Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with a friend of my gf's last night. I found out he had an S2000 and have been wanting him to show up with it for some time now. Normally he drives his older jetta tdi, as it's much better on fuel, and the S2000 is mainly a show car. Well, we met up late-night on a short stretch of newly paved road. We went 3 times! I won the 2nd race, but only because he completely f-ed his 1-2 shift. The last race was the best, we both said we shifted pretty goood. He pulled 5-6 car lengths by 85mph. All he has done are mufflers and an intake. Let me drive it after, very nice car. I really don't like how high you need to rev to get power, but it makes up for it with the sound. :)

I don't just post wins ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah. i switched cars with my friend for a week. he drove my s-class and i took his s2k out. i love how it pulls when v-tec hits. and redlines at 9k. its unbelievable how honda is making so much power in their cars and the s2k runs on 11.1:1 compression. high compression engines kick a**. the only thing i didnt like when i dragged it was how it sometime fishtails or whips a little bit at launch. but then again i sometimes launched at pretty high rpm to get good runs.

But i still Love the CTS no doubt about it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
MontySkull said:
Depends on the year. Newer S2000's start getting into their powerband at around 3500 rpm. Older ones at 6000 or so.
powerband has improved but not that drastic

IHIeiniken said:
yeah. i switched cars with my friend for a week. he drove my s-class and i took his s2k out. i love how it pulls when v-tec hits. and redlines at 9k. its unbelievable how honda is making so much power in their cars and the s2k runs on 11.1:1 compression. high compression engines kick a**. the only thing i didnt like when i dragged it was how it sometime fishtails or whips a little bit at launch. but then again i sometimes launched at pretty high rpm to get good runs.

But i still Love the CTS no doubt about it.
They addressed the twitchness in 04 with retuned chassis

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
blah i hate S2000's i used to stomp them in my modded gtp, in order to make them fast u must be a good driver and know how to drive stick, and u must be willing to redline, i hate how people get excited about car that lets u red line at 9 grand, who cares if u dont start maken power till 6000 or so, i much rather have car that red lines at 7 and makes power from idle.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
S2000 isn't a straight line car. The 9000rpm redline is ideal on an Auto-X course where an S2000 can stay in 2nd or 3rd gear through a majority of the turns and remain in their powerband.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Monty is right, the S2K is not a drag car. The VTEC engine is an amazing piece of engineering though, with the dual cam profiles that continue to provide power/acceleration all the way to redline.

I would know, I sold my 03 CTS two weeks ago and am leasing an 05 S2K! I'm sure I'll hate it in February, but until the snow hits it's ALL GOOD!!!

Cheers,
Diane

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Jon said:
that's probably why you won. S2000s has to be launched aggressively to move quickly due to its powerband. I bet you from a roll he will leave you pretty badly

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
f1_fanz said:
Monty is right, the S2K is not a drag car. The VTEC engine is an amazing piece of engineering though, with the dual cam profiles that continue to provide power/acceleration all the way to redline.

I would know, I sold my 03 CTS two weeks ago and am leasing an 05 S2K! I'm sure I'll hate it in February, but until the snow hits it's ALL GOOD!!!

Cheers,
Diane
Diane,
There's that much difference between paying for your CTS vs Leasing a new S2K? I don't understand that move. Now you'll have to join the Honda Forum. You speak the lanquage?:D

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Diane,
There's that much difference between paying for your CTS vs Leasing a new S2K? I don't understand that move. Now you'll have to join the Honda Forum. You speak the lanquage?:D
actually there is. you can get a brand new s2k for 32k and loaded cts will near 40k. I've also thought about getting s2k except i was little too tall to fit in one.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
MontySkull said:
S2000 isn't a straight line car. The 9000rpm redline is ideal on an Auto-X course where an S2000 can stay in 2nd or 3rd gear through a majority of the turns and remain in their powerband.
but that argument could go either way. Having more torque means less shifting. Also another reason s2k is so good at the auto-x is its weight.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
f1_fanz said:

Cheers,
Diane
vtec in real life is not as impressive compared to some of the systems that other company are utilizing including cadillac's vvt systems in 3.6l and 4.6l

vtec is more of a on and off switch rather than contnuously adjusting the cam profile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gee Robert, thanks SO MUCH for bringing that up.

Leasing the S2K cut my monthly payments in HALF, to just $292/mo. Right now a MY05 can be had for less than invoice, about $29K.

VTEC is somewhat like an on-off switch, I would agree to that a certain extent. But IMO it IS very impressive, especially when you read up on how it works!

You'll hear S owners talking about "staying out of the VTEC" (above 5000 RPM) in order to increase gas mileage during the recent price increases. But the car pulls quite strongly right from 3000 RPM, and thanks to the short-shifter you can pull away from jokers in Civics, minivans, small SUV's, etc. pretty easily.

I'm already on the S2KI forum, but don't quite speak the lingo yet.

Cheers,
Diane

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
f1_fanz said:
Gee Robert, thanks SO MUCH for bringing that up.

Leasing the S2K cut my monthly payments in HALF, to just $292/mo. Right now a MY05 can be had for less than invoice, about $29K.

VTEC is somewhat like an on-off switch, I would agree to that a certain extent. But IMO it IS very impressive, especially when you read up on how it works!

You'll hear S owners talking about "staying out of the VTEC" (above 5000 RPM) in order to increase gas mileage during the recent price increases. But the car pulls quite strongly right from 3000 RPM, and thanks to the short-shifter you can pull away from jokers in Civics, minivans, small SUV's, etc. pretty easily.

I'm already on the S2KI forum, but don't quite speak the lingo yet.

Cheers,
Diane
Good Luck Diane. It was fun hanging out with you here and at the Edge.
Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
RobertCTS