Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
i might buy one of those flush mounted hood ornaments like the ones on the cars with night vision. those are hard to steal i hear but not sure. after mine got stolen i ordered another one but unfortunately it is chrome and not gold and they didnt offer a gold ornament between 93-96 for the Fleetwoods. i am going to order all new symbols (the new style) and put them all around save for the one on the trunk, but all that will have to wait until i replace the top on mine. i am going with a white landau top.

·
Registered
1981 CoupeDeville, 1990 Eldorado, 1994ETC(RIP)
1,093 Posts
AElayyat said:
I don't think its a factory option as far as I know, it could have been a dealer add on or something along those line.
ding ding ding we have a winner I remember the demo unit on the salesmans desk when my grandmother bought the 90 eldo spring ed. in 1989

·
Registered
81 Eldorado, 91 Sedan DeVille, 91, Fleewtwood, 92 Brougham
203 Posts
My 93 has a hood ornament alarm...didn't realize it until I was washing it one day...scared the crap out of me!

·
Registered
81 Eldorado, 91 Sedan DeVille, 91, Fleewtwood, 92 Brougham
203 Posts
93 SD 44k Academy Gray/Burgandy w/ $700 worth of a bad torque converter

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
I was just at my local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about. They've never heard of a hood orniment alarm.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I saw your post Dope and it reminded me to phone just now.

Anyway the parts guy said they were never offered on NEW Cadillacs but they were offered as sort of an "aftermarket" installation. They haven't carried them for a number of years now but they did sell them to Cadillac owners who wanted them. So our Cadillac dealership knows about them.

interesting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know after market alarms are sold that will alarm the hood ornament. Some older Rolls Royce if you touched the ornament it would drop down into the grill. Spring loaded like a mouse trap. The new rolls will electronically have an alarm and electronically pull it down into the grill. Caddy never had the alarm feature straight from the factory.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
upstate said:
I know after market alarms are sold that will alarm the hood ornament. Some older Rolls Royce if you touched the ornament it would drop down into the grill. Spring loaded like a mouse trap. The new rolls will electronically have an alarm and electronically pull it down into the grill. Caddy never had the alarm feature straight from the factory.
So how would you polish the hood ornament on the Rolls? That's wild!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Ralph said:
So how would you polish the hood ornament on the Rolls? That's wild!
Haha you don't I guess. I also pushed the Hotbutton today in a blue Yukon. Needless to say I lost.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's a thought, I'm tempted to crazy glue the part that moves in the base of the ornament so that no one could flex it to cut the spring retainer with a pair of wire cutters to get the actual ornament! The problem might be that if it gets bent I'd have to change the whole thing, but it wouldn't really matter because you change the whole thing with one hex nut anyway back to the silver one?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Naah, it's not worth it. I'd just look for the alarm on eBay or something like that. I'm sure they're out there.

·
Registered
2004 deville
36 Posts
on my 75 eldo convertable, afiter it was de-ornamented... i rigged myself a sensor.

I had laying around a few older generic carberator throttle springs (about a buck at the parts store). They bend easy so I mounted a mini toggle switch (lots of sheet metal skin on the '75) with the toggle handle down. One end of the caperator srint i tightened up the "eye loop" and poped a rivet with a washer to hold it. I then bent a loop arount the toggle handle and then bent a loop around the ornament base holde rcatch. Now tilting the ornament back pulls on the toggle. Its wired to the horn.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I've looked all over the net and can't find ONE for sale!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
None??? Ebay? Any other car places where you can look?

I just bolted the gold one on there tonite and daymn it looks good!! It's still mint but I don't care because I'm tired of looking at the silver one. It was probably stupid but I put some crazy glue around the round base so hopefully it will harden overnight. There seems to be a clear coating on the gold.

If someone does steal it I hope I can get another hood ornament from the Cadillac dealer and it won't cost too much.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts