Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Silver with black interior.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked under the hood of my 2006 CTS-V and it has only one of those hood support things... shouldn't there be 2??

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Nope, just one.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
The hood is light, so the one is adequate.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
55 Posts
Yeah, these have aluminum hoods, so guess they figured only one is needed (they seemed to have cheapened up everywhere they could on our cars :( )...My Jeep WK was the same way. Looks odd, but should be any issues.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Meh. It's an aluminum hood. It's not being cheap, it's not being redundant. It's reducing weight. It's making it easier to work under the hood. I think it would take a long time for it to wear out.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
612 Posts
The other half of it is, since the hood is aluminum, and most likely fairly thin, if they put double (or stronger) gas springs on it, you might risk bending a crease in the hood if you yank down hard on the hood pulling it from its fully open position.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
:fact: a thread about 1 or 2 hood struts needs 5 out of 5 stars

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
That threw me at first, also, because the mounts are there for another support. Is the hood aluminum? It was on my RX-8, but I didn't know it was on the Caddy!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
55 Posts
That threw me at first, also, because the mounts are there for another support. Is the hood aluminum? It was on my RX-8, but I didn't know it was on the Caddy!
When in doubt, try a magnet :) The hood is thin, but has been reinforced underneath to add a lot of strength over such a relatively large surface...I bet the other side has the holes, etc. for the regular CTS, maybe? I still say GM is cheap anyway they can, lol, but yeah it's probably not needed though. If you were to put two, maybe have each one less 'pressure' than the oem. I know this isn't an issue, but my only concern with using one is that the hood could possibly get tweaked, but again there is so much support built in to the middle via those round supports, don't think it would ever be an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts