Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a Realtor and today I took someone out to see a $2,000,000+ home in HOFFA JR, board shorts, persols, hawaiian shirt, typical So. Cal. Realtor. We arrived at the home no problem, top down, Johnny Cash in the 8 Track... Fortunately her Husband came to the home a half hour later cuz HOFFA JR didn't really wanna leave! My client left with her Husband in their convertible Benz but I wasn't so lucky.

Dropper 'er in drive and it was slip central, put 'er in 2 and she hooked up but bumpy and a bit of slipping. By the time I nursed the old pig home I was in 1 with major slippage and a bit of grindage. She's full of trans fluid and but the dip stick seemed a bit black (metal shavings???). I'm thinking that's one dust transmission but I can't rule out a slipping spline or a broken CV.

HOFFA JR is a very nice 1973 Triple Black Eldo Convertible with a blown Trans.

I'm guessing $850 for a rebuilt Trans installed. Anyone have a clue?

She's getting towed to Mr. Goodwrench on Monday, I don't wanna risk breaking any spendy parts.
:alchi:

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My forward clutch pack is toast, both CV boots are dust. The cost of the CV boots plus the labor is the same as buying completely rebuilt axles so I'm getting two rebuilt axles as well.

This is gonna sting!

K

·
0 Posts
New boots are cheap and easy.
The quality of some axles are questionable.
If your axles are still good, I would keep them.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure they are cheap and easy if you've got the time to DIY, but for about the same cost of the labor to do inner and outer boots plus the parts I can have the rebuilt parts with a 1 year warranty that covers parts and labor. I think tossing the 35 year old half shafts is the best way for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts