Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For work today, I was out west of the Twin Cities, in a small town called Watertown, and I drove past this place that had all sorts of classic cars for sale, so naturally I had to spend some time there. Here's some pics to wet your whistle. More to come later.

There was a few people around, but all the cars were totally open to look at and sit in, and even some of them (that black '77) had the keys in 'em. Nobody minded anybody going and sitting in the cars, opening the hoods, etc etc. I must of killed atleast a half an hour there (lunch break ;) )

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
I saw a 66 CDV conv. for 9K in a recent ad.....decent shape to boot.

F

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
:drool: OMG... I think I saw Mecca... :drool: That black Coupe in the last picture made me lose it...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They had four '70s era Eldorados. Two 1977 coupes, a 1972 convertible and a '72 Coupe. I sat in all of them. :cloud9:

I love that big long hood.

Factory CB Radio (paging Rick)

Not much rear seat room.

Still working exterior thermometer. OK so it wasn't exactly 85* out...

Only 65,000 miles.

Love the tail lights on the 71-72 Eldorados. They just mucked it up later on.

The 75-78s have the better interior IMO, but the 71-72's are the best looking '70s era Eldorados. They just looked so powerful and bold.

Compare!

They had this magnificent beast there too. 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V Hardtop Sedan. One of my all time favorite 50s era cars.
There was nothing more intimidating looking made in the '50s or '60s.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Awesome find! Too bad I can't stumble upon something similar in my neck of the woods

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Breaker Breaker 1-9!

You mean 75*..... and 56k miles ;)

I like the black Eldo the best.... some strong lines right there.

A '72 Eldo drop top is still my 70's Cad of choice. I much prefer the '72 interrior with 120mph speedo and dash that "wraps around" the driver, with the climate and radio controls being right next to the steering wheel, just like one of the things I liked about my '93 Coupe so much.

What about the old Benz?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just imagine seeing this coming up fast in your rearview mirror on a cold, rainy night. :eek:

It was pretty cool how the door opened with the fender. VERY heavy and thick doors. It made the Eldorados feel cheap and tinny.

The interior had a real thick musk to it.

Note the power seat.

Six power windows (including the rear window. It slides down)

Really cool instrument panel. Hard as hell to get a good picture though.

The hood wasn't nearly as long on this though. They made it up with the rear deck.

Intimidation.

Check out the bangbus sittin by the Connie!

A little too "pimpwagon" for me.

Having the white paint really accentuates the hood's length.

120 mph speedo in the '72. It only went to 85 mph after the '75 redesign.

Very cool.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh god I need this badge!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
8.2 Litre...That's my kind of Happy Earth Day!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A '72 Eldo drop top is still my 70's Cad of choice. I much prefer the '72 interrior with 120mph speedo and dash that "wraps around" the driver, with the climate and radio controls being right next to the steering wheel, just like one of the things I liked about my '93 Coupe so much.

What about the old Benz?
No love for the old Benz. Too old and too small. I generally only like Mercedes built after the late '70s...old German cars are weird, aside from the 600 Grosser, 300SEL 6.3, and then all the SL's from that era, and all the Panzerwagens that were big from the late '30s to the early '50s.

Between the '77 and '72 Eldorados, I'd much rather own the '77. It had softer, more comfortable seats, better ergonomics, easier to read and reach controls, more fake wood trim, etc etc. Of course, if you wanted a convertible, then you'd have to go with the '71-76, but I'm sure the 71-72 would beat a 75-78 in a drag race, especially after they went to the 425. Not that either would be "fast", but it would be interesting to watch. I kinda wish I test drove that black '77, but I can always go back.

They've got a '76 Town Coupe somewhere too. I could cross review them both on one day.... ;)

Oddly enough, between that black '77 Eldorado (non Biarritz) and black/grey '79 Mark V I drove about a month ago, I think I like the Eldo more. It didn't feel as cheesy and totally over the top like the Lincoln did. I think a '77-'78 Eldorado Biarritz is one of my favorite '70s era land yachts now.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Actually, the car to the left of the Bangbus is a 1950 Ford Fordor.
Ah yes, you are correct, just like in the latest Indiana Jones movie... that's not the first time I've made that mistake.

the '49... and '50 Ford's are another personal favorite.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
When talking 70's era Lincoln's, if this thing was a production car, and not a custom job when new... there'd be one in my driveway right now. (what a difference 10-years and halfaworld away makes in car design)

I'd take one of those over any 70's Cadillac.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I die, I want the interior of my casket to look like those seats.

This dealer near me apparently has a '69 Mark III for sale too. I shall look at that.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Just imagine seeing this coming up fast in your rearview mirror on a cold, rainy night. :eek:

It was pretty cool how the door opened with the fender. VERY heavy and thick doors. It made the Eldorados feel cheap and tinny.

The interior had a real thick musk to it.

Note the power seat.

Six power windows (including the rear window. It slides down)

Really cool instrument panel. Hard as hell to get a good picture though.

The hood wasn't nearly as long on this though. They made it up with the rear deck.

Intimidation.

Check out the bangbus sittin by the Connie!

A little too "pimpwagon" for me.

Having the white paint really accentuates the hood's length.

120 mph speedo in the '72. It only went to 85 mph after the '75 redesign.

Very cool.
One of my best friend's dad bought a 1958 Continental Mk III when they first came out. Also a black on black four door hardtop. The '58s had the same body as the one pictured only much less embellished with chrome accents (to me much more elegant). Shortly after his Dad got the car he took my friend and me to Vineland, N.J. ((I think) about 40 miles from where we lived)) to go to the dirt track Jalopy races. The two things I remember most about the car was its' super wide seats and the fact that the driver had to keep pulling over to let oncoming cars pass on the narrow N.J. roads. The car didn't stay long in my friend's Dad's possession the thing started to almost immediately to disintegrate, so his Dad (always had Packards before the Lincoln) traded it on a 1958 Fleetwood also triple black. My friend's Dad was a very successful Funeral Director in South Jersey ..... not a member of the mob!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The '58s were my favorite, mainly because the headlights were completely encased in chrome, and they didn't flow into the grille like the '59 and '60s did.

1958:

1959:

1960:

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
There is a place like this on I-55 on the way down to St. Louis. It is about an hour away from the IL/MO border and I am sure Jesda has passed it a few times. I pass it every time I go to visit my cousins down there.

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
That is the coolest car lot I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts