Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville base
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a base model 2005 cadillac deville and when I'm driving on the highway or driving with high wind, my hood seems to fly up a little bit, like its only caught by the second release switch. Its latching fine, but it seems like the whole latch mechanism itself is super wobbly, like its missing screws. Are there screws somewhere on the latch mechanism that is accessible from the top, or do I have to put it on a jack and go underneath? Regardless, is there a map diagram of the hood latch mechanism I could get? It's been like this before I even took ownership of it. It never swung completely open and I doubt it would, (after 15 years on the road I don't think it would change) but with this pandemic going on I have so much spare time, and if its manageable I might as well try.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,579 Posts
A loose/misaligned hood latch is a very dangerous accident waiting to happen.

Your hood latch is described in the GM/Cadillac/Helm service manual - Body section, Doors/Hood/Trunk subsection. Quite a few nuts, bolts, springs, latches, cable.

There are several adjustments and alignments possible.

Either find a used paper set on eBay or subscribe the car to a multi-year at www.alldatadiy.com - the online real GM service manuals. The service manuals are out of print in www.helminc.com -originally $300 in paper.

·
Registered
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
790 Posts
Years ago I had a hood fly open once on my '74 eldorado, not fun, it destroyed the hood and almost broke the windshield. You need to get that buttoned up before something bad happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts