Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado. Northstar "Y" code
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 98 Eldorado I purchased had the slot for a Homelink opener. Got one from ebay and plugged it in. It's got power from the car, but I can't seem to program it.
We're talking 1998 technology for the car but only 2001 technology for the garage door opener. The opener does have rolling codes, so I've tried instructions from the internet for Homelink, from the garage door opener manual and from the car's owner's manual.
Am I a dunce or does the 3 year difference in age between car and door opener rule this out? FTR, the opener is a Lift Master, which I think is made by Chamberlain.
I'm using my spare remote that came with the opener, but I just hate the thought that I paid for this Homelink on ebay and now it's a paperweight. Anyone have any tips, tricks, similar experiences?

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
Does your car opener have the red or amber LED? The red is the older, non-rolling code unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your car opener have the red or amber LED? The red is the older, non-rolling code unit.
It's amber. I started out by simultaneously holding both outer buttons to clear it and start out fresh. Either it's not transmitting or I'm just not hitting upon the right combination. I'm thinking that somehow it's the latter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you moving the "learn" switch inside the garage door opener?
Up and down stepladder several times doing that. All I succeeded in doing was to wipe out my other remotes and outdoor key pad and having to reprogram them.
Pretty obvious that I'm missing a step somewhere. Got frustrated and gave up a couple of months ago. Just taking an interest in it again and wondering if anyone had been down the same road.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Some garage openers only communicate with a new remote "learning mode" for 30 seconds or so after the button is pressed ,in order to prevent unauthorized registration. See if you are exceeding the time limit.....

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,691 Posts
Below is a PDF file of the GM installation and programing instructions that came with my Homelink opener. The instructions refer to the LED as being red although this is the document that came with my amber LED opener. Hope it is of some help.

View attachment Opener.pdf .

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
Below is a PDF file of the GM installation and programing instructions that came with my Homelink opener. The instructions refer to the LED as being red although this is the document that came with my amber LED opener. Hope it is of some help.

View attachment 73186 .
Oh that is excellent, thanks!

I have two separate gates in my apartment building I wanted to try and code, but most instructions from posters here have included instructions for coding garage doors - obviously I cannot stand at the door opener itself and push any buttons on the door side! :)

This sounds more promising. Cheers!

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
i forget i jsut did this a month ago with the new garage door and all we had put in had to reprogram remote for 3 home link cars and 1 hand held remote and the built on outside of wall key pad pain in the but for me to do all that crap with but there is a video that will teach you how to do it i think on the home link website

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
My excitement on that .pdf might have been a bit premature...

I have the amber-light version as well, and when following the instructions in the .pdf it doesn't seem to do what the instructions say it will do. Has anyone successfully programmed an amber-version without triggering something on the garage door side?

I'm wondering if this will even work with my apartment parking garage gates...

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
My excitement on that .pdf might have been a bit premature...

I have the amber-light version as well, and when following the instructions in the .pdf it doesn't seem to do what the instructions say it will do. Has anyone successfully programmed an amber-version without triggering something on the garage door side?

I'm wondering if this will even work with my apartment parking garage gates...
just remember when you get one programed for the garage door
don't clear the codes to program the second for the gate i couldnt figure out what was going on myself at first

beacuase every time i would head to check on one of the other houses i would wonder how come the programing would be cleared and not work on the gate the next time around it was cause i kept clearing the codes each time when i did not have to

there should be a video on this on the homelink website just check it out the gate opening is usualy a rolling code atleast the ones dad has and you just have to find the learn button on where the gate opener is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts