Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of quirky things like the horn will not shut off until you pull the fuse, vibrates at 50mph and 15mph cause of flat spots in the tires, speedometer cable inop but the power train is tip top only 40k miles . The odometer is counting fine! She just sat in a garage for far too long! Now she mine!

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,476 Posts
Nice big ride. If that vintage uses the bi-metal contact foils, the separator foam pad rots and collapses. I replaced mine on an '80 Riv after getting roused from sleep once at 2am with a phonecall and 'really' loud answering message, "TURN OFF YOUR DAMN HORN!!!" A brand new dealer replacement started doing exactly the same thing less than a year later. There might be aftermarket or refurbishers, or you MIGHT have just a burnt closed relay if lucky.

Reactions: FackDaddy

·
Registered
460 Posts
I recently read that there should be a piece of foam rivetted to a surface inside the steering wheel horn button area which helps prevent unintended contact. That foam can deteriorate and under certain conditions surfaces can touch which would normally only touch when you depress the horn. Likely one of the surfaces warps/distorts due to thermal expansion. The information I read said that the issue was resolved by removing the rivets, clearing out the old foam, and replacing with new foam/rivets. I've seen a lot of posts on the horn issue but that was the first time I've read a good explanation of what went wrong so I thought I would pass it along.

The other source was from a different forum else I would post a link to give credit to the source. They never posted photos so if you decide to take yours apart and take photos it would likely help others in the future. Many discussions like this result in a recommending replacing the steering wheel with one from a different year car. Since so many seem to go bad it seems like it would add a personal pride factor if you are able to fix your original.

Scott

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,236 Posts
FackDaddy, that's a very handsome car. Because as 2K pointed out, it's a man. After all, Eldorado, not Eldorada.

If no one has said so already I recommend you get the Cadillac-made shop manual, the Factory Service Manual. For your gremlins big and small. I don't know much about the manuals in the 70s, but generally there are two, the Service Manual and Fisher Body Manual. Appears for a 1978 you're supposed to use the 1977 version and see a 1978 supplement for anything changed for 78... which is confusing. Maybe someone else on here knows details.

But if I'm right, you'd want to start with this, the 77 version, which has at least some electrical/vacuum diagrams. Chilton manuals etc. pale in comparison.

Two here on eBay for $10-15:

If you need new whitewalls, I've heard good things about the Cooper Trendsetters. If they fit.

Good luck,
Different Scott

·
Registered
Something German S550, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
728 Posts
Eldorados aren’t girl cars. That car there, is a Man.
I will agree Eldorados are a mans car. But they still are ladies.(all cars to me are girls).

If you want you're car to be a man. You on your own.

When they piss you off we call them b123h.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
1,365 Posts
I will agree Eldorados are a mans car. But they still are ladies.(all cars to me are girls).

If you want you're car to be a man. You on your own.

When they piss you off we call them b123h.
I consider every Cadillac I’ve owned to be a man. Sort of like a loyal, dependable, strong dog, always there when I need him and able to get me out of a tough situation if I ever need it to.. And whether it’s the quickness or the power, or the resiliency to not let me down, I need my car to have balls.

How’s a car gonna have balls if it’s a girl?

·
Registered
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
30 Posts
I bought this CD off eBay then I can print whatever sections I need.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Multimedia

·
Registered
Something German S550, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
728 Posts
I consider every Cadillac I’ve owned to be a man. Sort of like a loyal, dependable, strong dog, always there when I need him and able to get me out of a tough situation if I ever need it to.. And whether it’s the quickness or the power, or the resiliency to not let me down, I need my car to have balls.

How’s a car gonna have balls if it’s a girl?
She don't need balls(bravery). She needs power

I'm just busting your balls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s 2021 women have balls now. 😂
I always referred to mine as femme like a ship’s captain 👨‍✈️! Thanks a ton for all this info . I’d love to have a copy of that disc to rip onto my home computer and send to my phone 📲 when working on my Eldo!

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,236 Posts
Lots of people have and like the CDs or the subscriptions to online manuals like this: Do it Yourself Automotive Repair Information | ALLDATA DIY
But your phone will be too small to be useable. For example the circuit diagram in the paper version appears to be a three page foldout. Good luck zooming in on that on a phone.
Paper version is heavier, but you never need to plug it in and you can't really break it.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,476 Posts
Plus it's kinda interesting finding the pages with the most greasy fingerprints. And checking if they're from the same prior owner(s).

Reactions: FackDaddy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently purchased a 79 Coupe Deville with 44,000 miles. Wonderful condition but had some age related problems that needed repair. I obtained a 1979 Cadillac Service Information manual from Honest John's Caddy Corner which helped me resolve the issues.Honest John literally has tons of new, rebuilt and used parts for vintage Cadillacs and has knowledge of everything Cadillac. Try him, he is called Honest John for a reason.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahaaaaas! There’s plenty of area exposed! Time to cover up! What materials do you recommend? Electrical tape sure, but what of the foam on the copper plate?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice work and great photos! I think I might start looking on McMaster-Carr for something in a suitable thickness. Does it look like adhesive was use or is it just held by those semi tubular rivets I see at the corners? Maybe McMaster-Carr has something with adhesive backing and preferably something capable of pretty hot temps for windows up baking in the sun just in case. Is the darker foam/gasket looking area part of the lighter foam but simply discolored where it's darker? It looks like it was likely a separate overlaid foam gasket which really deteriorated.

Scott

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It appears the tan foam with the hex Pattern is the one for contact to the main plate for horn activation. The copper piece is essentially hot and makes contact through the horn pad and voila! HONK! so should I remove that hex foam after copying the pattern and use your suggestion?
hey that might work since the old hex pattern foam is squished nearly flat everywhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts