1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2005 CTS-V
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have Corsa right now.

For about $2K what can I do?

I need to be much faster then wife's new SRT-8 Charger.

·
Registered
Cadillac 06' CTS-V
140 Posts
If you can self install, Cam, headers, rods & springs. If you have someone do it and enjoy the tweaking they can do, a little over double that, which gets you a dyno run as well

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
rods? you mean pushrods?

why not get a mild cam and some decent double wound springs... you don't need heads until you have a bigger side cam or something that demands that type of flowrate a la turbo....

at least thats what i've found... i've had a couple cars with HUGE great flowing heads and no where near enough cam to use it...

but look at a couple different sites and check out the cam options they have,

for 2k you're not going to find HUGE jumps in HP. now if it were a turbo car that would be a different story

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
the best mod for the money is the UUC short shifter that we happen to sell....
i can attest to that... i even scored a free snapon screwdriver from the install:p

jk

can you tell ray/rick i forgot his name already that i'll swing by with his screwdriver next week ... i just don't have time this week

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Headers+ HF cats ~ $1,000

UUC Flywheel $425 (+$250-300 for installation)

Stealth tune (a must) $400

*John Wayne voice* "That'll fix her wagon......" :D

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
I have to give the classic 'It Depends' Answer.

Absolute best bang for that buck is Nitrous.

If you plan to do other mods in the futrure, then DEFINATELY go with headers and tune. You should see 40-ish from that. Dependant upon which headers you choose, and the skill of the tuner. Also, depending on which options you go with (cats or no, coated or not, new wires/plugs), it will cost a bit less than 2k or a bit more.

I vote for headers, as this starts to set you up nice for other future mods.

As I look back, Headers should have been my first mod.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Headers+ HF cats ~ $1,000

UUC Flywheel $425 (+$250-300 for installation)

Stealth tune (a must) $400

*John Wayne voice* "That'll fix her wagon......" :D
I usually sport my 'I Love Tony' Button, but where can you get headers + high flow cats for 1k?

Kooks are about 1500 shipped. Add in install + tune you are just at or over 2k.

EDIT: I just found my cost when I did mine in an old post:

Headers can get expensive:

$1029: Coated Headers
$ 399: Cats
$ 119: Granatelli Wires + Kool Sox
$ 55: TR55IX plugs
$ 30: SS304 O2 Bungs + plug
$ 400: Install
$ 400: Tune

It adds up quick. $ 2,432

Again though, keep in mind, I went overkill, you don't need to do all that I did.

-Chris

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I usually sport my 'I Love Tony' Button, but where can you get headers + high flow cats for 1k?

Kooks are about 1500 shipped. Add in install + tune you are just at or over 2k.
Of course you do- I'm a lovable guy!

TPiS long tubes and cats are the least expensive I've found- $1,175 before shipping HERE. I paid the same price for my Kooks when TByrne was running a special, but they've gone up since then.

I was a little off I suppose, but even with shipping you could get the TPiS setup for $1,250. I guess it depends on your definition of "around". :D

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I have to give the classic 'It Depends' Answer.

Absolute best bang for that buck is Nitrous.

If you plan to do other mods in the futrure, then DEFINATELY go with headers and tune. You should see 40-ish from that. Dependant upon which headers you choose, and the skill of the tuner. Also, depending on which options you go with (cats or no, coated or not, new wires/plugs), it will cost a bit less than 2k or a bit more.

I vote for headers, as this starts to set you up nice for other future mods.

As I look back, Headers should have been my first mod.

-Chris
Absolutely agree. NOTHING beats the bang-for-your-buck option of nitrous, period. It's cheap and effective. You can add 100-150 fairly easily and cheaper than $2k. If you do this, it's not even a race. But what happens when you run out of NOS?? :)

Headers would be good for a NA motor, so keep that in mind. Keep in mind this mod often calls for increased monitoring of the headers and the corresponding gaskets. (Note this is not to say that headers wouldn't be good for a SC motor, but SC motors are a different animal. Headers, while helpful, take a back seat to boost. One of the most powerful Vettes at A&A Corvette was running the STOCK EXHAUST and he was pulling ~800+rwhp due, primarily, a lot of boost)

A DYNO TUNE is the most important thing to have done. Note that if you are considering any other options (say, headers), do a tune AFTER you do these modifications. Also, the ludicrous CAGS can be eliminated with this as well.

A CAI and cat-back exhaust aren't going to do much, so if your primary goal is to defeat your wife in her SRT-8, which won't be easy mind you, I'd pass on these mods.

The UUC/B&M shifters are really cool and one of the best mods to do, but I don't see how they are going to help THAT much for his goal. :)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Absolutely agree. NOTHING beats the bang-for-your-buck option of nitrous, period. It's cheap and effective. You can add 100-150 fairly easily and cheaper than $2k. If you do this, it's not even a race. But what happens when you run out of NOS?? :)

Headers would be good for a NA motor, so keep that in mind. Keep in mind this mod often calls for increased monitoring of the headers and the corresponding gaskets. (Note this is not to say that headers wouldn't be good for a SC motor, but SC motors are a different animal. Headers, while helpful, take a back seat to boost. One of the most powerful Vettes at A&A Corvette was running the STOCK EXHAUST and he was pulling ~800+rwhp due, primarily, a lot of boost)

A DYNO TUNE is the most important thing to have done. Note that if you are considering any other options (say, headers), do a tune AFTER you do these modifications. Also, the ludicrous CAGS can be eliminated with this as well.

A CAI and cat-back exhaust aren't going to do much, so if your primary goal is to defeat your wife in her SRT-8, which won't be easy mind you, I'd pass on these mods.

The UUC/B&M shifters are really cool and one of the best mods to do, but I don't see how they are going to help THAT much for his goal. :)
+1 for agreeing with a genius :thumbsup:

Seriously though, good points about N/A vs. FI. Headers are great, but if you go FI, they aren't as big of a bang.

-Chris

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Spray, cam and a tune, may be a little over $2K, but not over $3K.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
+1 for agreeing with a genius :thumbsup:

Seriously though, good points about N/A vs. FI. Headers are great, but if you go FI, they aren't as big of a bang.

-Chris
I agreed with a genius? Where? :)

I think that headers will almost always be a good thing, even for a SC motor. I point-blank inquired Andy and he scoffed at the idea that headers wouldn't do a SC motor any good. He represented to me that he's never seen a car add headers and not add HP.

However, when you are dealing with a SC motor, everything takes a back-seat to boost. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts