Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for your spec/tire sizing that you're running on stock wheels and preferably lowered...

Also - any cheap pricing leads would help as well...

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Chef

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
I've used the R6s in 245/40/18 before and have been very satisified. Obviously, this size is smaller (about 3" in circumference) than stock 245/45/18. But it grips well and I had no problems with the shorter sidewalls. I've also run Hoosier's Rolex series tires in the same size.

Problem is, nobody is discounting them. They're $274 from Hoosier and about the same from everybody else (including Tire Rack). Unfortunately, no tires in our sizes in the closeout section of Hoosier.

I also decided I wanted a tire I can drive to the track if I want, so I've just gotten a set of Toyo R888s. I'm trying them for the first time at Watkins Glen on Labor Day weekend. No savings, but more convenient and hopefully they'll last longer than the Hoosiers. Hoosiers are normally good for 4-6 track days, depending on the track and how hard you push them.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. My thoughts too on the dis-continued. I have narrowed it down to a few until I can get two sets of new rims.

Michelin Sport Cups
Toyo R888 (please give a write up on these as They're new)

R-compounds for sure.

Thanks,
Chef

·
Registered
CTS-V
672 Posts
Chef:

I'm running the Hooiser R6 (245/40-18) and really like them. Previous track tires were a bitt too small (can't remember the size) for the car, wearing way too fast. Took about two sessions to get the pressure dialed in on the Hooisers and smooth sailing from there on.

If you opt for the Hooiser or Toyo tires, contact Todd Swift at Frisby Race Tire (800) 798-7201 or www.FrisbyRaceTire.com.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Don't mean to undercut Feff because Frisby sponsors MVP Tracktime(great outfit, FTW!) but keep an eye out on Hoosier's own website. You won't see discounts on popular current tires, but you'll see discounts on discontinued and race series tires.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
Don't mean to undercut Feff because Frisby sponsors MVP Tracktime(great outfit, FTW!) but keep an eye out on Hoosier's own website. You won't see discounts on popular current tires, but you'll see discounts on discontinued and race series tires.
I've been watching Hoosier's site since last winter and haven't seen anything in the discontinued section in our size except the A6s. I didn't know that Frisby sponsors MVP Tracktime, but I bought my R888s from Frisby because it was, by far, the lowest price at $285 tire.

·
Registered
CTS-V
672 Posts
Jim, no harm!

To clarify, Frisby nor any of our other "Preferred Vendors" (Elf, Carbotech or Simpson) give us any money. The arrangment is for preferred pricing and some gift certificates given away at our track days as door prizes for all MVP Track Time attendees.

Feff

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Grassroots just had an article about road racing tires, and gave a pretty good write-up on the new Nitto's. The thing that caught my eye about the Nitto's NT01's was: #1 not that expensive ($220 for 245's, $250 for 275's), #2 that they gave nice auditory feedback at the edge (rather than ...grip...grip..O Fuc|<!), and are avialbale roughly in our size (245/40 r18 & 275/35/R18 if you want to run staggered).

I'm still trying to track down a set of rashed rims for track use (PM if you have some for not a lot!), and will probably go this route, unless I can find a steal like Jim did w/ his Hoosiers. I haven't ever run comp's on the track, so I thought the feedback on the Nitto's would be a good 'transitionary' tire for me.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Right now I'm wanting to go toyo R888 and use them for street too or maybe the sport cups - I only travel about 22 miles a day total to and from work and with rare rain.

But, the wheels are coming 18x10 & 18x9.5 from ccw and with a little more added torque now I'd like to go 285 or 295 rear and minimum of a 275 up front (going tomorrow to look at fender rolling)

I may have to go 30 or max 35 for clearance issues.

Looking at the overall diameter of my current:

GS-D3's

Front - 245/45/18

Overall diameter - 26.7
Section width - 9.6
Tread width - 7.8

Rear - 275/40/18

Overall diameter - 26.8
Section width - 10.9
Tread width - 9.4

Compared to the Toyo's R888

Front - 275/35/18

Overall diameter - 25.7
Overall width - 11.0

Rear - 295/30/18

Overall diameter - 25.1
Overall width - 11.8

Q: Will these Toyo's work without major fabbing?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V 2004 street, Cadillac CTS-V 2004 Race
127 Posts
We use 18x9.5 CCW front and rear, with 275/35/18 Hoosier A6 front and rear. Assuming your backspacing is correct, fender rub is only an issue if you have added jounce travel to the front shocks (like we have), or have a poor alignment (not enough negative camber)
I think a staggered tire setup with a stock type suspension would be good with an R6 setup. However your front will wear much faster than your rear due to front axle weight and the understeering effect of larger rear tires.

Have Fun,
JB

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts
rgd runs the R6's, Denniscars runs Nitto NT01's. Both guys run 245/40-18.

Calicadi runs the Michelin Cups, at least he did last year.

On the Corvette I run Kuhmo V710's, great tires and they were cheaper than R6's when I bought them. Got them heat cycled from TireRack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts