Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Sedan Deville
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bad electrical problem with the lac, if it sits over night the battery dies, so I started takin the battery out every night, it used to give me problems starting up unless I had the battery cables just right, it wouldnt even turn over - the lights came on then got dim when I turned the key and the positive battery post would get HOT and smelling like sulfur, then I replaced the battery terminals and it ran good for a couple weeks, now its back to doin the same thing again and no matter how I turn the battery cables it WONT start up, its just gets real hot and stankin , now my baby is posted up with no way to move...had my brother in law and his friend come over and add a ground wire to the negative cable --- this did not resolve the issue, and the positive doesnt seem to be grounded against anything, im not a wiz with cars - they are pretty good but couldnt come up with any reason it would be doing this, what would be yalls next plan of action? I just wish I had more knowledge on these type of things, has anybody been through this kind of dilemma?

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
Entire battery gets hot for 2 reasons:

1. when it is being overcharged (voltage too high).
2. when it is being rapidly discharged (by a large load)

If only the positive terminal get shot then there might be a problem with it. Corrosion causes resistance which will make it heat up. Or maybe the battery has failed internally and the positive terminal has corroded inside.

So clean the battery terminals really well and/or try another battery.

Peteski

·
Registered
1970 Sedan Deville
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx alot man Im gonna try a different battery - and a bigger one

·
Registered
1970 Sedan Deville
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I shouldve put in - this is the 3rd brand new battery and the lac has get the other 2 over night

K

·
0 Posts
This problem sounds like it must be prior to a fuse. If I was to try this without the wiring diagram I would try disconnecting the alternator and voltage regulator to see if they are producing a short. You could also pull all of the fuses to see if it has any effect. By placing a 12v bulb in-between the negative cable and battery you can see if the system is trying to pull power.

Have the voltage regulator checked first, then the alternetor.

Try some things and post back.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Faulty starter or a bad connection between battery and starter.

Don

·
Registered
1988 Cadillac Deville Executive
28 Posts
Hi

I know this might be a late reply on this. When I owned a ford tempo years ago.. it would cause the battery to overboil.. it was determined to be the voltage regulator which was causing too much to go to the battery from what I understood. This might also be something that you might check out.

Otherwise.. hope its already fixed. ;)

·
Registered
1970 Sedan Deville
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FINALLY RESOLVED AS OF YESTERDAY
yay yay yay yay yay, they had to replace pretty much ALL the wires in the car and now it works, those old wires were the problem, they told me it was a short in the radio and the seat... really the radio because I broke the seat after the problem started :D, yay yay yay yay yay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts