Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was just a regular day at the office. Then I came home to find this nice white box on my doorstep. My day immediately turned better!

I drug the box in the garage and feverishly put the car on jack stands before even opening the box. When I did open it I found everything packed extremely well. I could have probably shipped this thing around the world twice and had it arrive in perfect condition.

The bars themselves are very stealthy. No Hotchkis logo on the rear bar and only one on the front. Even that logo is easily removed if you want to be covert. The color black is identical in sheen to the OEM swaybars. In fact the only thing that would give these away is the cadmium gold coating on the swaybar bushings/zerk fittings and endlink spacers. I'm planning on ordering a spare set of these and have them nitrated black to further tame the look down. In these days of dealership unfriendliness when it comes to modifications I consider this is small price to pay.

The bars installed fairly smoothly. Obviously the rear bar is a piece of cake. The front bar is a bit of a chore due to the already tight packaging in the engine compartment. Luckily some pretty detailed installation instructions where included.

After everything was installed I took it out and noticed an immediate squeak from the polyurethane bushings. However by the time I got back from my "test drive" the sound was gone and figured it just needed to work itself in.

The handling is much improved. The car is much flatter in turns. I’m actually surprised. I thought the stock suspension was already at the tires limits when it came to sticking to the ground. Turns out that’s not the case and there are still improvements to make.

The ride is unchanged in a straight line. I do thing it’s slightly stiffer on ripples or bumps in the road while cornering at mild speeds.

I will report at greater length once I get a few miles on them. Right now these are just my initial impressions.

Can't complain. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I only with Hotchkis had this kit out sooner. If they made a matching set of lowering springs I would be even more thrilled!

The big test is at the next trackday. I will let everyone know how it goes. I ordered these bars direct from Hotchkis. Although they typically prefer you go through a vendor I knew I would get them quicker. They are about 50 miles away from me and that obviously contributed to the fast ship time. Probably one of the first to get them. Of course everyone else who ordered them will likely get them in the coming week.

Great job Hotchkis!

Bar pics off the car:
http://www.techvelocity.com/gtp/misc/bars.jpg
http://www.techvelocity.com/gtp/misc/bushings.jpg

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Good job, Aaron. The sways are my first planned mod for the Spring. Please let us know how they work out...and check those endlinks for bending.
Be good,
ace

·
Registered
CTS-V
268 Posts
Had Hotchkis bars on my Grand National (longer ago than I care to remember). They made a drastic improvement on that car. I can only imagine the improvement on the V's.

Marty

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
I'm already sold on getting them because of your post. I'd just like to hear from you again when you put some more miles on them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
1,729 Posts
Where did you buy the bars? How long did the install take?
:hmm:

GTP said:
Today was just a regular day at the office. Then I came home to find this nice white box on my doorstep. My day immediately turned better!

I drug the box in the garage and feverishly put the car on jack stands before even opening the box. When I did open it I found everything packed extremely well. I could have probably shipped this thing around the world twice and had it arrive in perfect condition.

The bars themselves are very stealthy. No Hotchkis logo on the rear bar and only one on the front. Even that logo is easily removed if you want to be covert. The color black is identical in sheen to the OEM swaybars. In fact the only thing that would give these away is the cadmium gold coating on the swaybar bushings/zerk fittings and endlink spacers. I'm planning on ordering a spare set of these and have them nitrated black to further tame the look down. In these days of dealership unfriendliness when it comes to modifications I consider this is small price to pay.

The bars installed fairly smoothly. Obviously the rear bar is a piece of cake. The front bar is a bit of a chore due to the already tight packaging in the engine compartment. Luckily some pretty detailed installation instructions where included.

After everything was installed I took it out and noticed an immediate squeak from the polyurethane bushings. However by the time I got back from my "test drive" the sound was gone and figured it just needed to work itself in.

The handling is much improved. The car is much flatter in turns. I’m actually surprised. I thought the stock suspension was already at the tires limits when it came to sticking to the ground. Turns out that’s not the case and there are still improvements to make.

The ride is unchanged in a straight line. I do thing it’s slightly stiffer on ripples or bumps in the road while cornering at mild speeds.

I will report at greater length once I get a few miles on them. Right now these are just my initial impressions.

Can't complain. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I only with Hotchkis had this kit out sooner. If they made a matching set of lowering springs I would be even more thrilled!

The big test is at the next trackday. I will let everyone know how it goes. I ordered these bars direct from Hotchkis. Although they typically prefer you go through a vendor I knew I would get them quicker. They are about 50 miles away from me and that obviously contributed to the fast ship time. Probably one of the first to get them. Of course everyone else who ordered them will likely get them in the coming week.

Great job Hotchkis!

Bar pics off the car:
http://www.techvelocity.com/gtp/misc/bars.jpg
http://www.techvelocity.com/gtp/misc/bushings.jpg

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
GTP: When is your next track day?

Laguna Seca has events Nov 30 and Dec 1 which are still open... if you're interested in driving up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I plan to buy those sway bars soon. Noticed your in Mission Viejo- so am I. I go to track events also. When you planning to go again? What organization?

Jeff

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JWhyld said:
Thanks for the write up. I plan to buy those sway bars soon. Noticed your in Mission Viejo- so am I. I go to track events also. When you planning to go again? What organization?

Jeff
No idea at the moment. I've always had a love/hate relationship with this car and for the past month its maintained the hate status.

The car was at the dealership for 3 weeks while they replaced forks and synchros in the transmission. They also replaced the alternator because it was throwing DTC's in the PCM. Then when I went to pick the vehicle up it would'nt go over 30MPH and I had to leave it at the dealer again. Eventually they replaced the PCM and its been "ok". With so many problems i'm leary about continueing to add modifications to it. To date the car has had over $15000.00 worth of warranty work done to it. Thats in 13 months of ownership. I wonder how long GM will keep this up before approaching me about a buy back situation.

I've commited mentally to keep the car until Oct 06. However I doubt I can hold off that long. The CTS-V is still a good car in my book, but its slipped from "great" status now that I have owned one.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Dreamin said:
GTP: When is your next track day?

Laguna Seca has events Nov 30 and Dec 1 which are still open... if you're interested in driving up.
Which org? I'm looking at NASA Jan 20/21.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
JWhyld said:

Jeff
TCRA Willowsprings, Dec 10/11th. It would be nice not to be the only V there. Last time I was there a CTS ran.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts