Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, My 1998 cadillac STS, is blowing cold air around 59 degrees on the passanger side, and hot air on the driver side around 80 degrees (also let me tell you it is around 98 degrees where i live).

I search this forum and found out about the sticky actuator problem. Well that was not it, I took the driver side one off and watch it move also i turned the knob by hand and the air on the driver side got really hot, like it kicked on the heater, so i know the actuatior is working.

Also a bit of info my ac did work perfect till my motor blew up around 4 months ago, the shop that replaced it does not charge AC so i have been driving it with out it till today. I had freeon put back in the system and notice it did one hot and one cold.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Before you do anything else, run your codes, if you have any current B codes then they will tell you if the actuators are working properly, even though you have seen the drivers side move, what sometimes happens is, the cam will rotate and then go past the stop, this will allow the hot air again. If you are clean with codes, then you probably do not have enough Refrigerant in the system.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,978 Posts
Temperature differential from side to side is an symptom of low refrigerant (not low enough to set a DTC usually) in a duel zone system.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Before you do anything else, run your codes, if you have any current B codes then they will tell you if the actuators are working properly, even though you have seen the drivers side move, what sometimes happens is, the cam will rotate and then go past the stop, this will allow the hot air again. If you are clean with codes, then you probably do not have enough Refrigerant in the system.

how will i know if i have enought refrigerant in my system? i just had them vacuum all the air out of the line and put more r134a in my system. and it was blowing hot hir and cold air at the shop. also how can i check the codes? can i just take it to AutoZone and they check it how they check the check eng light? also when the car had no freeon, it never said anything about it being low or anything.

Temperature differential from side to side is an symptom of low refrigerant (not low enough to set a DTC usually) in a duel zone system.
what is DTC?

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
DTC=Diagnostic Trouble Code. Press the off button and the warmer button^ on the center console and write down the codes that show up on the screen(DIC). Post the codes here.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
DTC=Diagnostic Trouble Code. Press the off button and the warmer button^ on the center console and write down the codes that show up on the screen(DIC). Post the codes here.
I need to know more than that, do I hold down the on/off button? also i have no warmer button, i have a knob that goes from 60 to 90? also some of the trouble codes if it has any may be, from me messing with everything last night cause i unplug the 3 actuator. how can i reset the codes.

EDIT (Hold the on and off button and the Info button up for 3 sec?)

ok it Has a bunch of codes, some for the Amp, Abs, Rim. What ones do i need to check? also does it matter if the codes say History or Current

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
The history codes are codes were the fault was corrected and current codes means the problem still exists. Use the fan control button to go through the codes. Up=Yes & Down=No. When you get to PCM? press UP=Yes and the press Down=No until you come to Clear Codes? Press UP and the codes will be cleared. To go to the next promp press Off once and go through the same seqence. Remember if you clear the codes it will clear all codes current and history. Write down the current codes and post back.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ABS C1253, RIM B1009, RSS C1738, RSS C1785. I just want to say thanks for all the help, everone.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ABS, C1253 - Right Front Normal Force Malfunction. RSS, C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND. RSS, C1785 - ICCS2 DL Right Output Short Circuit to GN. RIM, B0109 - Side impact module-Left Rear deployment loop resistance is less than 1.3 ohms.

So does any of those codes have anything to do with the A/C? Also I took the car to a diffent shop, and paid 80bucks again for them to take out all the freon and put more back it and it is still doing the samething.

·
Super Moderator
86,978 Posts
No, none of those DTC's have anything to do with A/C. If it was recharged and is still doing it, it has to be one of the air mix doors hanging open. Try running the temp all the way to 90, then back down. Sometimes that will exercise it and free it up.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, none of those DTC's have anything to do with A/C. If it was recharged and is still doing it, it has to be one of the air mix doors hanging open. Try running the temp all the way to 90, then back down. Sometimes that will exercise it and free it up.
where is the air mix door? if it is what connects to the actuators, i am sure it is working fine. cause when i turn it by hand and try to close it all the way it still blows hot air, also when i turn it the outher way it blows air from the heater really really hot air . It almost feels like the driver side vents, are blowing outside air in on me.

·
Super Moderator
86,978 Posts
I think you may be talking about the air distribution door. There are two air mix door actuators. One for the drivers side and one for the passengers side. I forget which is which, but one is accessible after removing the glove box and the other from beneath after removing the lower insulator panel. Have someone run the temp to 90 and then down to 60 while watching the actuators to be sure they are moving to the limits. When you figure out which is driver side, you can disconnect the linkage and then see if you can manually close the door more.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you may be talking about the air distribution door. There are two air mix door actuators. One for the drivers side and one for the passengers side. I forget which is which, but one is accessible after removing the glove box and the other from beneath after removing the lower insulator panel. Have someone run the temp to 90 and then down to 60 while watching the actuators to be sure they are moving to the limits. When you figure out which is driver side, you can disconnect the linkage and then see if you can manually close the door more.
yes, I know I have done that. The one behind the glove box, is for the passanger. The next one is above the driver feet hiden by this panel the cover up under the steering wheel. I have messed with both of them. they both work, also I have taken the one under the driver feet off and turnd the knob by my hand and it blows out heat one way and blows out warm air the outher way. i dont belive my car is blowing out heat it feel like out side air with a fan blowing it lol. just a little bit colder then the air out side. cause at night it is fine and the car can get cold with just one side working. but in the day i have to put the windows down. :rant2:

·
Super Moderator
86,978 Posts
I still think you are missing it. The drivers side actuator is right below the passengers. Not on the opposite side. It is only visible from below the passenger side dash (passenger foot area).

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still think you are missing it. The drivers side actuator is right below the passengers. Not on the opposite side. It is only visible from below the passenger side dash (passenger foot area).

ummmm, OK when I get my car back tonight, I will look for it. Thanks for helping me understand what you are talking about. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I just looked, and nothing like that is on the passenger side. when you take off that cover above the passenger feet you can see where the glove box was. so i am sure in my STS the passenger one is on the side of the glove box. and the driver one is on the driver side. also just to make sure i took off the one on the passenger side and turned the knob and it does what the driver side does when i turn it one way i get HEAT, and when i turn it the outher way i get cold air. anyone have any more ideal as to why it is doing this?

·
Super Moderator
86,978 Posts
Hmm, guess they moved it. Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase. I still think it is related though. Try disconnecting the linkage on the drivers side and manually closing the door. See if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, guess they moved it. Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase. I still think it is related though. Try disconnecting the linkage on the drivers side and manually closing the door. See if that solves the problem.
yep that is what i tryed, guess it monday it is time for the cadillac dealer. :crybaby: thanks for all the help tho :)

·
Super Moderator
86,978 Posts
Let us know what it turns out to be. Sure sounds like you covered all the bases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts