Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you have kept up with my car, you should know that it broke down about 2-3 months ago. See the "Great Balls of Fire" thread in the Eldo forums...

Anyway, it had been at the repair shop for 2 months. I thought they were just taking a long time to fix it, but it turns out they were busy fixing EVERYTHING on it.:eek:

I got replacements for things i didn't even know existed:D, new brakes, new filters, new solenoids, sensors, and a BRAND NEW VACUUM PUMP (which cost over $250).

Grand total, including labor......
(costs more than the car itself probably)

$1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They put SO MUCH new stuff in my car. They fixed my trunk too and my windshield washer SENSORS. THis is crazy. I never dreamed the car would be in this shape.

The only drawback is no A/C anymore as that would have cost WAAAAYYYY too much. BUT, since its Winter now, and they told me the heat works (along with the climate control for the first time:D ) i'm fine. I won't drive this car after the school year is over, so its no biggie...
But man, am I amazed right now....:sneaky:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
the Blue beast that was t-boned?

So glad to hear, as that car is sweet.

I have been thinking about picking up a '79-'84 Eldo, diesel... doing the head gasket job, then enjoying my 30mpg classic Caddy..... that is extremly slow :)

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Ok just do a propane conversion on a 307 or maybe 368 8/6/4 car and you'll be paying the same amount for fuel per mile as a Civic.

Oh and back then a lot of stuff was vacuum activated, before all the electronics came along. So a diesel car had to have a vacuum pump.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much would air con replacement be?
Too much. It would need a new compressor, and pretty much a complete new a/c system. It would also have to be retrofitted to the new a/c stuff, since it uses the old stuff right now.

ANd I think the climate control system is still a bit messed up. who knows...

At least I have it back, and its running, with new brakes!:)

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARGGHHHHH! My car is dead! I suppose it should be expected though, considering how many problems this car has.

My battery is dead. I have no clue what would have caused it, and there are tons of things on this car that could have caused it.

Help me compile a list of things that could have drained the battery, so when I get it started again, I can turn them off...

SO far, I have:

Lights
Trunk Pull-Down

Or do you think that maybe the battery just died of natural causes? I know they can do that sometimes? And I'm not sure how old my battery is. But then again, I have two batteries, and I don't think BOTH of them could have died at the same time of natural causes, could they?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Night Wolf said:
the Blue beast that was t-boned?

So glad to hear, as that car is sweet.

I have been thinking about picking up a '79-'84 Eldo, diesel... doing the head gasket job, then enjoying my 30mpg classic Caddy..... that is extremly slow :)
My 84 Eldo 4.1 with 325/4L 4speed got 25-26 and thats not bad for a big cad such as that.

-The Cadillac Rancher

·
Registered
108 Posts
ben72227 said:
ARGGHHHHH! My car is dead! I suppose it should be expected though, considering how many problems this car has.

My battery is dead. I have no clue what would have caused it, and there are tons of things on this car that could have caused it.
Check your grounds and your alternator - if the alt isn't putting out your batteries could have died an easy death. Also make sure your glowplugs are not staying on after the car has started (diesel, right?) -

I know on diesel VW's the alternator is different than on gas VW's (been through a couple of 'em that my son owned) -

But seriously - check the output of the alternator (should be able to do it with a 20 dollar multi-meter available at most automotive or electronics shops) and check the ground connections -

Best of luck

Steve

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I THINK I figured it out. I jumpstarted it today (it took an hour to for the Toyota Camry to charge up my two batteries, and it BARELY turned over, but I got it started.)

Anyway, I think the fools at the repair place left the courtesy lights on when they fixed the headlights, and I just didn't catch it. Oh well. At least the batteries are holding a charge...We'll see if it starts again in the morning. If it doesn't then that probably means i have a short in one of my fuses, and that would SUCK.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts