Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day.

I get a call from my buddy Bobby at around 4pm. I was at work. He says that my house just got broken into and that my roommate wanted to know i wanted to call the cops.

I rushed home and discovered my apartment was torn all to hell and back.My roommate tells me the story:

He was playing guitar and he hears a knock at the door. Its a short black kid. He opens the door and the kid asks if "John" was there. My roommate says no, and that was that.

10 minutes later, the same kid knocks on the door. My roommate opens the door and this time, the kid pushes himself in along with three other black gentlemen. One of them shoves a gun in his face and demands to know where the "guns and money" were. We, of course, have no guns or money. So they tie him up, blind fold him, and press a gun to his neck,saying they were going to kill him. They kept speaking Haitian or something like that.They go into my room and rip eveything apart. I mean EVERYTHING. Its an effing wreck.

When they dont get what they want, they pistol whip him and say "you better have what we're looking for when we come back".

They did get away with 2 of my Sony video cameras and my friends Olympus digital camera.

I call the cops when i get home,and no less than 7 cop cars show up. It was about a 3 and a half hour ordeal. The cops immediately started giving us shit, calling us drug dealers and what not. They did a thorough job of investigating, but didnt get much.

They took my Casselberry signs and threatened to arrest me for possessing them, and just acted like jerks for the most part. The head guy was cool,and the last couple cops to leave were cool and bullshitted with us for a bit.

Needless to say, we are moving out immediately.

I still have about 7 months on the lease. Do you guys think i will be able to break the lease, or do you think they will give me shit. This is listed as an official home invasion and is an open case with Seminole County Police Department.

They should let me get out of it right? I really dont feel safe.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Wow! Thank god you weren't at home at the time. How's your friend doing?

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
I would immediately invest in some personal protection... You may not have had guns when they first went in there, but if they go in there again I would want a 50 cal pointed in their face as soon as they open the door.

:boom:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah, move out and/or buy guns. Maybe someone can custom make you a sage green pistol? Haha, sorry, probably not the time to make jokes.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My roommate is fine.

I have mixed feelings about guns. I dont know if i would be prepared to use it. I dont know if pulling a gun on someone that has one is worth the risk of me getting shot or killed. But i also want to protect myself and my stuff.

Im talking to the apartment manager tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Man that sucks, sorry to hear it.

I believe every house should have at least one gun.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
This kinda reminds me of that scene from Pulp Fiction.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I wouldn't advise buying a gun to solve this problem.
First I'd say that statistically, depending on where you move to that it is pretty unlikely this will happen again.
Investing in good locks and a peephole will probably do you as much good.
I never answer my door if I don't know the person standing at it ringing the bell, I don't care who they are.
I don't care if they see me inside either.

I am glad to hear your room mate is okay, it might be good to advise him to seek some counseling for at least a week or two to make sure he doesn't suffer any long term effects from this ordeal.

I can't imagine that your landlord would give you grief about breaking a lease after an experience like that. I might imagine that they bear some degree of legal responsibility in allowing that to happen on their property. Not to say you should go after them of course... but just as a point that might be interesting to use as leverage if need be.
Regardless, I'd think it might be worth whatever penalty you might have to pay to break that lease anyway, for peace of mind if nothing else.

It's good to hear that you know things can be replaced and that you are both okay.

Good luck with finding a new place to live... etc.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Man.... sorry to hear about that :(

First things I would do is... get a peep hole... that way you can see whos at the door without opening it....

then get a chain lock or 2 on the door.... sure they wont prevent someone from breaking in, but if someone you didn't know did come up to the door, you can look thru the peep hole to see who it is, then either talk to them thru the closed door, or open it up with the chain lock set, and your foot behind the door (with sneaker on) so that way the door only opens a couple inches and if they tried to push it in, there is a good chance you'd catch the door and be able to close it again.

But, I dunno what I would do in that case... even if you had a gun in the house, your firend didn't have time, or the chance to go get it.... and thats one of the things they came looking for to begin with.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Imagine how dumb these Haitians felt after they realized they went to the wrong place.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Damn I'm sorry for both you and your roomie. I recommend the peep hole and an extra lock. Possibly if you do move to a different place, try and find a place with high security or an alarm system. I'm in an apartment this year with high security so I hopefully *knocks on wood* be safe.

I saw you said you're not big on guns but really its good to know how to deal with one. I've taken some gun classes when I was younger so I know the basics. For me I feel more secure knowing I have a gun in the house. I know how to use it and I know I can only use it in a DESPERATE situation.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
apartments suck, its that simple.

In Clearwater, I lived in an apartment place, "GATED COMMUNITY" yeah right, the gates never worked.... until I show up in my Oldsmobile after being away for a week in NY.... now they work?!? Followed somebody in to the complex to find my Coupe DeVille was stolen.

Besides that, the stupid crap I had to deal with living in an apartment complex.

I told myself that as long as I rent, its not gonna be from an apartment complex again. I now rent a 3br house, sure it dosn't have a pool, tennis court, volly ball court or crappy gym... all of which I never once used... and I have to mow my own lawn with my lawn tractor.... and the interior os the house looks like its from 1978 (tho all in great shape) but I've got my own place, my own drive way, a carport, my own yard, a work shop and all my neighbors are elderly.

Still though, even here, renting stinks.... howfully I'll only be renting a couple more years before I get my own place.... first I gotta see where I want to settle down at first.... Sometimes I'd just want to buy an old mobil home on a plot of land just to live in something I own and not have a landlord....

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are quite a few houses around here that are like 2 or 3 bedroom, that can be rented for fairly cheap. We are paying $915 a month for a 999 sq. ft. 2 bedroom. Its on the first floor and on the lake(retention pond). My buddy Dave used to rent a 2 bedroom house with a huge backyard for around $850.

I will get the paper this weekend and see whats good.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
That sounds like a neat little house ya got there Rick, do you have any interior pics? I'm curious as to see what a 1100 square foot 3br house looks like on the inside...like what's the configuration like?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I took pictures when I first came in.... and I'm not gonna take more until its cleaned up... its a mess.

House is alright It appears to be built in the 50's, and updated in the 70's and left there... there is no dishwasher, which stinks, but ah well. The oven is an old in-wall unit that works well tho.The house has wall to wall carpet in all rooms except the 2 bath rooms and the kitchen/dinning area. Its all the same carpet..... light/dark brown calico carpet, the thickish stuff... still in good shape tho.

The kitchen has no counter space at all, nor does the bathroom.... so it's a pain for cooking, tho I don't really have a problem with the bathroom... its just laid out kinda crappy.

So is the half-bath.... its connected to the master bedroom, while the main bathroom is connected to the hall way..... whats up with that? So the 1/2 bath is kinda useless unless there are 2+ people in the house and both gotta go....

Each bedroom has a good sized closet, with the master bedroom having a mini walk-in closet. The living room is pretty good size, but not very home-theater freidnly (one big thing with old house vs new) House has central A/C and heat.

House more then gets the job done, its just me living here, so I've got a full living room, kitchen/dinning area, my bedroom, a spare bedroom for when people come to visit and my computer and other stuff in the 3rd bedroom. I like the location, and the yard etc... Aimee first didn't like the house, and now does. I'm just renting it tho, so it dosn't really matter.... I'll be in here for a bit while I decide if this is where I want to stay for a while (Middle Georgia) and then once Aimee and I get married, she'll move in, and we'll start looking at houses, once the lease of that year runs out, we'll be out.... so maybe another 2 years if I decide to stay in this area?

It's cheap to live here, 6 hours from Tampa Bay/Gulf beaches, 3 hours from Savanah, GA.... there isn't much to do here in terms of entertainemnt, and Atlanta is too large of a city, but only an hour and a half away..... still tho, it is kind of in a central location that you can go away for a weekend and do a lot of things. There are a few theme parks within a couple hours etc... And for a small town, there is everything I need as far as places to buy stuff, and loads of restaruants.

The washer and dryer (which I had to buy, house had connections tho) are ouside in the little room thingy that seperates the carport from the rear covered patio/2nd car port, hot water heater is in there too. House has a fenced in yard with double doors on the side to drive a car in the back, in the back yard is a small work shop type building, or just used for storage... it has power to it tho. Every room has a ceiling fan, house has 3 entry doors, but only the one connected to the carport is used. I like the house alot.... I woudln't mind owning a house like this either as a starter house... I would just want more land tho, first thing I would personally do is remodel the interior, and update the kitchen/bath room.... the small bathroom is 70's blue, the big(er) bathroom is 70's yellow, but with a modern sink unit thingy.... both toilts are the old school massive 5 gallon per flush things that are nearly impossible to clog.... kinda cool.

Here is a simple floor plan... not exactly to scale, but you get the idea...

Like I said, 50's style house updated in the 70's best describes it.... personally I like open floor plans and stuff, but this isn't too bad, layout works good, but the kitchen and bathroom could have been better thought-out.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
When a guy tried to break through my front door I shoved a .44 S&W under his nose and he about got his feet caught in his ******* backing out of there. One thing to keep in mind is that somebody willing to break in your door with you inside is just as willing to kill you for your looks. I have a solid oak front door with a small reinforced glass pane and some serious locks on it and I don't think that King Kong and Godzilla working together could break it in. I keep heat in a drawer right alongside my front door. If you're at my door and I don't like the looks of you there may be a gun pointed at your belly button. An added benefit is that the Jehovah's Witnesses and the magazine salesmen don't hang around long if you're standing there with a gun in your hand.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
And by this picture, it looks like either Salvadore Dali or a bunch of drunks built it! Haha, j/k~! :p

An added benefit is that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't hang around long if you're standing there with a gun in your hand.

LOL! I'm laughing at the mental picture I drew up at this.

You pointing a pistol at the Jehovas Witness on your front stoop:"I'm a mormon damnit!!"

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
And by this picture, it looks like either Salvadore Dali or a bunch of drunks built it! Haha, j/k~! :p

LOL! I'm laughing at the mental picture I drew up at this.

You pointing a pistol at the Jehovas Witness on your front stoop:"I'm a mormon damnit!!"
I'm not dumb enough to brandish a gun at the witnesses but it's in sight. The Mormons are in suits and look like FBI agents.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts