Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V 2005 Black
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finallly had Many from Cambridge install my homemade diff supt. bushing which was a stock housing with urathane center pressed in.

THE CLUNK IS ALL BUT GONE! Just a little left in the driveshaft i think. I also had the uuc tranny mount put on at the same time.

The problem is, before I installed these 2 items, there was a low vibration felt throuout the car at hwy speeds only at light throttle. But now it is alot worse. It is always there and only gets worse the faster I go but is gone when I am coasting. Its not the tires or aything like that. Is it the transmision?:confused:

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
So I finallly had Many from Cambridge install my homemade diff supt. bushing which was a stock housing with urathane center pressed in.

THE CLUNK IS ALL BUT GONE! Just a little left in the driveshaft i think. I also had the uuc tranny mount put on at the same time.

The problem is, before I installed these 2 items, there was a low vibration felt throuout the car at hwy speeds only at light throttle. But now it is alot worse. It is always there and only gets worse the faster I go but is gone when I am coasting. Its not the tires or aything like that. Is it the transmision?:confused:
If the vibration is present in 6th gear but goes away in 5th gear (at the same speed) it could be the same transmission problem that has been reported in this forum by several others. Those cases usually led to either the replacement or the rebuilding of the transmission.

If not the Service Manual contains no fewer than 50 pages dedicated to the diagnosis of vibrations.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,732 Posts
Rb1 has had one for sometime. Probably about the same time I had mine made from an 08 Solstice poly bushing from Energy. Suspension.

Your vibrations in the drive train will have to be isolated accel/decel and different gears.

Norm

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
I had the vibration at highway speeds (77-81 MPH) and my local dealership just re-indexed the drive shaft and completely fixed the problem. I believe this is also a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), for certain 2004-2005 Vs.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
:postpics:
wut cadiblk said

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I know i should have included pics but my camera took a crap and I had no time to borrow one.

It seem like the vibration is in all gears, but espaecialy 5th and 6th. It gets more noticable the faster I go. It keeps roaring until i let off the gas and then it's smooth again. All I notice then is the diff whine when coasting.

Is there a mark on the diff to see if it is indexed properly?

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Sorry, I know i should have included pics but my camera took a crap and I had no time to borrow one.

It seem like the vibration is in all gears, but espaecialy 5th and 6th. It gets more noticable the faster I go. It keeps roaring until i let off the gas and then it's smooth again. All I notice then is the diff whine when coasting.

Is there a mark on the diff to see if it is indexed properly?
Go get your tires road force balanced,I have had that issue.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2018 Escalade ESV, 2019 CT6-V
1,271 Posts
I just had mine replaced with the UUC version, after 7,000 miles the stock one looked like crap.
If you are describing it right I notice a similar thing however, it's not a vibration. Mine seems more of a slight whine, that starts around 2000 rpms and gets worse the faster I go.
Not a vibration, just a faint whine only under throttle, not while coasting. My guess is it's more pronounced now because it's ridgid now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a strong vibration, not a whine. i do hear the whine, but I hear it from the back of the car. The vibration feels like it's coming from underneath me.

Is it possible that it could be flywheel/clutch related?

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
+1 on balancing your tires.

Also: check your motor mounts, are they (drivers side) leaking? Also, check your trans mount see if it's cracked/broken.

Then look at reindexing your driveshaft. 3 bolts on trans side (I think 18mm), six on diff side (either 8mm or 10mm allen head bolts, I cant remember) I can't remember if you'll have to take the small metal bracket in the middle off to move it or not.

P

·
0 Posts
If the vibration goes away when not under load (accel or decel) it is NOT you wheels being out of balance. What you're feeling is the UUC trans mount transmitting the vibration through the body. I would first get under there and remove the 6 allen bolts holding the rear of the driveshaft to the pinion, rotate the driveshaft 90° and reinstall the bolts with some locktite on the end of the threads. If that doesn't fix it or it gets worse, rotate it again 90° in the same direction and see if it goes away. It will take you longer to jack up the car and put it on stands than to do the actual indexing of the driveshaft.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I think i'll try that. Thanks.
So there is no marks or anything to line up?

·
Registered
09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
2,460 Posts
If the vibration goes away when not under load (accel or decel) it is NOT you wheels being out of balance. What you're feeling is the UUC trans mount transmitting the vibration through the body. I would first get under there and remove the 6 allen bolts holding the rear of the driveshaft to the pinion, rotate the driveshaft 90° and reinstall the bolts with some locktite on the end of the threads. If that doesn't fix it or it gets worse, rotate it again 90° in the same direction and see if it goes away. It will take you longer to jack up the car and put it on stands than to do the actual indexing of the driveshaft.
^This is 100% right. The only thing that I can add is that if you jack up the car and run it to vibration speed and the vibration is felt through the steering wheel, it's highly likely that the driveshaft is requiring indexing. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts