Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the front sway bar from Hotchkis. The car is still in the air because I'm concerned about clearance once I put the tire back on and lower the car.

Does anyone who has this combo of FG2's and Hotchkis know about the clearance between the shock and the sway bar? I moved the bar to get about equal clearance on both sides but it's less than 1/4 inch.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I have FG2s and just installed Hotchkis sway bars. The clearance with the wheels off is between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch. This clearance is at its MINIMUM with the car off the ground and the wheels removed (suspension at full drop). The clearance will increase when the suspension is compressed, i.e. when you put it back together.

My sway bars arrived without the collar kit that is necessary to maintain this clearance by preventing the bar from shifting from side to side. If you do not have these collars you will need to call or e-mail Hotchkis and have them sent out. You can run the car without them for awhile as long as you do not do any hard cornering.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darkman - thanks for the info.
The stock bars have stops on them. I should have guess that something was missing.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Darkman - thanks for the info.
The stock bars have stops on them. I should have guess that something was missing.
Yeah, the collar kit (collars & some spacers to put under the brackets) dupicates the stock bar collars. These can be added to the installion without taking the wheels off again.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see you're from Spring - I used to live in Atascocita east of Humble (Umble to Texans who won't say humble)

I'll call tomorrow about the collars - or get small muffler clamps if I have to

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
Cornering (both left and right) will tend to naturally center the sway bar.

The problem seems to arise when you DON'T corner or do so very lightly; that's when the bar can migrate to one side or the other and contact the shock housing. By all means, get the collars and install them, but you can drive the car without them until then. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I see you're from Spring - I used to live in Atascocita east of Humble (Umble to Texans who won't say humble)

I'll call tomorrow about the collars - or get small muffler clamps if I have to
Those same Texans that won't say humble think I live in Sprang. Muffler clamps will work short term, but I would get the collars. Hotchkis is not always real quick about sending them out but they willing when asked.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Cornering (both left and right) will tend to naturally center the sway bar.

The problem seems to arise when you DON'T corner or do so very lightly; that's when the bar can migrate to one side or the other and contact the shock housing. By all means, get the collars and install them, but you can drive the car without them until then. :thumbsup:
FG2 here. Hotchkiss on for 6k miles. No colars. Zero problems. Spiritied cornering everyday keeps that particular clunkity-clunk away. 49 = spot on.

I probabaly nead to splat a bit of marine grease in the fittings. So much to do, so little time.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
FG2 here. Hotchkiss on for 6k miles. No colars. Zero problems. Spiritied cornering everyday keeps that particular clunkity-clunk away. 49 = spot on.

I probabaly nead to splat a bit of marine grease in the fittings. So much to do, so little time.

-Chris
That's good to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
Yeah, the collar kit (collars & some spacers to put under the brackets) dupicates the stock bar collars. These can be added to the installion without taking the wheels off again.
You must have some tiny arms then :p

To me, it was a bigger PITA installing the collars and spacers then it was to just slap the bars in there.....installing the bars took me ~20-30 (f/r) just installing the collars took me a good 45-60.....those little tiny screws piss me off.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Hotchkis about 15 minutes ago and the collars (no charge) are on their way.

I tried out the new bars and they seem to be okay. Took a couple hard 90's then went to the intersection at the end of our street and puled some hard 180's in both directions. No evidence of rubbing or interference.

The rear will have to wait - too damned hot and humid for me working outside. My garage is full of kitchen remodeling crap. I would pay to have HGTV go off the air. Or at least so my wife couldn't watch.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Only thing worse than HGTV, is DicoveryHealth when you wife is pregnant. Every other show is either "Miscarriage Hour", or "Stories of 72+ Hour Labor".

-Chris

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
You must have some tiny arms then :p

To me, it was a bigger PITA installing the collars and spacers then it was to just slap the bars in there.....installing the bars took me ~20-30 (f/r) just installing the collars took me a good 45-60.....those little tiny screws piss me off.
Your right, the wheels must come off, but the sway can stay put. I did not have all that much trouble getting the spacers and collars in place.

I am not sure about the elapsed time though because I installed the sway bar backwards first to establish once and for all that it will not work that way. Scary thing is, I had all but one fastener in place before I was convinced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts