Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I'm not sure that crazy glue's gonna help much......if they're gonna steal it, that's probably not gonna stop em.

I wonder if there's a big enough market for a hood ornament alarm if we get a little kit together?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
powerglide said:
I'm not sure that crazy glue's gonna help much......if they're gonna steal it, that's probably not gonna stop em.

I wonder if there's a big enough market for a hood ornament alarm if we get a little kit together?
Ya know, I find it strange that the base Deville gets a nice hood ornament but the DTS upscale doesn't! I like them but overall manufacturers don't use them much anymore. I like that the Lincoln TC brought them back. I wonder if Lincoln uses an alarm. It's probably only worth it with the gold plated ones.

I guess you'll never see a hood ornament on a Lexus or an Acura because traditionally luxury cars got them. Someone could probably make it a private business to make and sell these things?(alarms)

You're right, the glue probably won't hold it when I check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Hood ornaments are awesome. They pretty much make the car in certain ways. Lincolns and Cadillacs need them, period.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
Hood ornaments are awesome. They pretty much make the car in certain ways. Lincolns and Cadillacs need them, period.

Don't forget Rolls Royce (but not Bentley)!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well the Crazy Glue didn't hold and I'm glad now because if it was "Solid" some one could have just broke it off. I'm glad I didn't mess it up, and it looks too awsome to take off now and I'm tired of saving it for the next owner. I WANT to see it! :)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
OK, just phoned the Caddy dealership again and the parts guy said the gold plated hood ornaments are discontinued but they are in stock. PRICE for a gold one $370.00 Cdn!!!!!

Silver $78.20!!!

I can't believe the price for a gold one! :rolleyes2

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
My upholstry guy said he could get me an entire gold package for the price of the silver!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
DopeStar 156 said:
My upholstry guy said he could get me an entire gold package for the price of the silver!
I would DEFINATELY take advantage of that because they will be hard to find in the future! Unless you already have all gold emblems...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,424 Posts
powerglide said:
When he said crazy glue I thought he meant crazy gluing a razor blase to it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,424 Posts
Ralph said:
OK, just phoned the Caddy dealership again and the parts guy said the gold plated hood ornaments are discontinued but they are in stock. PRICE for a gold one $370.00 Cdn!!!!!

Silver $78.20!!!

I can't believe the price for a gold one! :rolleyes2
I think it would be cheaper to have the silver one gold plated.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ranger said:
I think it would be cheaper to have the silver one gold plated.
AND it would look better then when I spray painted the silver one to look gold! :suspense: Don't worry, I used paint thinner and removed it after a year. It didn't look too bad. :hide:

If I had $370 to blow I would get an extra one but I wonder how much plating would cost? Where do you go, a jewellery place?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Guys, guys, stop it. Any city has people that have machines that they go to body shops or dealerships where they do gold plating. Used to be they could only gold plate metal now they can gold plate plastic in 23K plating with the item on your car. I've watched them do it. I bet you could get your silver hood ornament done for $40.00. Not sure about that but I have paid those prices in the past. If you can't find someone to do that let me know I'll have you mail a chrome one to me and have it done here. Check it out.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
Ralph said:
AND it would look better then when I spray painted the silver one to look gold! :suspense: Don't worry, I used paint thinner and removed it after a year. It didn't look too bad. :hide:

If I had $370 to blow I would get an extra one but I wonder how much plating would cost? Where do you go, a jewellery place?
I had thought about spray painting my Caddy Emblem on my Keychain back silver. But, I didn't think it would look right.
As far as plating goes, there should be a place in your town that specializes in custom plating jobs. There's a couple in my town that do it but I think the prices are steep. I know one guy that got his mirrors, an interior piece and the windows sill under his back window (on a 1985 Grand Prix) for $400. they did a good job too.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
addison_ii said:
there should be a place in your town that specializes in custom plating jobs.
I'm sure there is. Thanks for the info guys. I never thought about an autobody place.

I know the rear emblems on my car are gold plated and plastic.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,424 Posts
Pick up a phone book and look up "plating" or "metal finishing" or somthing on that order. I'd bet you could get it done pretty damn cheap.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Ralph said:
I would DEFINATELY take advantage of that because they will be hard to find in the future! Unless you already have all gold emblems...
I think I will take him up on that. Even if I don't put it on, I'll just hang onto it incase I change my mind.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Damn, knew I should have saved the alarm off that coupe. Didn't know they were that hard to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 93 SDV has the ornament alarm. The old people I bought it from said they had 2 ornaments stolen, and had it hooked up at the dealer with the third ornament.

It sounded really loud and good back in '96, but now it sounds like a sick cow. I guess the contacts are not contacting well anymore.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts