Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
holy crap Alantes hold their value!

i was jusr looking through the local classified newspaper website and thought i would just look for some alantes... heres what i found.

1992 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
$11,495, OFF WHITE, 67,157 mi, 8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,CD,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, Removable Roof, Driver Front Air Bag, THE CLASSIC CADILLAC, COULD BE YOURS, CALL TODAY, VIN:1G6VS3380NU125201, Stock No:J25201, This price includes America's best 1 year warr. Creative Finan.& Leasing avail. On line vehicle locator serv. Free deliv in tri-state area. Not all cars in Darien. Please call, e-mail or inst. mess. us first to seriously inquire 203-656-1443

1989 CADILLAC ALLANTE
$12,500, White, 116,356 mi, 2 dr,8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, In Great Shape!!, Drives Great!!, A Must See!!, Convertible!!, VIN:1G6VR3183KU102103, Stock No:G1810, Long Meadow Motor Cars, 5 Enfield St., Enfield, CT, (860)253-9587

1993 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
red, 44K mi, 2 dr, 8 cyl, alarm, auto, fully loaded, black convertible top with red removable hardtop, black leather interior, one owner, mint condition, $26,000. (203) 744-7412 (4X) [email protected]. Danbury

these cars are still VERY expensive compated to most luxury cars from their time... do people still actually pay this much for them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

davesdeville said:
How does 92 qualify as classic?
They didn't build too many of these cars ( comparativly speaking ) and some of them got torn up and died an early death. A nice Allante will hold it's value and is considered by many to be a "Classic" ( Particularly the later ones with the Northstar engine ) These are great cars but they have their idiosyncracies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

AKPsiMC03 said:
i was jusr looking through the local classified newspaper website and thought i would just look for some alantes... heres what i found.

1992 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
$11,495, OFF WHITE, 67,157 mi, 8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,CD,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, Removable Roof, Driver Front Air Bag, THE CLASSIC CADILLAC, COULD BE YOURS, CALL TODAY, VIN:1G6VS3380NU125201, Stock No:J25201, This price includes America's best 1 year warr. Creative Finan.& Leasing avail. On line vehicle locator serv. Free deliv in tri-state area. Not all cars in Darien. Please call, e-mail or inst. mess. us first to seriously inquire 203-656-1443

1989 CADILLAC ALLANTE
$12,500, White, 116,356 mi, 2 dr,8 cyl,ABS,air,am/fm cass,auto,cruise,leath int,pb,pdl,p seats,ps,pw,tilt, In Great Shape!!, Drives Great!!, A Must See!!, Convertible!!, VIN:1G6VR3183KU102103, Stock No:G1810, Long Meadow Motor Cars, 5 Enfield St., Enfield, CT, (860)253-9587

1993 CADILLAC ALLANTE CONVERTIBLE
red, 44K mi, 2 dr, 8 cyl, alarm, auto, fully loaded, black convertible top with red removable hardtop, black leather interior, one owner, mint condition, $26,000. (203) 744-7412 (4X) [email protected]. Danbury

these cars are still VERY expensive compated to most luxury cars from their time... do people still actually pay this much for them?

Dan,
I think the prices that you cited in the ads are substantially higher than the market. By the descriptions, these cars are nothing exceptional; they are just "used cars". Ebay may be somewhat more representative of the prices that Allantes are actually changing hands for (cash.. no trades, etc.). There are always 200-300 Allantes for sale at any time thru all venues so it is hardly a seller's market.
Brian Bray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Brian Bray said:
Dan,
I think the prices that you cited in the ads are substantially higher than the market. By the descriptions, these cars are nothing exceptional; they are just "used cars". Ebay may be somewhat more representative of the prices that Allantes are actually changing hands for (cash.. no trades, etc.). There are always 200-300 Allantes for sale at any time thru all venues so it is hardly a seller's market.
Brian Bray
Yeah, I hope no one thinks this is some sort of collectors item. The last time this sort of thing happened was with the '76 convert Eldos. People somehow got into their heads that those Eldos were collectors items because Cadillac prematurely announced that they were no longer going to build ragtops anymore. The prices skyrocketed for them but then not too long after the bottom fell out. I doubt that any modern Cadillac will ever become a true collector's item.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
701 Posts
I think as time goes on that the Allante will continue to be a collector car. Many of the owners are almost cult like in their love for the Allante. If you don't think so, just spend some time on the Allantenet.us site any brouse the archives. I love my 1993 Triple Black Allante without the digital dash. I bought it because I loved the lines and the power of the Cadillac V-8. I prefer the Analog dash, but most Allantes had the digital dash.

I wish that the asking price for the ad were represenative of the market, but that is not the case. If I thought for a minute that I could get $26,000 for mine, write me a check. I don't want to sell mine at all, but for that kind of cabbage I could get two more "93's" and call the buyer back to see if his brother in law wanted one and put the other in my garage. I think the Cadillac Convertable is back with the XLR, and when they start to drop in price like the Allante did, I will think of getting one. Until then I will patiently wait and admire them and the CTSv from the seat of my soon to be Classic Allante.

As for the 1976 Eldorado's, I would love one and I think that they might be collectors. They are fine looking cars, but most are in the boneyard and very few left on the road in really good condition. I would love to have a white one with red leather interior, but I have too many toys as it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Liseckas said:
Yeah, I hope no one thinks this is some sort of collectors item. The last time this sort of thing happened was with the '76 convert Eldos. People somehow got into their heads that those Eldos were collectors items because Cadillac prematurely announced that they were no longer going to build ragtops anymore. The prices skyrocketed for them but then not too long after the bottom fell out. I doubt that any modern Cadillac will ever become a true collector's item.

On the other hand, most luxury 2 seat convertibles DO become collectibles eventually and increase in value. And as an Allante owner, I certainly hope that happens and statistics are on my side. Unfortunately, that is not right now, so I am forced to just enjoy my car.
Woe is me..somebody' got to do it!

Brian Bray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Allante North * said:
As for the 1976 Eldorado's, I would love one and I think that they might be collectors. They are fine looking cars, but most are in the boneyard and very few left on the road in really good condition. I would love to have a white one with red leather interior, but I have too many toys as it is.
My brother and I sold our dad's '76 Eldo Barritz Convert for $3k about 6 mos ago. It had sat in his garage since 1996 but unbelievibly, it started up when we put a new battery and some gas in it. It was white w/white top and white leather interior. Overall it was in very good condition as it had less than 55,000 original miles on it. For the last 10 years he used it he'd enter it every year in the local Cadillac club car show and win a prize.

It did have some damage in one front corner from a minor accident he had on the last day we let him drive it, but all parts replaceable.

The guy who bought it says he's put a few grand into it to bring it back to better than good condition and reliable operation. I hate to think what kinda mileage it gets.

If I remember correctly that car had a 472ci. engine; biggest Cad V-8 ever made, right?

..rickko..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

rickko said:
If I remember correctly that car had a 472ci. engine; biggest Cad V-8 ever made, right?

..rickko..
Actually the biggest one is the 500V8 which was in that '76. They are the same dimensions on the outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Well I must have struck a bit of a nerve with the Allante owners. The fact though is if you check resale values on the Allante's, such as KBB.com, Nadaguides.com, Edmiunds.com, etc., they are still valued at a fraction of their original MSRP. Compare it to the car it was supposedly targeting, the Mercedes Benz SL roadster, (the MSRP was about the same as the Allante) the MB's resale values are holding up much better that the Allante's. Also MB still produces an SL roadster to this day. Cadillac discontinued the Allante due to disappointing sales. It had many quality issues that didn't help either. Basically it was the consumer that killed the Allante. If Cadillac would have built it to the same standards that MB did their SL, the Allante would truly be a collectors item.
A true collectors item is a car that is in high demand and is worth more than what it originally sold for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Liseckas said:
Well I must have struck a bit of a nerve with the Allante owners. The fact though is if you check resale values on the Allante's, such as KBB.com, Nadaguides.com, Edmiunds.com, etc., they are still valued at a fraction of their original MSRP. ...
You probably did with some.

I own one but don't think its a collector's item or a "classic"; its just one hell'va car. I think most of the ones running today have had all the bugs worked out of them so for they price they are a real buy IMO. Plus you've got to admit, they are are kinda unique now that they've been out of production for so long. In fact, there aren't too many other examples you can give where you can buy a once priced $60k+ used auto today for a song, and still be able to enjoy the luxury, design and power that someone else originally paid heavily to enjoy as well.

Like any vehicle that gets old, if you keep it running and looking meticulously beautiful, it'll bring you and the next owner great pleasure and its depreciation won't be much.

I didn't buy mine new, infact only got it earlier this year so i suspect when the time comes to move it on to someone else it won't be priced much less than when I bought it. It certainly won't depreciate as much as a new car would had I bought a new car for the same price I paid for the Allante. :)

In fact that's one of the reasons I RARELY ever buy new cars. I also hate taking the depreciation loss and don't like spending half of my ownership time debugging its flaws through constant trips to the dealership for warranty repairs. Let the first buyer who has the biggest investment deal with all that. By the time he has, he'll be tired of it, then I'll snag it. :)

..rickko..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

It's always great to see someone got a good deal on a car they like. I've recently become very disillusioned about the newer Cadillac's and GM's in general (anything less than 25 years old). Maybe I've been focusing too much on the negative things I've been reading in the various forums and possibly, I haven't paid too much attention to the positive (or have not found enough). It could be that there are always far more people who will complain about various things than those who will praise what they own based on the premise, "that's the way it should be". So it may end up seeming that there far more unhappy owners than happy owners, because it's just the majority is just keeping quiet. Maybe.
The thing is that I have seen first hand all the many problems people have had with GM cars and with the "people" (con artists IMO) who sell and service them, myself and many others I personally know included. I have had far more disappointing experiences with the GM con artists than I have had satisfying ones.
Yes, I agree with buying a car used, the bugs are worked out and they have depreciated about as much as they can.
My last new GM was a '99 and I will not buy another new GM or any other American car until I see some positive changes first hand.
0.0% currently equals my consumer confidence in GM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Liseckas said:
Well I must have struck a bit of a nerve with the Allante owners. The fact though is if you check resale values on the Allante's, such as KBB.com, Nadaguides.com, Edmiunds.com, etc., they are still valued at a fraction of their original MSRP. Compare it to the car it was supposedly targeting, the Mercedes Benz SL roadster, (the MSRP was about the same as the Allante) the MB's resale values are holding up much better that the Allante's. Also MB still produces an SL roadster to this day. Cadillac discontinued the Allante due to disappointing sales. It had many quality issues that didn't help either. Basically it was the consumer that killed the Allante. If Cadillac would have built it to the same standards that MB did their SL, the Allante would truly be a collectors item.
A true collectors item is a car that is in high demand and is worth more than what it originally sold for.
Could you post those figures? A 1990 Allante is worth roughly half of a 1990 SL. The 1990 Allante was around $52k without the hardtop, $58k with. What was a 1990 SL going for? (The V8 version, not the V6). I suspect that the Allante won't match the MB for % of MSRP retained, but it will have a pretty respectable showing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
701 Posts
Not to Shabby I agree!

For a low mileage hopefully soon to be classic with a hard top, I think that was a fair price. Other would agree and some would disagree. My wife wants a Benz convertable, and they seem to hold their values to the point that a low mileage late 70's 450SL brings much more than an Allante. What would I rather have? An Allante, but if Momma ain't happy nobodys happy and if Daddy ain't happy nobody cares. She will get her Benz one day, but I wonder how long she will be happy with it. My Allante will stay in the garage for as long as I can keep it shiney and running or XLR's depriciate to the point that I can afford one.

I fell in love with the Allante when I first saw them. It only took me 10 years to finally justify buying one that was low mileage(40,000) and in great shape. I now have about 58,000 miles on the clock and I have only had it for three years. Its not a car I drive everyday, and Yes it is a garage Queen. When I do drive it I truely love the time behind the wheel. My wife will drive her Benz everyday if and when we get it, but I think that her love for the car will fade after she spends some time behind the wheel. I may be wrong, and I may growe to like the Benz as well, but the Allante is still my favorite rag top and that will not fade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Yea, I still like mine. A lot of people don't know what it is and always ask. It's nice to have something and not see yourself coming in the opposite direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Allante North * said:
Not to Shabby I agree!

For a low mileage hopefully soon to be classic with a hard top, I think that was a fair price. Other would agree and some would disagree. My wife wants a Benz convertable, and they seem to hold their values to the point that a low mileage late 70's 450SL brings much more than an Allante. What would I rather have? An Allante, but if Momma ain't happy nobodys happy and if Daddy ain't happy nobody cares. She will get her Benz one day, but I wonder how long she will be happy with it. My Allante will stay in the garage for as long as I can keep it shiney and running or XLR's depriciate to the point that I can afford one.

I fell in love with the Allante when I first saw them. It only took me 10 years to finally justify buying one that was low mileage(40,000) and in great shape. I now have about 58,000 miles on the clock and I have only had it for three years. Its not a car I drive everyday, and Yes it is a garage Queen. When I do drive it I truely love the time behind the wheel. My wife will drive her Benz everyday if and when we get it, but I think that her love for the car will fade after she spends some time behind the wheel. I may be wrong, and I may growe to like the Benz as well, but the Allante is still my favorite rag top and that will not fade.
I have owned several (12) Mercedes SLs all years. I currently own a '73 450SL with about 80,000 miles (I bought it with 55,000 about 5 years ago). Here are some Mercedes SL suggestions that you may use as a quiet guide while looking for an SL fir your wife: If simpler is better for YOU, consider an earlier car; they are relatively difficult to locate, but no more expensive (sometimes less).

The '73s have the least pollution stuff and they kept hanging on pollution stuff up through the '70's. Avoid the '75s and 76's as they were the worst. In the early '80's they went to a smaller engine and the cars became a 380SL. Finally, the late '80s became the 560SL which is a lovely, powerful car but much more complex.

Up through the mid-80's, the cars had a manual top (that may be a problem for your wife, but it is foolproof and works easier than an Allante unit!). All of the cars through 1989 look the same EXCEPT the '73s appear different as the bumpers are closer to the body; they are the "small bumper" cars.

Later cars had an automatic A/C which is a very complicated system; whereas the earlier cars had a straightforward manual A/C system. The Mercedes A/C (either manual or automatic) is not nearly as good as a GM unit.

The interior of the later cars have more wood, but you can add the wood dash kit (just like an Allante). Parts are equally available for both.

Brian Bray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

I love the NS Allante and have had the honor of owning two over the years, both 93's, the last I sold in 2000. Other than the poor weight distribution due the the ultra heavy nose and the extremely lose body integrity, the other problem I had was resale. I figured that a NS Allante was definatly a rare car, but the resale of them compared to new is just as bad, if not worse than any other cadillac.

Being around cars I have determined that Cadillac resale is poor because of the owners. Unfortunalty most of them have lots of money and buy a new Cadillac every couple years. When they go in to the dealer, they are so willing to "give" the car away on trade, thus dropping the value of everyone else that owns the same model. This also makes for a hell of a great job as a salesman at a used Cadillac delership... I mean the dealer can make 10-12G's on one car just from "stealing" them from the willing trade ins and can make for a hell of a paycheck for a car salesman. A friend made well over 100K for many years doing just this at a dealer. Mercedes are right on this line too. Cant think of anywhere else you can lose as much money than on a new mercedes.. Not even the casino!

Compare Cadillac resale to a chevy truck resale. The average chevy truck owner does not have the funds the new cadillac buyer and trader has. When the chevy truck owner goes to the dealer, he is usually insulted on the trade offer and does not let his truck go, He ends up keeping it for years and driving the wheels off of it, thus making nice used chevy trucks kind of rare and is the answer for their great resale value. Supply and demand. Unfortunatly I dont think its ever going to change for cadillac due to the clientel, but it sure makes for great used cars for cheap!


Sold this great car below in 00. Had the basic NS mods along with suspension and my farorive wheels to put on FWD cads. I regret selling it, but had to do it while it was still worth something. Got mid 30's for it at the time and thought I was giving it away. Glad I sold it whne I did. Had 22,000 on it. Today these are great values as you can get these with modest miles in the high teens. Just put some sub frame connectors on them as they are sloppy. I have debated on finding another, but the STS is such a better balanced car, I kind of am partial to its feel over having no roof. I always keep my eyes open though.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Re: holy crap Alantes hold their value!

Ultra Slow said:
Sold this great car below in 00. Had the basic NS mods along with suspension and my farorive wheels to put on FWD cads. I regret selling it, but had to do it while it was still worth something. Got mid 30's for it at the time and thought I was giving it away. Glad I sold it whne I did. Had 22,000 on it. Today these are great values as you can get these with modest miles in the high teens. Just put some sub frame connectors on them as they are sloppy. I have debated on finding another, but the STS is such a better balanced car, I kind of am partial to its feel over having no roof. I always keep my eyes open though.
I like the wheels. What brand are they?

What did you mean regarding subframe connectors? Did you put them on yours?

When I couldn't find the exact replacement subframe mounts (the rubber donuts) from GM, I considered going to aluminum or plastic replacements. Instead, I opted for a mix of other other year Allante and some Eldo pieces. Still thinking about going with solid mounts though in the future.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
BOODER
Top