Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 ETC thats homelink capable theres a STS in a yard by my house that has the modual installed. I tired a quick pull but it wouldnt come. i didnt wanna break it so i thought id ask here 1st. how do you yank the darn thing out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
I have a 97 ETC thats homelink capable theres a STS in a yard by my house that has the modual installed. I tired a quick pull but it wouldnt come. i didnt wanna break it so i thought id ask here 1st. how do you yank the darn thing out.
I put one in my car... looks like there is a prong that engages once you push the homelink unit into the cubbyhole. I didn't see an easy way to get it out without trashing the overhead console that it is in. Since it's in a yard already, just pull the overhead console down and remove the transmitter module from the top (the side that is typically against the headliner.)

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Termor i was gonna go for that but i didnt wanna screw it up in the process i was just hoping for a "safer" way to remove it ya kno? anyone else?

P.S. Homelink is the optional built in garage door opener in Caddies

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
I was looking at one of these on EBay. I can get it for a great price. I looked inside where this device goes but I didn't see a power source. Granted I didn't look with a light or anything. Are these powered by batteries? If it is then removal becomes very important.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nope, there is a power connection all the way inside. They plug and play...

There are different versions, though. GM has used the same form factor for many years, the older ones are more basic, with standard learning, some of them have more capabilities, like rolling codes, Homelink, etc. I don't know how to tell them apart off-hand, but I do know that there are differences between the red-LED version and the yellow-LED versions...

It's been a while since I did my research, though... if you find one with the Homelink logo, you know it's a later model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
He calls it a homelink transmitter in the ad, so you're in good shape on newer and older garage doors. You can see the power-connecting tab sticking out from the unit in the back left of the picture.

You can also see the tab that I was talking about in the center of the unit... it pushes in without a problem, but you'd have to find a way to push that tab down to remove it -- and there are no access holes to do so...

·
Registered
213 Posts
The part sticking out of the back of the transmitter slides into the power connector in the back of the slot in the overhead console. It's on the right side. The transmitter in the picture on the ebay ad is sitting upside down.
It looks like the newer version with the yellow LED. It should work with a rolling code opener.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
I'm solving this problem tommorow cuz I ordered on off ebay and It dont work. I looked at it, believe if you let the sunglass holder down, there are screws there, I think if you unscrew them you'll get to it, I'll let oyu knwo

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats the funny thing mine doesnt have a sunglass holder i know it should but it doesnt

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nothing i have the consoul up there just no door for the sunglasses it has the plastic frame and the fabric and it looks like u can push it and it will cause it to open but it doesnt open its all solid

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude its an ETC floor obviously lol i think it may have somthing to do with the fact i have a FACTORY sun roof. idk tho. hey you have an aim sn it would be alot faster to talk back and forth mine is PlzBreakTheCycle.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
429 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
nothing i have the consoul up there just no door for the sunglasses it has the plastic frame and the fabric and it looks like u can push it and it will cause it to open but it doesnt open its all solid
My STS is also like that. I wonder if its easy to change it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts