Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Cadillac DeVille Concours
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am trying to keep my ride on the road and give it exercise occasionally. 1999 Concours, in nearly mint condition. Dad was original owner and I've had it since 2009. In Texas where they require horns to pass inspection. I'm trying to keep the car in pristine condition and am not interesting in installing a separate/remote horn switch.

I kept having dead batteries and apparently it was due to the horns (I never heard them but the car was stored remotely for a time) being energized. Horns burnt out. Plugged in replacement and immediately blow (steady, not rhythmically as if it was security/alarm). Swapped relay (hot!) with neighboring relay and still same issue where horn blows continuously. Relay gets hot so I have had to unplug relay or disconnect battery when parked.

I removed steering wheel and found the plastic tube on the horn cam cancel (GM # 26059701 SPRING KIT STEERING) was broken so that the spring connection wasn't able to be inserted and kept in place (push in and 1/4 turn for tit/tab to engage in slot). So I removed the clock spring and replaced the horn cancel cam (spring kit) thinking I was good to go.

Negative.

The horn continues to blow.

I have read every single horn thread in this community forum, scoured the interwebs: google, duck duck go, etc. in an effort to find remedy. What I have gleaned is that perhaps the horn contact (switches?) under the air bag may be defective or broken or misaligned. I did trace the red and black (spring contact and steering wheel ground) to what appears to be connections to a tape-style electrical ribbon coming out from under the air bag. Everything looks in order. I do not see the horn contacts themselves; I do not see "pins" that may be misaligned as per one of the forum posters.

I am at the point that I probably need to replace the air bag in order to get the horn contacts as I do not see how the air bag can be removed from the steering wheel center pad without drilling out numerous rivets and of course the potential of discharging the air bag let alone re-riveting.

My searching of the internet does not allow me to find a replacement air bag, an air bag rebuilder, etc. I cannot find OEM part numbers on the GM parts websites, there is no part numbers available as it seems they removed them once an item is discontinued.

How does one keep a car on the road concerning air bags? One, if in a collision or if an accidental deployment, or two, age of the airbag?

I'm stumped and frustrated. HELP!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,726 Posts
Well, I am trying to keep my ride on the road and give it exercise occasionally. 1999 Concours, in nearly mint condition. Dad was original owner and I've had it since 2009. In Texas where they require horns to pass inspection. I'm trying to keep the car in pristine condition and am not interesting in installing a separate/remote horn switch.

I kept having dead batteries and apparently it was due to the horns (I never heard them but the car was stored remotely for a time) being energized. Horns burnt out. Plugged in replacement and immediately blow (steady, not rhythmically as if it was security/alarm). Swapped relay (hot!) with neighboring relay and still same issue where horn blows continuously. Relay gets hot so I have had to unplug relay or disconnect battery when parked.

I removed steering wheel and found the plastic tube on the horn cam cancel (GM # 26059701 SPRING KIT STEERING) was broken so that the spring connection wasn't able to be inserted and kept in place (push in and 1/4 turn for tit/tab to engage in slot). So I removed the clock spring and replaced the horn cancel cam (spring kit) thinking I was good to go.

Negative.

The horn continues to blow.

I have read every single horn thread in this community forum, scoured the interwebs: google, duck duck go, etc. in an effort to find remedy. What I have gleaned is that perhaps the horn contact (switches?) under the air bag may be defective or broken or misaligned. I did trace the red and black (spring contact and steering wheel ground) to what appears to be connections to a tape-style electrical ribbon coming out from under the air bag. Everything looks in order. I do not see the horn contacts themselves; I do not see "pins" that may be misaligned as per one of the forum posters.

I am at the point that I probably need to replace the air bag in order to get the horn contacts as I do not see how the air bag can be removed from the steering wheel center pad without drilling out numerous rivets and of course the potential of discharging the air bag let alone re-riveting.

My searching of the internet does not allow me to find a replacement air bag, an air bag rebuilder, etc. I cannot find OEM part numbers on the GM parts websites, there is no part numbers available as it seems they removed them once an item is discontinued.

How does one keep a car on the road concerning air bags? One, if in a collision or if an accidental deployment, or two, age of the airbag?

I'm stumped and frustrated. HELP!
=========================
My searching of the internet does not allow me to find a replacement air bag, an air bag rebuilder, etc.
don't know HOW or WHERE you were searching -
but I found this is about 11 seconds -
you don't mention the COLOR - but here is a shale one for $40 - with free shipping -

I cannot find OEM part numbers on the GM parts websites, there is no part numbers available
as it seems they removed them once an item is discontinued.

again - don't know HOW or WHERE you were searching -
this one took about 90 seconds to find - a complete parts blow-up - including GM part numbers -

·
Registered
99 Cadillac DeVille Concours
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
=========================
My searching of the internet does not allow me to find a replacement air bag, an air bag rebuilder, etc.
don't know HOW or WHERE you were searching -
but I found this is about 11 seconds -
you don't mention the COLOR - but here is a shale one for $40 - with free shipping -

I cannot find OEM part numbers on the GM parts websites, there is no part numbers available
as it seems they removed them once an item is discontinued.

again - don't know HOW or WHERE you were searching -
this one took about 90 seconds to find - a complete parts blow-up - including GM part numbers -
Well, thank you for your response but I wasn't interested in a used air bag that may be having the same issue and what surely isn't in the condition mine is in; visually mint. Was looking for an outfit to repair or rebuild or better yet somebody that figured out how tp repair and bless me with the knowledge. I saw that bag on eBay previously...I may get it but damn. Just don't want to potentially inherit somebody else's problem.

As far as your other response regarding finding it at GMPARTSONLINE, the website link you used says "wholesale" and perhaps that is the difference. I've spent days online scouring and found only the steering wheel, the horn/airbag pad (without numbers and stating discontinued, it was item #4 in multiple Cadillac websites) and the two wires from the horn pad to the steering column. So thanks for the website; this will give me more ammunition to continue searching.

I'm astonished as to how there doesn't seem to be an airbag rebuilder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts