Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Toyota’s top US executive, Jim Press, has been named a vice chairman and president of Chrysler LLC today.

Press now holds the same title at Chrysler, as Tom LaSorda, both men will report to CEO Bob Nardelli. The company is reporting that Press will take on responsibilities involving sales, marketing, product strategy, and service, while LaSorda continues to oversee manufacturing and suppliers.

Working at Toyota for the last 37 years, Press leaves the position of chief operating officer for their North American operation, to work for Chrysler in a similar capacity. Press will skipper Chrysler’s North American and international sales, global marketing, product strategy, as well as service and parts.

Press will be joining fellow ex-Toyota exec Debra Wahl Meyer, as the second high-ranking officer to leave the company in the last month. Wahl Meyer left a position of vice president of marketing at Lexus to join the retooling Chrysler.

Saying in a statement that part of his job would be to strengthen and energize Chrysler’s dealers, Press noted “this is something I was passionate about at Toyota and will be passionate about at Chrysler.”"

SUMMARY: Jim Press is the guy who insisted on a bigger Camry for 1992, a proper full size pickup, and a Honda-competitive minivan. He had to do some serious arm-wringing to get the Japanese to build cars that Americans actually wanted. Without Press, Toyota would be FAR less successful than it is now and far less efficient in manufacturing. He also kept the UAW out of Toyota. Cerberus must have made a generous offer, and it was a damn smart move on their part.

Also, he's probably tired of the stodgy retards in Japanese management.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Wow, this'll really help Chrysler in the long run!

It's like 1978 again, except for Lee Iacocca (a transplant from Ford mind you, someone who made many significant moves in Ford's history), it's Jim Press.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Boys, this is gonna be in the history books.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
GO CHRYSLER, GO!

My heart has always been in the PentStar shape, but when they fell in lovew with the Omni, the Aries, the K Kar, and all that stuff, and killed the Imperial and trhe "Real" honest to God New Yorkers, I left them for Caddy & Lincoln.
I am hoping for the rebirth of an elegant Imperial with a 6.1 Hemi and AWD.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
As many of you know I am an unabashed Mopar-man and I think this is fantastic news. We all know what Press did for Toyota and his name and reputation has preceded him for years. I can only hope that his accomplishments at Toyota will directly translate to Chrysler.

This news is extremely reassuring for me as I was beginning to expect the worst after they had announced Nardelli as CEO. But now with Press in a Lutzian role my mind is a little more at ease. Everyone was all in a tizzy when it was announced the Wolfgang Bernhard wasn't offered an executive role (despite the fact it's no secret he's under a non-compete clause) but I feel this is a much, much, much better move for Chrysler. I just wonder how big of a carrot they dangled in front of him to lure him away from Toyota...

But poor LaSorda though... the man's been done the dirty to him twice now. I really hope he sticks around because he really is good at what he does... especially with UAW talks pending.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Maybe Press just realized that since Toyota killed off the MR2, the Supra, and anything else with soul in favor of blah-blah-blah-bland! that you may as well be working at Oster making blenders.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Some reasons I think Jim Press jumped:

- While he was on the managing board of Toyota, he will never run it.

- He probably got more joy out of building the Toyota brands into being top tier brands in their segments rather than maintaining that position. This is what he will need to do at Chrysler.

- They probably offered him an obscene amount of money and upside potential when they take the company public again.

- A Viper as a company car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts