Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
188 Posts
In the US hood ornaments must be spring-loaded so that they do not impale predestrians. This regulation came out in the early 70s (1973 or so).

I personally like hood ornaments. Hartford guy is correct. All the experts complained and degraded American cars for their "excessive" styling. Now US cars are plain and unattractive and don't sell very well. Funny thing is every once in a while a critic will talk about "all the chrome" on such and such a new car and I think to myself, what chrome??? And the names have been replaced by letters and numbers. The dechroming and denaming was suposed to improve sales. It didn't.

Funny, I never felt American carswere of lessor quality than comparable foreign models. And yes I know somoene out there will tell the tale of their lemon, but every company has lemons.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
I don't think a law exists concerning hood ornaments in the US. As to a specific law in the early 70s, I have been unable to find it.
And there is a mention of the hood ornaments in this study by MIT in 1977 and a mention that there were no laws at that time.
Just google Working Paper MIT-EL 77-036WP

It is understood that most manufacturers that still have Ornaments, spring load them, or even in the case of the RR ornament "Spirit of Ecstasy", is retracted....

If you have documentation of such a Law, I would very much like to see it as this comes up a lot on every car forum.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I need one to help center my car on the narrow rural lanes, Tacky ?? I did buy a oem unit it is somewhat larger than the previous ones so super tacky perhaps, I trust the car will give it some class, LOL LOL.
sts96
Tape a banana on hood and have a picnic when you arrive.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
In the US hood ornaments must be spring-loaded so that they do not impale predestrians. This regulation came out in the early 70s (1973 or so).

I personally like hood ornaments. Hartford guy is correct. All the experts complained and degraded American cars for their "excessive" styling. Now US cars are plain and unattractive and don't sell very well. Funny thing is every once in a while a critic will talk about "all the chrome" on such and such a new car and I think to myself, what chrome??? And the names have been replaced by letters and numbers. The dechroming and denaming was suposed to improve sales. It didn't.

Funny, I never felt American carswere of lessor quality than comparable foreign models. And yes I know somoene out there will tell the tale of their lemon, but every company has lemons.

Stilettos (knives) are spring loaded. Wonder if they qualify.

Or, how about the white plastic-on-metal lady from the Pontiacs in 1949 and the 50s!! No sharp edges on that one.

BTW, 1958 Buick Roadmaster = 258 lbs of chrome.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Or, how about the white plastic-on-metal lady from the Pontiacs in 1949 and the 50s!! No sharp edges on that one.

BTW, 1958 Buick Roadmaster = 258 lbs of chrome.

Actually the plastic and metal ornament from the Pontiac...is not a lady...
It is Chief Pontiac of the Ottawa Indian tribe (from the Great Lakes area of the US)

The plastic head part, was lit up when the lights were on.
The plastic was originally a light amber, to symbolize the color of the Indian.
The sun and weather would eventually fade it to white.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Long forgotten about...2 years ago...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts