Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to put a PC in my car and are a little stuck on how to use the GMOS-10 adaptor.

do i have to use an aftermarket head unit or can i just connect this PC audio output to the RCA cables on the GMOS-10? i dont see the point of having to install an aftermarket headunit if im just gonna run the PC into it, and then the headunit goes to the speakers. after all i have the BOSE amp so i shouldnt need the headunit to power the speakers.

can anyone help me out? thanks

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,822 Posts
Every CTS has an amp, whether be bose or not. If you are going to install the carputer, the gmos will only help with all the static if you didn't use it. The factory radio outputs on two channels and they are low level. So you could hook up the carputer directly to it. But it won't sound good, and you can only go up to a certain level. But if you use the gmos, it will help out alot.

Just to let you know, all of the volume, balance, fade and EQ are done through the factory amp. Hence why there are only two channels going to it.

KOT

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS V6 2.6 (LY9)
81 Posts
In my opinion, if you are going to install a Carpc you don't need that kind of device.
The point is to keep factory radio and the DIC, so if you build a harness to allow you switching from the radio to the CarPc you are done.

Installing the GMOS-10 will not avoid you the job of building the herness to switch the audio sources so there will be no gain in that term.

Regarding the the low level output signal from the PC, Kingoftypos is right and you will need to use an auxiliary amp for it.

You can check my installation to figure out what kind of harness is necessary to drive the audio through the factory speakers.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, i thought i would clarify a few things.

i DO want to remove my entire cadillac radio/cd/nav unit. i understand i will loose the DIC but i have the 3.6L version where the unit looks as follows...

i want to remove this whole unit and then mount just a touchscreen in it's place. all controls will be through the touchscreen and i can get a nice mount/bracket for just the touch screen.

therefore keeping this is mind, would i be best to install the GMOS-10 and then a headunit with 4x RCA outputs. i would also make sure the headunit has a aux in which i can then plug the carputer into...does that make sense and is it a good plan?

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
You should get in contact with afterdigital. He set up a computer where the nav is supposed to go and it was pretty cool. You could surf the web on it and everything. I saw it at the NY get together a couple of years ago.

He's still around so reaching him should not be too difficult.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Hmmm that changes the whole playing field. First of all, send me a pm and we can talk about the factory's navi unit. :) We could talk about a trade with my old factory unit. I'll explain below.

Since you are going away with the whole factory navi, in my opinion using the gmos10 would be a great thing. For one is like what I said, keeps the static down. Second better volume control, third if you plan on using it OnStar. Forth, allows you to hook up the CarPc to the gmos and be able to keep the CarPc on when you take the key out and before you open a door. Just like your factory navi.

To make this system even better, so that you won't lose the steering wheel controls such as the volume control. You'll need to hide a factory radio in the trunk, well at least the mother board. The daughter boards that are on the front part is not needed for something like this. The volume control on the steering wheel is like an A - B switch. They both go to ground and break away at the same "click". However, the timing is different for whether you moving the dial clockwise compared to conterclockwise. This is how the radio knows which was it was turned. So far, no aftermarket Steering Wheel control is able to do that. So if you have a factory radio hidden (mine) and all the wires hooked up as needed. Then you would be able to control the volume via the steering wheel.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 CTS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kingoftypos - i tried to PM you but cant as i'm new to the forum and haven't got access to this yet...!

anyway i have been further thinking/researching the solution and i now know i will need a headunit in order to get the setup i want. i have seen the following and wonder if anyone would say it fits my needs well. it has an 'aux in' which is perfect to connect my carputer to and has Front and Rear Channel Preouts which will work well with the GMOS-10. here is a link to the unit (please note i'm in the UK so price in £s) http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-ips925mp-3-5mm2rca_p-21286.htm

im thinking of mounting the head unit in the glovebox and only have the touchscreen on the centredash. is this do-able?!

thanks

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
I still don't understand why you would need an aftermarket head unit. The factory radio puts out line level for the left and the right channels only. There are no front, rear or sub outputs from the factory radio. That is all done in the factory amp, which I am sure that you would be keeping if you like to keep on using the volume knob on the steering wheel. Though I am sure that the carputer will have the correct level outputs to plug right into the gmos unit. You'll just need to buy a headphone jack to rca jack wire. Adjust the volume on the carputer so that it will sound good and high with out distortion. Then just use the dial on the steering wheel for everyday adjustments.

As for trading pieces, don't worry about it. I doubt your factory navi's software will allow me to put American maps on it.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 CTS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KOT - i agree with you that i dont see why i need a headunit, however 3 different places i have spoken to say i will need one in order to do what i want. i think im just gonna have to gamble and buy the GMOS-10, hook it up and see what works. if i do need a headunit it's only around £50 so not the end of the world

·
Registered
2005 CTS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok so i've finally got my GMOS-10! shipping, customs etc.. all too their time but it's finally here. i am having a few issues hooking up the device and wonder if anyone can help.

i am installing a Sony CDX-GT616U head unit.

my first (and ultimately) main question is to the colours and marking of the wires on the GMOS-10 match those on the stereo? is it simple a case of matching up the colour wires and going from there?

i am confused on which part of the stereo i should link these wires to,

on the 14-pin adaptor i have done the following,

blue/white -> manual says put into amp turn on output (i put into AMP REM)
red -> manual says put into 12v accessory or switched (i put into SWITCHED POWER SUPPLY)

16pin adaptor

yellow -> manual says put into 12v battery or memory wire (I put in CONTINUOS POWER SUPPLY)
blue/white -> manual says put into amp turn on output (I put in AMP REM)

alongside this i have put the pre-outs of the headunit into the RCA plugs.

can anyone tell me i am correct here as i can't get the headunit to power up and i am really excited to get it working!

thanks

·
Registered
05 CTS
1,395 Posts
hey,

I PM'd you.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
I assume you hooked up the black from the gmos to the black of your head unit, which should be ground for the head unit.

Other than that, it should be working. If it's not then double check the fuse on the radio and the fuse on the car for the radio. It will be located in the rear driver's side fuse box. Just lift up the rear seat and push the carpet forward on the driver's side. There is a fuse box there, just open er up and the icons are on the upper inside part of the box.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 CTS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KOT - thanks for the input. i didnt have it grounded so did that. also i re-made all my wire connections and it's working! thanks again

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 2006, CTS 3.6 2007
5 Posts
I know I'm 6 years too late but I have a gmos 10
A Sony double din head unit and
A Cadillac CTS 2006 in the UK
I CANNNOT for the life of me get it to work, some wires don't match up and I am driving to Croatia in less than a week. Please help

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
What's not working exactly? Is the aftermarket not turning on? Or it's not producing audio through the speakers?

With you being in the UK, and most likely a CTS built for the UK. Does the UK spec cars use different wires for the radios? If so, then that could mean that the GMOS 10 has to be built for an UK spec car.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 2006, CTS 3.6 2007
5 Posts
When I plug it in the power comes on because I can hear the mechanism inside working but the screen doesn't work and no lights come on, the guy who was having problems but the got it to work higher up the thread is also in the UK so I don't see why mine will not work, desperate to get it working now I'm driving to Croatia on Friday

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Take the red wire, should be the "switch" wire and hook it up to the same wire as the yellow is connected to. Do this as a test to see if the aftermarket radio comes up.

If it does, then you'll need to test the wires coming from the GMOS-10. Find out which one is the 12 switching wire. Do this with the door open, so you'll be able to turn on/off the key and that wire will also power down. If you leave the doors closed, then that wire won't power down until you do open. So just make it easy, leave the door open.

If it does not power up, then there's something wrong with your aftermarket radio.

KOT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts