Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hwy 152 East of Los Banos, Ca. Iwas rolling along at around 80 when this guy in a honda somthing or other zips up behind me and starts flashing his lights. I Moved over and let him pass with his little plastic ground effects and spoiler etc....a couple minutes later ( I'm still going the same speed on cruise cntrl.) He's in front of me blocking traffic. I started to pass and he hits it and I hear this sound like a screaming gnat ( He thinks it's an engine ) Mini man doesn't want get passed. so I speed up a little and start around him again....Same game! And he's lookin' over at me like he's doin' something! So, I give him a sympathetic glance and stand on it! It was like he stopped....I took it up to 115-120 and rolled along for a couple of minutes and then put it back on C/C. A little while later....Here he comes, Smilin' and noddin' his head, Gives a thumbs up and settles in behind me......Where he obviously belongs....Kinda cool!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I think if i never saw another ricer in my life i would be just fine, unless its on the highway and i kill them in a race! Thats about all their good for.

My cousin has one. he had all the ground effcts and a huge aluminum spoiler that went above the height of the roof about 8 in, until he got hit TWICE (got backed into by a truck in his own driveway). Anyway, he was telling me how when he puts it into second how fast it goes, he said hes at 60 before he knows it. I was like in an eldo, in that amout of time id be at 80.

truly pitiful

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I think because those cars are so light, it feels like they're really fast.. I had a Fiero once - it felt really quick. But it was a 4cyl so it couldn't have been that impressive. The 4cyl Fiero's were slow.. But if felt fast.. I think the weight of rice-burners deceives their drivers into thinking they have a fast car..

Then again, some of them are fast. I don't think there's any stock Cadillac that can beat a Subaru WRX...

Attachments

·
Banned
23 Posts
You know there is a delusion of speed and or quickness with a light car relative to a heavy car. If you could take two cars and one weighed 3000 pounds and the other 4500 pounds and they could both cover the quarter mile in the same say 14.0 seconds. You would swear to ride in them that the lighter car was quicker. Likewise if you were blindfolded and traveled in both cars at 100mph not knowing the speed you would swear you were traveling faster when you were in the lighter car. I am sure that wind, tire, engine, drivetrain, exhaust system noise and sound deadning material all play a part but all these things being equal I believe you would still think you were traveling quicker or faster in the light car. I don't know maybe it is soley because of those things.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think alot of it has to do with the suspension. For instance, in a cadillac, youll be driving at 70 and youll feel like your going 20. But compared to a car of similar weight but stiffer suspension, you will feel like youre going 70, and maybe more.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's another thing we haven't considered, The perception of speed is realative to what you have to compare it to. For instance...If you happen to drive a little sh*tbox piece of crap that'll only do a given speed, You think that's fast! If however you drive a real car that actually goes fast and is totaly comfortable doing it, Then you actually know what fast is...It then becomes your DUTY to let the other IDIOT know what he's missing! Ahh, The responsibilities that fall on us! ( The fortunate ones ) LOL,LOL

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:D Who ME????????????????????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:halo: Why.....I would NEVER.....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Actually, i havent had any runs with ricers. I live in a smaller town, and most of the cars are GM, since there were like 20 GM plants in town (but most have left to mexico, :) ). Basically most of the people are old with buicks or caddys, middle aged with vans, or teens with junkers. Also, the roads arent set up for it (30 mph + small town police= not worth it). There are only a few roads that it could be done on, and not too many people use them. Most of them are narrow, 2 laners.

In a nutshell, the ricer population isnt enough. Ive had a few bouts with other cars (like s-10s, and the mid 90s chryslers), but i knew they didnt have a chance so i didnt feel like wasting my premium gas (its frickin expensive in Anderson).

If i had the opportunity, i would certainly take them on, but there hasnt been one worth it. My friend got a mustang GT, and im gonna have to show him whos boss.

So im sorry i dont have any kill stories, but you'all will be the first to know when the time comes.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
The problem with the Honda (and other) 4-cyl. engines is that they don't really make any power until they get up to 4000 RPMs. Thus the buzzing gnat sound you hear.

In order to achieve that sound, they have to put on a new intake pipe, headers, free-flowing cat, and of course, the cat-back exhaust with the tip that looks like a coffee can. This does a lot to increase HP at high RPMs, but the lack of back-pressure absolutely KILLS their torque.

So to overcome that, they have to be able to launch the cars at 4000 RPM, which means they need a competition clutch. They'll also buy a lighter flywheel, put in bigger fuel rails, bigger throttle body, maybe even get a port & polish job done.

When they STILL can't break 12 seconds, they end up getting a turbo or a supercharger. This means that they also need to build up the motor to handle the extra power. These things are already at 10:1 compression. So the car sits in the shop for another month or two while they get all that work done.

Finally, a 350HP 4-cyl. engine is created. At the cost of about $20,000. Along the way the rice boy has also spent about $15,000 on 19" chrome rims, bigger slotted and drilled rotors, performance springs, ground-effects kit, and OF COURSE, a $9500 sound system with tv, dvd, and Playstation. BLING BLING! (whatever that means?)

He could've bought a brand new Seville for all that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah 'cause, After all that nonsense and expense. He still can't outrun the STS....or the 4.9 for that matter! BUT! He makes up for it by having a car with no room in it that rides like SH*T, looks ridiculous, sounds awful and is a Cop Magnet..... NOW, Even my 16 year old sees that the ricers are........STUPID!

Attachments

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Outstanding! Keep spreading the world! Young Cadillac fans are going to be very popular soon.. There goes the maturity level for this place.. hehe :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts