Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Katshot said:
We're a small but proud group! ;)

All right! I see there is my kind of people here! Nice Brougham BTW. Like the corvette intake covers. Had a couple questions that you may know as I have not been able to figure it out yet and I am an old school and northstar guy more than the 96. I have a 96, car has the tow pak, 3:23 and a posi. I have been debating to put 3:73's in it that I have laying around. If it was a caprice/roadmaster/impala, I know the hypertech PPIII would do the job of elimitation that top speed limiter and recalibrating the spedo readings. The PPIII does not work on this car as I have figured out a while back. I have not messed with this 96 much, but do you know how to get rid of the top speed limiter and recal the spedo for 3:73's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toomanytoyz said:
Now that's a sweet ride, man!!! :D :cool:

I'm quite envious of your collection! :)

Welcome aboard! :D
Thanks... Nice 96... Looks familiar! I dont have the T56 though... I am getting some great ideas on the Impala wheels on my 96 from you guys. I debated to do that a while back but did not like the looks and thought the brougham lookd rather dull without the no handeling white walls. You have to let me in on these custom centercaps as that makes the difference.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ultra Slow said:
Thanks... Nice 96... Looks familiar! I dont have the T56 though... I am getting some great ideas on the Impala wheels on my 96 from you guys. I debated to do that a while back but did not like the looks and thought the brougham lookd rather dull without the no handeling white walls. You have to let me in on these custom centercaps as that makes the difference.
Thanks. ;)

Oh, and the caps are off an '02 DeVille. You can check my site for other stuff I've done too. I actually did export taillights and I have a set of the export headlights on order... :)

It's fun to be different. :cool:

Why not? :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow,

Saw your site. Your car looks great. I think I am going to run out and get a set of SS wheels. Are the 02 deville caps direct replacments, or did you mod them? Do you run 255/50 17's? I know that size as that is what I run on my STS. Also, I am sure you guys have the answer on these LT1 cads... How the heck do you get rid of the top speed limiter?

toomanytoyz said:
Thanks. ;)

Oh, and the caps are off an '02 DeVille. You can check my site for other stuff I've done too. I actually did export taillights and I have a set of the export headlights on order... :)

It's fun to be different. :cool:

Why not? :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ultra_Slow
That is one nice machine. Love the look and color too. Welcome aboard

·
Registered
433 Posts
The caps snap right into place. No modifications neccessary. There are a couple different caps for the DeVille though, so you need to make sure you get the right one.

And yes, I run 255-50-17. I run the Bridgestone Potenza RE730's and love 'em. They have since been superceded by the RE750's though, and I haven't tried those.

As far as the programming... I went with an OBD1 swap pcm from www.pcmforless.com. It was quite a hurdle, but I think we got it working reliably now. If you go with the swap, you can program yourself using Tunercat or if you stay OBD2 you could use LT1 Edit , which I think Katshot uses, but it's pricey. Tunercatis supposedly coming out with an OBD2 program soon. I'm waiting for that one!

Also, check out www.impalassforum.com. We have a Fleetwood section there and there are a bunch of knowledgeble people over there. The FW's share the platform with the Impala/Caprice/Roadmaster so the info over there can also be very useful to you! :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Ultra Slow said:
All right! I see there is my kind of people here! Nice Brougham BTW. Like the corvette intake covers. Had a couple questions that you may know as I have not been able to figure it out yet and I am an old school and northstar guy more than the 96. I have a 96, car has the tow pak, 3:23 and a posi. I have been debating to put 3:73's in it that I have laying around. If it was a caprice/roadmaster/impala, I know the hypertech PPIII would do the job of elimitation that top speed limiter and recalibrating the spedo readings. The PPIII does not work on this car as I have figured out a while back. I have not messed with this 96 much, but do you know how to get rid of the top speed limiter and recal the spedo for 3:73's.
You're right. The Hypertech stuff does not work on a Cadillac. The only reason is because Hypertech won't add Cadillac VINs to their software. As Bill said, I use LT1-Edit. I didn't think it was expensive when I got it (a couple years ago), but maybe Bill's right. I DO like how powerful the application is. It allows you to do things that no other application I'm aware of does, and that translates into better "customizability". I have 3.73 gears in my car and feel they are the best mix of top-end and 0-60 performance. Bill mentioned that he intended to install 4.56 gears in his Fleetwood! :shocked2: I'm guessing he intends to turn the car into a track-only vehicle at that point. Be that as it may, there are a lot of possibilities with these cars. You have an awsome collection of cars and I'm sure you should be able to transform your "whale body" ;) Fleetwood into a hot rod. If there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have a question off topic but yeah well.
I want to make my eldo RWD and a manual is it worth the trouble.
about how much money am i looking at.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
No one can tell you if it's worth the trouble. It's up to you. I know a guy that made a '84 Eldo into a monster truck by dropping the Eldo body onto a Chevy Blazer chassis (of course his dad ownes a body shop). It is very cool looking.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Katshot said:
No one can tell you if it's worth the trouble. It's up to you. I know a guy that made a '84 Eldo into a monster truck by dropping the Eldo body onto a Chevy Blazer chassis (of course his dad ownes a body shop). It is very cool looking.
Do you know how much time would it take to do. What parts are involved. Sorry i have no clue on where to start. But i am very mechanically inclined. I love tackleing new projects and this is right up my ally if i can get the right knowledge. and money (which im afraid of)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Katshot said:
Bill mentioned that he intended to install 4.56 gears in his Fleetwood! :shocked2: I'm guessing he intends to turn the car into a track-only vehicle at that point
Well, I haven't done the math for the 4.56's yet, but 4.10's with the T56 in 6th gear, the highway rpms are identical to the 4L60E with the 3.08's (2.93's). So that means the 4.56's shouldn't be much worse than the stockers on the highway with my tranny. But with a stock 4spd, however, it'd be a nightmare! :shocked: Right now with my 3.73's at 80mph, I'm turning just over 1800 rpms. I need more gear. The drivetrain offers groans of rebellion whenever the car is under 2000 rpms and under load. It HATES the 3.73's. And it won't get off the line for crap.

I can't wait for my 4.56's. :burn: :D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
That is strange. Just for fun, have you ever looked to see what the final drive ratio is for the 6-speed Corvette and F-body cars? I get what you mean about the 4.56's being "Okay" in 6th since you have tall 6th gear but I would think your 1st gear is gonna be like a granny gear on a truck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Katshot said:
That is strange. Just for fun, have you ever looked to see what the final drive ratio is for the 6-speed Corvette and F-body cars? I get what you mean about the 4.56's being "Okay" in 6th since you have tall 6th gear but I would think your 1st gear is gonna be like a granny gear on a truck.
Well, IIRC, the Camaros got a 3.42 with a 4l60 and a 3.23 with a T56, but I may have that backwards.

But you gotta keep in mind, my car weighs over 1000 pounds more than an F-body.

And I don't really think it'd be a granny gear, per se. It'd be a short trip through 1st, but not unbelievably steep. Right now I think I can get 35 or so MPH out of 1st. I never really look at the speedo when I'm driving aggressively though. Usually looking at the track/road and tach. I would assume I'd lose, 5, maybe 10mph most in 1st gear under heavy acceleration. Besides, in normal driving, I'm in usually 4th by 30-35 anyways. ;) 1st just gets you moving. ;)

It sure will be nice to not do the 6th - 5th - 6th - 5th - 6th shuffle round 60 mph. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the welcomes and info guys! I did not think there were that many cadillac hot rodders out there. Glad to see the LT1 Brougham has a good following wiht some very nice mods on many cars. I appreciate the inof on the OBDII LT1- Edit. That looks like the route I need to go on my Brougham to eliminate the top speed limiter, that gets hit quite often by the way. I have been kicking the SS wheels around for about a year and keep saying "nah" but after looking at you guys cars with the wheels and differnt caps on them, I am on my way!

Does anyone know if there is a better tire to run on the car than the 255 50 17 as far as sidewall height? I do not want to lower this car and I know the SS tire will leave fenderwell gap. I would like to say with a 28" tall tire like as the 235 70 15 that these things unfortunatly use. Any info on a good size to tun that looks correct on stock height car would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I run a 255/55-17. It rides nice, handles well, and doesn't look too low profile. Obviously there's very little difference between a 255/50-17 and mine but sometimes little things make the difference.
Same thing with my center caps. They are only center caps but the hours of work on them paid off I think. I never really liked the Impala SS wheels but the big contrasting color Cadillac centers made a huge difference and now I like the wheels. Details, details. ;)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Now that's a sweet ride, man!!! :D :cool:

What brand and style are those rims? They would be perfect for "Texas winter" driving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
6 Participants
Ultra Slow