them a freindly email and they will work with you to get it resolved.

As with any company, they have some problems to work out. Bottom line is you will not go wrong buying these sway bars from them.

I did vent a little but

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no problems that Hotchkis had to redesign the clamps and add collars. The V is a unique platform and they likely designed the bars with narrower FE4s in mind...
I have no problems with that either. The problem I had is they were aware of this, they have supplied these to people that already purchased them, Why weren't they in the box when I bought the bars?

The rest is all done well.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
I got my Hots bars late last fall (XMas Present), and had them installed in Feb (about 18k miles since then). They came with the new gussetted brakcets, but did not come with collars. I have never had any issues, and did not order up any collars for mine. I also have FG2, and have seen no rubbing.

I think the key is:

1) Do a bit of spirited driving, putting some higher G side loads on the car every so often to keep them centered.
2) Grease up the zergs everytime you change the oil, to keep them 'floating' and thus self centering.

Are people really having a bunch of issues with these hitting their shocks?

-Chris

·
13,987 Posts
... I think the key is:

1) Do a bit of spirited driving, putting some higher G side loads on the car every so often to keep them centered.
2) Grease up the zergs everytime you change the oil, to keep them 'floating' and thus self centering. ...
:yeah:

No issues here. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts