Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put the gold plated hood ornament back on my car this summer but I've always been concerned that it might get stolen. I know that when Dad bought this car new, he mentioned something about it having an alarm with the horn but he supposedly told the dealer not to bother hooking it up because the car came with the chrome ornament and he said he would install the gold himself. Since I've had this car I haven't used the gold.

Was there some sort of alarm for these because there are no wires or anything that I can see?

If true, how difficult would it be to rig it up?

Does anyone have an alarm for their hood ornament?

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
no alarm ...we have a 5lb ankle biter dog that so damned scared of everything he barks if the grass moves ...and if someone ventures anywhere enar the driveway he lets everything in a 6 block radius know .....thats my hood ornament alarm ...if the damned ornment moves on its own we will know ....

damn dog , dont know weither to kick it or feed it another biscuit

hood ornments are easy to change , only use the gold one for hot dates ....

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
I've heard about this thing too, I thought it was part of the alarm system.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
the only way i can figure to wire one would work only when the theif has ripped it off the car ...too little too late

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,178 Posts
Ralph said:
I want to put the gold plated hood ornament back on my car this summer but I've always been concerned that it might get stolen. I know that when Dad bought this car new, he mentioned something about it having an alarm with the horn but he supposedly told the dealer not to bother hooking it up because the car came with the chrome ornament and he said he would install the gold himself. Since I've had this car I haven't used the gold.

Was there some sort of alarm for these because there are no wires or anything that I can see?

If true, how difficult would it be to rig it up?

Does anyone have an alarm for their hood ornament?
Hold on guys, there does exist such a device. I have one installed on my 89 Sedan DeVille (when my pops purchased the car it was already there). This device hooks up to the horn some how, and if an ******* tries to steal your hood ornament the horn will sound as long as it is not in the normal positon.

I don't think its a factory option as far as I know, it could have been a dealer add on or something along those line.

Go to your local Caddy dealer's parts dept. and tell them you want a hood ornament alarm and they should have it. I got one for my 85 Fleetwood Brougham but never got around to installing it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,284 Posts
I don't beleive it is a dealer option. I suspect it was home made. Not too difficult to do. It should be nothing more than hooking the horn wires up so that when the crest is lifted, they make contact and sound the horns.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Years ago I had a 79 cougar with a cool big ornament, After about 3 ripped off and no patience left here was the cobble solution:
Since the front nose was fiberglass a electric fence charger was installed under the hood and connected to the ornament. When the car was parked I had a switch to turn the charger on. Had the ornament crooked a few times after, But neve lost one again..

On a caddy, The ornament is connected to the metal hood thus grounding, It would need some electical insulation to work but as a desperate measure could probably be done...

If nothing else maybe everyone will get a chuckle out of this past desperate solution I had....

·
Registered
1987 Coupe DeVille (dark garnet red with white sim-con top)
55 Posts
It would be cool if mine had the alarm for that!!!

I find the hood ornament really sets the car off style-wise. Looking out as you cruise along & seeing that big symbol.

My anti-theft system consists of 2 pitbulls, you can't walk by the house & they're in the window barking their heads off LOL.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
LOL! Yeah...I thought of that too. In fact I recall a thread on this
forum a LONG WHILE back, where we discussed this. Some had mentioned this
electrical shock method (although it had something to do with wiring it
directly to the battery) and some mentioned shapening the bottom of the
ornament to slice the fingers of the crooks.....but in the end we all
agreed it was an accident/lawsuit waiting to happen. Old lady crossing
the street, grabs it and keels over scenario.

Wiring it to the horn seems ideal! (unless you get one of those
RollsRoyce electrical retract ornaments....those are so cool!)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,284 Posts
I recall a thread about this a while back (maybe on caddyinfo). A guy attatched razor blades to the bulldog ornament on a Dodge I think it was. Worked very well as he found blood all over the hood. The ornament was still there but his windshield was smashed. I think it is best to scare 'em away rather than piss 'em off. They'll usually want revenge.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
a buddy of mine had a hood ornament alarm on his 1990 Sedan Deville. I dont have the hood ornament alarm, but i do have the security package which includes the regular alarm. Its a great feature, i would be afraid to have a Caddy without the alarm.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
I have installed one. Definitely not a home made device, but definitely an add-on. Found it in the junkyard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
powerglide said:
Sorry, I accidentally deleted your question because I clicked the wrong button. If you remember repost it.
-DopeStar 156-

Damned Dopestar!? ;-)

I know it wasn't a question, more a comment.....it was kinda long winded.

Anyone have a quote of what I posted? (on your email/response reminder)

No biggie....

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
LOL! Sorry. Being a mod I have "EDIT" buttons for everyone's posts. I brainlessly clicked that, and edited your post instead of quoting it which was what I wanted to do.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmmm thanks. Still can't figure out of it was a factory offered or dealer installed option because I coulda swore the salesman mentioned something about it to my Dad back then. Sandy, where are you??

I'll get around to phoning the Caddy dealership and ask if they have them sometime.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
ill do the same ralph ....if i can get one of those ill spring for a new ornment ...140,000 miles has taken its toll on the "cripsness" of the ornment , the plastic has pitted and faded to hell and no ammount fo polish has been able to help it ...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts