Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story ahead, so be prepared to do a bit of reading.

I bought my 2010 CTS-V back in December and was completely in love with it. When I bought the car I also bought the GM Major Guard warranty which was explained to me as "bumper to bumper". Boy was that wrong, but more on that later.

About 2 weeks ago my wife and I decided to take a day trip to San Francisco. We had a great trip up, and not too bad on the way back. We're about 10 miles from home and decide to run through the drive thru to grab a quick bite to eat. I pull into the drive thru and smell coolant, I just figure that it's from the dodge in front of me. As he pulls away I see steam, and it's coming from my CTS-V. Not good! I check the gauges and everything is normal, including coolant temp. So I back out of the drive thru, get it in a spot and shut it down. I pop the hood and there's coolant EVERYWHERE!

I figure "no biggie, I've got warranty". I call GM Roadside assistance, it takes 22 minutes (yes, I timed it) to get someone on the line. At 7:28 pm, when they answered, I explain to the gal what is happening and she tells me that I'll need to speak to Cadillac Roadside as they will have more services available to me. Wow, now I feel special. So, 19 minutes later at 7:48 (yes, I timed it) I get a gentleman on the phone and explain the issue with my car. He tells me that a tow truck will be dispatched and it will be there in 90 minutes to tow my vehicle to the dealer. I ask about getting home and I'm told "No problem sir, we have secured transportation for you to your home from the dealer through the towing company." Okay, great. I give my location and I'm told "sir, I already have that information" rather rudely. So I say thank you and end the call.

So being as it is Saturday night, and the service department won't be open until monday. I call roadside back and ask about having the car towed to my home, that solves 2 problems, 1) I'm at home and 2) my car is safe and sound at my house. I'm told "I'm sorry sir, but the vehicle must be towed to a cadillac service center, if it is towed anywhere else, you must pay for the tow and cannot be reimbursed" Well that sucks, but whatever.

As we're waiting, we watch a couple of gentlemen "exchanging goods" about 25 feet from where we're parked. What a lovely area to be broke down in.

The tow truck scheduled to come at 9:15 doesn't show. At 9:25 it doesn't show. Now I'm a little miffed and call back and ask where the hell the tow truck is. "I don't know sir, but I can check on that." About 5 minutes passes and she's back on the line "sir, I've contacted the tow company and their dispatcher says the never got the call, but personally I think he's lying and just didn't want to take the tow" Nice company for cadillac to be dealing with. She says she can dispatch another tow truck and it will be about an hour. It's already nearly 10 pm. I explain to her that we're in a not so great area with drug dealings going on around us. (we watched a second one happen across the parking lot) I'm advised to call the police to babysit me if I'm concerned about my safety. Grand idea. Before I let her off the line I ask about the ride home from the now closed dealership. "Yes sir, that is all taken care of".

I get a call about 35 minutes later and it's the tow truck driver, he asks where I am because cadillac told him we were about a mile up the road at a grocery store. He shows up and loads up the car and asks where it's going, I told him it was going to the dealer and he advises me not to take it there as the dealer is closed and it will be sitting for 2 nights until monday morning. I tell him I basically have no choice. He asks how we're getting home, I tell him we're supposed to get a ride from him or from someone at the company. He apparently thinks I'm kidding, and I tell him that cadillac roadside told me that they set everything up with his company. He explains that he can't drive me nearly 20 miles to my house and they don't have a shuttle vehicle. Now I am absolutely livid. I call cadillac roadside back and now I get a lady with an attitude, "sir you should have secured your own ride home, it is not our responsibility to get you home!" That was about the time that I lost it. "Lady how the hell can I 'secure a ride home' when the damn tow truck doesn't show up, and what should have taken an hour has turned into will over 3 hours? Should I have paid a cab to come out and wait at $25 an hour? Oh I know, let me bother my family at nearly 11 at night to come wait in a bad neighborhood. OR, I guess I'm just an idiot for listening to the operators from roadside assistance who told me that my damn ride home was taken care of, this is absolutely ridiculous!" She gets her supervisor who parrots exactly what the operator just said. So I ask him the same thing I asked her. I tell him how their lousy roadside assistance left me in a bad area for 3 hours and is forcing me to leave my car at a closed down dealer, where I am now currently trespassing as I no permission to be there at 11:30 PM!" He explains that I should have called the cops to wait with me if I was afraid of the area, and perhaps I could offer the tow truck driver some money to drop me off at my home, perhaps he would do it for $50. I again yelled about how ridiculous this whole thing was, and it was by far the worst vehicle service I have ever experienced. He went on about wanting to talk to the tow truck driver, and I just hung up. I'd had enough.

I had to call my sister to come pick us up from the cadillac dealer at nearly midnight! I left the key in the drop box and explained what happened with the car and that it was undrivable. Monday morning I got a call, and was told they would pressure test it. It turned out to be a radiator hose, and guess what isn't covered under this so-called "bumper to bumper" warranty...you got it, radiator hoses. So it cost me $402 to replace a hose that I could have bought for about $100 online if I would have just used to the towing service from my insurance.

I understand things can happen with a 5 year old car. But when you pay cadillac prices you expect cadillac service. You don't expect to get jerked around and treated like you don't matter, which is exactly how I was treated by EVERY operator that I spoke with that night. Not to mention I'm afraid to take this car on any road trips because if something happens to it, it won't be covered under warranty and I'll be on my own as I was this night.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear GM Roadside let you down so badly. Haven't heard many stories as bad as yours. I have had AAA for many years and the few times I've needed help they always came through.
Still, don't understand what the lousy roadside service has to do with your car.
Turned out it was just a busted hose and the local dealership fixed that. Cars get flats, busted hoses, dead batteries, etc... Just part of the ownership experience.
Don't let crappy tow service be a reason to get rid of your V.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Loosen the cap on the surge tank. Wait for the thing to cool some. Use a little duct tape to slow the leakage from the hose. Get a couple of bottles of water at the drive through window to top off the cooling system and for spares on the way home. Leave the coolant cap loose and drive home at a moderate speed. A little self help saves you hundreds of dollars and about fifty points on your blood pressure .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts