Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just baught one of those train horn kits from www.hornblasters.com and put it on my '07 EXT. I got the Conductors Special with a 5 gallon tank and a 400c compressor. THIS THINGIS THE REAL DEAL. When I first heard it I was even surprised at how loud it is. The best is when you surprise someone walking down the street and they jump!!!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Hit the horn when you see a dog taking a crap alongside the highway. He will jump about 10 feet in the air. (I love dogs, and this is the only fun I get in life.)

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
76 Posts
funny that you post this, I was just online looking at these kits, awesome setup. But out in Japan the japanese police would probably make me take it off on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I use mine only as a horn, which is to say sparingly. I'm not an angry driver honking at everything and everybody that moves. And I don't play pranks on people like these hornblaster videos you see online. I think you could get away with having one of these as long as you don't get carried away and blow it all the time. Having said that, they're probably not legal for on road use anywhere so buyer beware.

I actually consider these horns as somewhat of a safety feature. Try honking at people with a factory horn while watching them veer into your lane on the interstate while they're talking on their cell phone and listening to the radio. They won't hear it! I've also had 2 people driving head on towards me in my lanes the past couple of years that would've hit me if I didn't have these horns. They make people pay attention.

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
217 Posts
I stopped once and asked a local police officer about mind and let him hear it. He said its perfectly fine as long as I didn't excessively use it. I have the Hornblasters kit as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Loud horn for $35? Care to share some details?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2009002/p-2009002/N-111+10201+600002553/c-10101

There's a link to buy online. My local O'Reiley Autoparts store carries them on their shelves for $25. They also have a more "diesel truck tone" set but they're much longer then these. The kit comes with basic instructions, 2 horns, relay, compressor, and pneumatic tubing. You'll need to pick up an inline fuse, wire, electrical connectors, and electrical tape/heat shrink tubing to make things look neat. I also picked up a few straight steel brackets from The Home Depot or Lowes to mount the horns and compressor. You will also need some sheet metal screws to mount the stuff.

I happen to have all the screws, hardware, and electrical connectors handy already, so it saved me time and a few $$$.

Here's a closer look at my horns mounted (on my Nissan Titan). I had the grill off yesterday to install some KC lights. You can see the "erector set" mounting hardware I used:

You should always "soft mount" them and try re-installing the grill to check for clearance. I got them all buttoned up neatly and tried to install the grill only to find the grill wouldn't go on. I had to move them once to make room for the grill. The set I had on my Escalade were mounted on the bracket that holds the transmission cooler. Just be careful when drilling around the front end. I always use a center punch and take my time so I don't slip and impale the trans cooler or condenser.

If you don't like the bright red color you could always take some primer and a flat black rattle can to them so they blend in behind the grill.

·
Registered
Cadillac
215 Posts
I've seen that before and wondered how good they are. I know they won't compare to a $500 kit but are you generally happy with the results? I sick of dealing with retards on the road and want to wake them up. Thanks for the info though.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
I've seen that before and wondered how good they are. I know they won't compare to a $500 kit but are you generally happy with the results? I sick of dealing with retards on the road and want to wake them up. Thanks for the info though.
I had them on my Escalade for 4 years. I put a set on my Honda for 8 months. I have a new set on my Titan, and no issues with any of them. I was pleasantly surprised for a $25 set of cheapo horns. Fiamm manufactures OEM horns for several companies. These air horns aren't top of the line, but they hold up well and they're definitely loud.

Mount them outside the engine bay for maximum sound, and in a way that they won't collect water or trash in the trumpets and you'll be golden. :thumbsup:

:worship::worship::worship:

you >>:thepan:<<Rolex

I subscribed to that thread so I could see some video. Did I miss the video thread too? :D

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV
216 Posts
Haha I keep watching that video over and over. Rolex you captured it perfectly. Serene landscape, probably some nice couples strolling down the sidewalk with their dogs.....BOOM. I can confess now that if I got this kit I would not use it merely as a horn, it would be more of a toy for me. Look out citizens of Colorado Springs!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts